Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-08-10, 7:02pm
Fire Diva

Hey Kim! What is the flame like compared to a bobcat or lynx?

Just wondering since I might need to get a cricket too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-10, 7:20pm
California grrl

Pleeeeez Let Me Order A Purple One ~ Kim !!
Old 2008-08-10, 8:04pm

I want one in every color! hehehe. J'k, but that would be nice! I love my Bobcat. I like the name Cricket, but I think Kitten would have followed suit better..
Anyway, I would like to order a pink one.
Old 2008-08-11, 12:23am

I want a pink Kitten too and a purple Kitten. As soon as Kim says they will run together, I am ordering them!

Also Bumping this so that Kim doesn't forget!

Cheers
The other Kym
Old 2008-08-11, 12:28am
I need more boro stuff

I want purple one. Or maybe green... or... any other colors?

Old 2008-08-11, 7:39am
Sheila

I just called GTT and ordered mine! Purple with red and green knobs is the standard color. They said they plan to start shipping in mid-September.

Old 2008-08-11, 8:31am

I did also ! Look forward to trying this one out.

Old 2008-08-11, 10:40am
I'll get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadworkstudio View Post
I just called GTT and ordered mine! Purple with red and green knobs is the standard color. They said they plan to start shipping in mid-September.
Ive ordered mine too. Pink with pink knobs. Now all I have to do is find an oxycon
Old 2008-08-12, 3:15pm

I ordered the purple one but I want Kim to run a little test for me, hint, hint, before I order another in pink. I think these are going to be very popular!

Cheers
Kym
Old 2008-08-12, 3:47pm

They are SOOOOOOOO cute!! I carried one around the vendor room when Willy first unpacked them. I saw them used at open torch by lots of people, but didn't get the opportunity to try it myself, darn it! It sounds like a great torch and for the money you can't beat it. Last I saw Kristina Logan was ordering one from Willy at the GTT booth at the Gathering, and I think she went for pink!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2008-08-12, 4:15pm
Don't be a zombie...

Anyone got a pic of the face?
Old 2008-08-12, 6:13pm
Renee

I just got back from the Gathering where I tried the Cricket at open torch night -- and really, really liked it!! I liked especially liked the pinpoint flame -- that has been the one thing I haven't liked about my minor (which will be for sale soon because I ordered a green cricket!!)

Renee
Old 2008-08-12, 9:35pm
PyronamixK

I haven't forgotten, Kym! I just got back last night and hope that I can run a couple of Crickets tomorrow.

Open torch was a blast! There were a lot of people playing on the Crickets!
Old 2008-08-13, 3:53am
I need more boro stuff

I'm still can't decided to get cricket or lynx...

Old 2008-08-13, 5:01am

I like the Lynx but it doesn't suit my oxy or better to say, my oxy let me down. I think the cricket will be better.....anyway its also toooo cute! Purr purr.

Kym
Old 2008-08-13, 5:27am

I'm looking for a new torch and this torch just adds another one to the list of possibilities.
I still have a few questions:
Would it be possible to do (small) Boro with one 5 LPM concentrator?
Would the produced heat increase a lot when two 5LPM concentrators are used instead of one?

The torch looks very nice, I was thinking about a bobcat or a mini but I think this is maybe the best choiche(It's also the cheapest!)
I worked on a torch similar to a hothead for over a year, but I am now working at the limits of the torch. I like to make big beads(up to two inches)

Old 2008-08-13, 7:57am
Disconnected

I fell in love with Cricket at open torch... I was set on a Mega Minor but after talking with Willy I was sold even before I tried it. He really knows his trade and they have been working on developing this perfect little thing for a year and a half and it's a brilliant design.
It is going to be my first upgrade from the Hot Head and I love that it's so efficient and versatile. Even if I don't need a big honkin' flame now, I know I can grow up with this torch and try bigger beads or boro when and if I want to.

The price does sound too good to be true, but if the idea is great (and it is) and the fabrication costs are reasonable, it makes sense that they are confident that the product will sell very well. Now that's not even marketing strategy to me, it's just being so confident on your product that you don't even need a marketing strategy and you can rely on your customers to defend your product -like Mike Crowley's kilns.

I can't wait to get my green Cricket!

Old 2008-08-13, 8:30am
Ellyloo-YAH!

I still am kind of confused as to where in the scheme of things the cricket fits.
I was thinking of getting a bobcat on 1 concentrator. (up from a minor)
Should I get a cricket instead? (obviously the price is right!)

Old 2008-08-13, 10:16am

I used it at the gathering and Must say for the money you can't beat it. As where it fits into the GTT line it is design to be use with LOW PRESSURE. If your running higher pressure then 6 lpm you may want to conceder the bobcat or lynx.

The price of 130.00 is an introduction price so get them now. At that price there is no competition. It really is a fantastic torch. Willy and Wally are geniuses.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2008-08-13, 10:46am
Sheila

Kim, any idea what the normal price will be? My sister is thinking about it, and I'll encourage her not to wait if the price will go up significantly.

Old 2008-08-13, 11:45am

Wally told me it would be up around $200.00 But I don't think they have settled on the final price yet. Probably watching this first production to find out what their true production cost will be. I know they are shooting to keep the cost as low as possibly. The whole Idea be-hide this torch ( my Opinion ) is a high performance entry level torch that will smoke every other torch in its class. Using extremely low pressure. Which is exactly what a person needs when setting up a new studio with limited funds.

I don't know what the pressure was set at the gathering, but I melted some small Boro beads with it. Quite nicely I might add.
Scott

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-08-13 at 11:49am.
Old 2008-08-13, 11:59am

Kimberly, are you selling the Cricket yet, or do we order direct?

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-08-13, 12:17pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Hey Scott,

Can you give me some information on how think the cricket might compare to a minor on one oxycon?

I am considering getting one of the cricket torches. I have heard nothing but great reviews about all the GTT products and was also told that GTT torches burn much cleaner then the minor.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios View Post
Wally told me it would be up around $200.00 But I don't think they have settled on the final price yet. Probably watching this first production to find out what their true production cost will be. I know they are shooting to keep the cost as low as possibly. The whole Idea be-hide this torch ( my Opinion ) is a high performance entry level torch that will smoke every other torch in its class. Using extremely low pressure. Which is exactly what a person needs when setting up a new studio with limited funds.

I don't know what the pressure was set at the gathering, but I melted some small Boro beads with it. Quite nicely I might add.
Scott

Old 2008-08-13, 12:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginko View Post
Kimberly, are you selling the Cricket yet, or do we order direct?
I ordered it direct with GTT via email. More like getting my name on the list and they will notify us when they are available for shipping.

Kym
Old 2008-08-13, 12:40pm

I can't believe I am ordering another torch! Well trying to, GTT's number has been busy...

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-08-13, 12:46pm

Just got through. I'm on the list for a Purple Cricket/Kitten for my daughter. They are scheduled to be going out in September.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-08-13, 1:17pm
PyronamixK

The introductory price is $139. After that, it will go up to $167. For now, GTT is not offering the Cricket through any of its distributors (that means me, too, ).

But, if you order one directly, please, do me a favor and tell Wally I sent you.

The theory behind the Cricket is that instead of trying to make a concentrator set-up fit a torch, why not make a torch to fit the concentrator? So, GTT went and designed this torch to run well on very low pressure and flow.

OK, as far as how it compares to the Bobcat and the Lynx on 5 LPM, I will have to test it out. I'll try to update soon.
Old 2008-08-13, 1:24pm

Thanks for the info, Kimberly. I just called Wally and told him you sent me!
I think this is going to make an excellent show demonstration torch, and probably much more.
Purple for me.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-08-13, 1:28pm
I need more boro stuff

Kim, does the purple one have metallic finish like the green?

Old 2008-08-13, 1:40pm
PyronamixK

The standard purple one is annodized just like the manifold (back part where the valves go) on the standard GTTs. So, it is shiny metalic purple. The emerald green one in the picture I posted is powder coated with sparkles. They can do a purple powder coat with sparkles, too.