Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-27, 7:37am

Exclamation Bead Release

Having trouble with bead release cracking and loosing beads. What kind do you like the best. Most of my glass is soft but I make big beads.
Old 2010-07-27, 4:22pm

I buff my mandrels with sandpaper before dipping. I use Fusion bead release with very little breakage.

Add glass when it is molten. Don't tug when you reach glass that isn't hot enough.

Do a search there are tons of threads on this subject.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-07-27, 4:42pm
lurking on LE since 2005

Default TX, hmmmm

I use Fusion too, but I have found any bead release really is OK, you really have to try a few for yourself and see what you like, and what works for your environment. I never really found them to be all that different, and have had success mixing a couple to combine their qualities.

People get a little passionate about their bead release, and everybody will swear theirs is the best!

I will tell you I had a heck of a time with Fusion when I took a class in TX!!
I broke more bead release in that class than I have in the past 5 years...just unbelievable. Maybe it's the lack of humidity..?
We do not lack for humidity here in VA. Or heat.

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2010-07-28, 9:22am
Glass-aholic

foster fire for :"boro and presses" or even just "smooth n tuff".. both GREAT!
Sludge plus/ or dip n go .. the blue stuff, is also very good.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2010-07-29 at 8:26am.
Old 2010-07-28, 12:14pm
To bead Yeah! ;)

Sludge plus is tough like nails, doesn't crack under pressing etc, but hell you nearly need to break the mandrel to get the bead off!!
I have just received the bead release from Davardi, which got highly recomended on Le by someone, will try it out and let you know

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2010-07-28, 1:06pm

Speaking of bead release are there any that dont have any health hazards? the one i have has a warning about one of the ingredients causing cancer.

My Etsy:

My Ebay:
Old 2010-07-28, 1:12pm
Life is good

I just started using ABR's release and it works great with 104 and 33

Old 2010-07-28, 1:35pm
Queen Tut ;)

I personally like Fusion, it holds up to my abuse and most beads come off relatively easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divina126 View Post
Speaking of bead release are there any that dont have any health hazards? the one i have has a warning about one of the ingredients causing cancer.
I think most all will have that warning because they have a silica ingredient...and the state of CA requires that warning. It's the reason I soak my beads to get them off the mandrel...inhaling bead release in powder form is dangerous. I could also recommend a mask, but I don't follow my own recommendation

Old 2010-07-29, 8:33pm

Double post when I tried to edit! Sorry folks!

Last edited by SadiesJewels; 2010-07-29 at 8:36pm. Reason: double posting
Old 2010-07-29, 8:35pm

Fusion ... I started using it after a Bronwen Heilman class. It's what she uses (or used to if she's changed) and could reheat the beads a second time with the bead release still intact between the bead and mandrel. I've used it ever since.

Oh and I mix mine with a very small amount of Fosters ... for easy removal when I want to.

Sadie

Old 2010-07-29, 9:32pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I mix Dip n Go Sludge (from Reenie) 50/50 with K.R.A.G. Mudd (from Kittrell-Riffkind in Dallas). The Dip n Go adds the strength and wearability the Mudd lacks and the Mudd cuts the tenacity of the Dip and Go so the release comes out of the beads and the beads come off the mandrels easier. I'm in North Texas. I really do believe what works best for you is based on your environment. I had to experiment and play around awhile to hit on the combination I liked.

Old 2010-07-30, 10:14am
Feminist Killjoy

I just ordered some Zippz bead release. We'll see how it goes..
I've been using Alice's release for a while now, because Tink recommended it. Eh. It's got a lot of grog in it and tends to break off if the mandrels aren't used right away. I'm hoping the Zippz will be the miracle release it's supposed to be.
Old 2010-07-30, 10:34am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Hi other Astrid

I find sofar that the Davardi release is not quite as strong as sludge plus, so I have mixed the two together for strength and better release

Astrid

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!
Old 2010-07-30, 11:29am
Hobby Junkie

I'm a Fusion fan! It holds up great for soft and boro. The beads come off easy. Not to mention... to clean the beads, I just rub them along the mandrel under running water and 99% of the release washes out!

Old 2010-07-30, 5:29pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid Riedel View Post
Hi other Astrid

I find sofar that the Davardi release is not quite as strong as sludge plus, so I have mixed the two together for strength and better release

Astrid
Can you tell my mother was German?

Old 2010-07-31, 10:30am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

i like sludge plus and blue sludge the best. hard to find many that carry it in the 16 ounce quantity or have it in stock most of the time though. (especially the blue sludge).

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-07-31, 10:32am
The Crazy One

Wooooo Hooooooooo I get to post my "Bead Release Rant!" again.....

Wow, It CAN BE DONE! I know your asking just what can be done, but understand it’s taken forever to find out and I’m excited!

FPI aka Fusion can be totally reconstituted with beer!

Kati found a bottle of FPI completely dried out and chunked up. While I haven’t used any release in ages, it was a challenge the voice loved! Add some beer, soak for a bit, add some more beer and give it a shake. Let it soak, add a bit more beer and a small marble, shake. Dipped a mandrel and waited a couple of weeks (OK so you really didn’t think I was gonna jump back into sticks so soon did ya?). Finally Hangs Well Dave (NO, Shawn, I did not say hung well Dave) landed at the loco cabana for a fish lesson and the beer dip was used…

It performed just as well as it always has. Meaning no broken bead release even with a boro fish! Ahhhhh it’s so sweet to finally be able to answer that question that’s been in my head for so long!

Ohhhhh and for those of you who haven’t seen my bead release rant, here it is:

Please take no offense. I understand that people have their likes and dislikes in bead release. I understand I do. I have used various releases at various venues: Blue Sludge, FF, some pink crap at a studio (because I didn't know enough to bring my own), Dirty Looie's (yup wasted 3 bucks on that!).

I use Fusion (FPI), always have. Other than the 3 bucks for the DL (used it twice. Once with good success, the other causing a painful death by water, but at least I enjoyed the sound effects!). I have only bought Fusion. It's what I started with. It's never given me any problems. For me it's easy to clean, easy to release, easy to have a relationship with. By that I mean I have used mandrels I dipped over 6 months ago, mandrels that I have double dipped, and mandrels that I have flame dried.

I have had to thin the stuff, but it works just as well when it's thick. I have thinned with lots of different things: Tap water, bottled water, water out of my bead cleaning can, and yes, even beer!

I expect a lot from a bead release:
I want one without a personality! I have enough of those in my head as it is. I want it hold when I burn, twist, jab, add glass and pull. I want it to not be offended by those wonkers that have been in all the jars I have owned for the last 6 years (I do occasionally wonder what they look like. I'm just not brave enough to pull them out).

I want a release that’s abusable, I abuse my glass, my mandrels, my torch, my tools, and my Studio Wench Pam, before she left. I expect nothing but the best performance from everything in my studio. OK so sometimes my Studio Wench would busy torching along with me and couldn’t get me that beer I wanted, but otherwise she was the greatest!

I hate to shop, I dislike decisions, I don't like change. I have found the release that gives me everything I need so I'm sticking with it. Fusion.
Old 2011-02-27, 7:13am

Wow, thanks so much for all the info! I just found thid old post I did and will try Fusion!

Mary Ann
DAUGHTER OF THE KING!
Loving life and Lampworking

Old 2011-02-27, 11:20am
Triumphantly Knit!

I"m so glad this thread came up...I'm using fusion. Easy to remove beads, but I have itty bitty lumps. and so some of my beads have mini scalloped holes. and not smooth scallops. I did have to thin it a bit and that's when I noticed lumps more like bits. it's not sleek smooth anymore and I notice when using a press it breaks off. this has really been frustrating me.
I think I've got some organic beer in the back of the fridge that's about, maybe 8 years old, perhaps it's found a use?

I have some bucket o mud and I've been liking hotline.
But what gives with the lumpy fusion?
thanks
Angel Light
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible

Last edited by 2tumblingdragonz; 2011-02-27 at 11:51am. Reason: error
Old 2011-02-27, 12:22pm

I used Bucket o mud which i loved but it is no longer available. I then tried Fusion and hated it. I am now using Blue Sludge and I love it.
Old 2011-02-27, 12:33pm
אהבה אני ישו

My favorite combo of bead release is 1/2 and 1/2 Fusion and Foster Fire. Foster Fire lets you get the beads off the mandrel easily and the Fusion helps keep the release from breaking while working.

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2011-02-27, 4:44pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I used to use Fusion for years, but finally started questioning my release after I noticed that my expensive new diamond bits were worn out of the grit in two weeks. That got me mad, and I got a hint from a fellow lampworker that fusion has an incredient in it that wears out the diamond bits, no matter how much under water you clean your beads. So now I only use Sludge. It is tougher to get off the mandrels, but hey, my beads hardly ever break loose in a middle of torching!
Old 2011-02-27, 5:00pm
Will work for Glass

I used bucket of Mudd and loved it...tried foster...lost a bunch of beads becuase it cracked easily.still have a huge bottle of it for emergency use only.....now I only use fusion. Holds tight but I can get the beads off the mandrel without much effort.

Northern Mermaid Beads

Old 2011-02-27, 5:18pm
grama punky - class junky

another fusion fan here

Old 2011-02-27, 6:43pm
Triumphantly Knit!

actually I had switched to hotline and that's where the tiny lumps, like little dots, are.
I have noticed that not one person mentioned hotline.
If I rub the dried bead release with my finger it smooths out but how dangerous is this, I remove my beads under water so I don't get much dust my I'm really concerned so I don't know...I may just throw it out and mix fusion and bom.
I do sand my mandrels and it's till cracking off when I use a press.
Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-28, 5:38pm
Glass-aholic

I think you are fine with the TINY amount of dust you may be creating. Most sits on your finger. I would not worry about it. You are probably creating more dust opening the jar...

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-02-28, 7:24pm

Fusion or Alices depending on the bead I am making.
Jodie

Worlds in miniature a passion for murrini - Jodie McDougall
Old 2011-02-28, 9:06pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

I just started using "Dip-n-Go Sludge" and love it! Also use Foster Fire sometimes.

Jack

Old 2011-03-01, 7:57am

I alternate between Fusion and KRAG and love them both. All I ever have to do to clean the inside of my beads is run them up and down the mandrel with some soapy water and the holes come out nice and clean. KRAG is better for transparents - it leaves almost zero residue.

Old 2011-03-01, 8:46am
what's a senior moment ?

BOM is available once again on Ebay. Look for mudmankevin