Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-10, 3:53pm
Molten Glass Addict

Question New temp controller question

Hello everyone. Just got my first ever temperature controller hooked up and there is about a 40 degree range as it cycles during the soak time. As the relay(?) is turning the kiln on and off the temp varies by up to 40 degrees (sometimes more). Is that normal? So, at a 960 degree soak, the temp ranges from 940 to 980.

As it ramps down the range is closer to 20 degree differences between the on/off cycles.

I hope I explained this correctly. I'm a little confused with all the terminology.

Thanks, looking forward to finding out what is going on. I've been reading threads for hours, and my eyeballs hurt. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me in my younger days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2014-08-11, 1:06am
Alaska Boro

Check the manual and see if there is an auto tune function.

Using a PXR-3 with a SSR and do not see any wide temperature swings.
Old 2014-08-11, 6:01am
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Check the manual and see if there is an auto tune function.

Using a PXR-3 with a SSR and do not see any wide temperature swings.
Thanks, I'll have to contact the company, as the manual sent with it is very basic. I've got my fingers crossed that there can be a tweak!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2014-08-11, 8:24am

Default Temperature controller

Most temperature controller manufacturers websites have manuals you can download.

Try a google search for your brand controller and another search on youtube. You can often find instructions from other users that can be extremely helpful.