Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-24, 9:34pm

Talking Stainless flower frog

I ordered this off ebay and it arrived quickly. I just thought I would share my under $6.00 find in case anyone else was looking for a cheap tool.

You can also see my new box-O-glass.

Here is a link to the same flower frog on ebay. Hope it is ok to share this. It isn't my auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Kenzan...24597967092234
Attached Images

Old 2012-05-24, 9:57pm

I love using these to make strawberries!
Old 2012-05-24, 10:03pm

I can't wait to play with it. I am such a nerd.
Old 2012-05-24, 10:20pm
Chief Creative Goddess

I want the Box-ooooohhhhhhh-glass!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-05-24, 10:21pm
Chief Creative Goddess

I actually have 2 old old frogs of my other mother's--they are fun to use--but be careful--those nasty little points reach out to unsuspecting soft flesh and BITE!!

Old 2012-05-24, 11:03pm

Just make sure that the base isn't lead, or some other soft, low-melting temperature metal. The last one I saw like this had a lead base.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-05-24, 11:11pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
Just make sure that the base isn't lead, or some other soft, low-melting temperature metal. The last one I saw like this had a lead base.

Malcolm

I didn't know anything lead could be sold anymore.
I know I can't buy lead shot or fishing weights.

From the machining on the back it looks like an aluminium base.

I bought one to check it out, thanks to the OP for posting it.

Old 2012-05-25, 3:11am
what's a senior moment ?

Thanks for posting the link. Trying to find one around home is impossible.

Old 2012-05-25, 10:20am

It feels like stainless. The same ebayer has a square one listed as all stainless that looks the same as this round one. I really don't think it is lead like most of them out there are. I will also try not to leave it on the seat of m y chair.
Old 2012-05-25, 10:33am
Born Facing Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post

Malcolm
Malcolm, all of my kenzans have lead bases with brass spikes. I've wondered whether or not this is hazardous, but the glass doesn't go anywhere near the lead base, and it doesn't even get all that hot; I have it on an aluminum heat-sink, for what that's worth....should I reconsider using these, do you think? I like the idea of stainless steel, I wonder how sticky the stainless spikes would get, but I guess quenching wouldn't be an issue...hmmmm.

Old 2012-05-25, 10:35am
Jacqueline Parkes

Hmmmm how are they used for flowers or am I misunderstanding??

Old 2012-05-25, 12:54pm

Real flowers? You put it at the bottom of a vase and stick your flower stems on to hold the arrangement in place. I will be using it to add air bubbles to marbles, if I can manage to pull that off.
Old 2012-05-25, 12:57pm
Back to 👊 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
Hmmmm how are they used for flowers or am I misunderstanding??
They are used at the bottom of a vase then you poke the end of the flower stem into the frog to anchor the arrangement.

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2012-05-25, 1:05pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh sorry, I have glass flowers on the brain lol

Old 2012-05-25, 1:32pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
Malcolm, all of my kenzans have lead bases with brass spikes. I've wondered whether or not this is hazardous, but the glass doesn't go anywhere near the lead base, and it doesn't even get all that hot; I have it on an aluminum heat-sink, for what that's worth....should I reconsider using these, do you think? I like the idea of stainless steel, I wonder how sticky the stainless spikes would get, but I guess quenching wouldn't be an issue...hmmmm.
A little old rag (I cut wasted or cheap dishrags in half, dollar stores are a good source for cheapies, or goodwill et all) in a tuna can (clean, of course, lol) of ice water. I wring it out single handed, plop it on the tines to quench. Easy peasy, works well for me.

Old 2012-05-25, 5:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
A little old rag (I cut wasted or cheap dishrags in half, dollar stores are a good source for cheapies, or goodwill et all) in a tuna can (clean, of course, lol) of ice water. I wring it out single handed, plop it on the tines to quench. Easy peasy, works well for me.
Great tip. Thank you!
Old 2012-05-25, 7:30pm
Dynamic Duo

Curious about the lead comments. Don't quite a few of the glasses we use have lead? Don't know here. As a former studio ceramics artist, I just presumed they did, as the chemicals are usually the same between glass and high fired ceramics.

Old 2012-05-25, 9:23pm

I think some of the glass colors still contain lead. I grew up with a stained glass artist as my mom and was always told most of the glass had lead in it, and with stained glass so did the solder.
Old 2012-05-26, 6:22pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I've just ordered one of these, too. I've been looking around Australia, and they're very hard to get. The local florist said she could get me one, but I'd be looking at about $30 for the same thing (retail).

The ad just says 'metal', which to me means probably aluminium or an alloy of same/steel. That's cool. It's not like I'd be using it repeatedly, press, press, press. I think that would be messy. I like my bubbles uniform

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-05-27, 9:47pm

I played with it a little today and it seems to work fine for what I need. Hope it works well for those of you that grabbed one too.