Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-08-18, 6:33pm
JOAT, Master of None

Default When to put the bead in the kiln?

I've been drooling over studio's again, and noticed that some people mentioned their kiln was in a different place.

When do you put your bead in the kiln? Do you keep them in vermiculite(SP?) until you're ready to put all of themin the kiln? Do you get the kiln hot first, and just keep adding beads are you get them done?

Thanks for straightening me out.
Robin
Old 2005-08-18, 6:51pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Robin,
My Kiln is right next to my work table in my studio. I turn my kiln on first thing every morning, and don't turn it off till the very end of the night.
I Put my beads in the kiln right after I am done making them from the torch. It depend on the glass I am using how hot they are when they go in. As some glass likes to go in hotter than others.
I think what your seeing is people who batch anneal their beads. Which would mean, they put them in vermiculite or a fiber blanket and than anneal them in the kiln at another time. Some people do this as they don't make many beads at one time, and it cuts down on the cost and time of running your kiln. Someone who does this I am sure would be able to answer better as the pro of this situation.
I do make beads everyday and make enough in one day to run my kiln everyday. Well most days I make enough.
Old 2005-08-18, 8:01pm
Dot Princess

I put mine directly in to the hot kiln after making it.

My little princess came Dec 30,2009 Still no time for beads
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
boy is she a demanding little thing.
Old 2005-08-18, 8:23pm
Dances With Fire

yup...right into their hot tub for me too!....some times with a little ohhh pretty bead....there you go....

crystal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2005-08-19, 5:18am
Detail G-Mama!

When I first started making beads I would batch anneal them because I couldn't have my kiln next to me. I now have it next to me to where I put everything in right after I make it!

Old 2005-08-19, 5:48am
JOAT, Master of None

Hey,, It moved. Whoever my thread angel is, Thanks for moving it. I meant to put it here. Really I did.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Robin
Old 2014-08-24, 2:35am

I batch anneal each evening. If I have encased beads then definitely at the end of my day's session. If not encased they stay in the vermiculite until the next day if I have only a few. I like the kiln to be reasonably full - electricity is expensive.
Old 2014-08-24, 2:37am

Anne, at what temperature is your kiln when you have it on to put your beads straight into. I would like to do another programme on my kiln for when I make larger encased beads so I can pop them straight in.