No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-05, 9:56am

Default Connecting two oxygen concentrators

Hi,
What are the parameters that should be followed when connecting two oxygen concentrators? I have a 5 lpm (not sure of psi) that I originally purchased and I found an Integra Sequel that is 10 lpm & 7 psi...could these run together? My torch is a minor and I run on natural gas....I thought I read somewhere that its the psi that matters?

Thanks,
Shauna
Old 2013-04-05, 10:05am

typically you want the output pressures to match....output volume doesn't matter.
a difference of two psi might not make a difference though, but someone with more experience in the matter will chime in i'm sure.
you could also try raising the psi on the 5lpm machine just a touch...
Old 2013-04-06, 8:02am
honorary bead lady

Why even bother hooking them together the Sequel is more than enough volume for the Minor!
Old 2013-04-06, 9:20am

Thanks for responding. If I can get them hooked up to work properly, I would like to buy a bigger torch. I also have a gas booster g-tec 30 that I bought last year from the gs. So before I purchase another or different concentrator - I need to know what to look for for compatibility. I can't do tanked oxy at all.

So what's the scoop in general on hooking up two concentrators if they aren't exactly the same?

Shauna
Old 2013-04-06, 1:51pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwire View Post
So what's the scoop in general on hooking up two concentrators if they aren't exactly the same?
There is really no external procedure for concentrators with different PSI outputs. If one has a higher output pressure this will cause back pressure to the other machine decreasing its available output.

To check, obtain an oxygen safe 0 - 15 PSI pressure gauge and measure the static output pressure of each machine to see what the real pressures are.

Most have an output pressure adjustment that is internal to the machine. i.e. the higher pressure machine could be reduced to match that of the lower pressure concentrator. Or some combination of pressure change to both machines.

Consult the repair manuals for both machines for internal pressure adjustments.
Old 2013-04-06, 4:46pm
da General

Shauna, you need a Y connect with a back flow stop valve. I got mine from Kimberly at Pyronamix:
http://www.pyronamix.com/Pyronamix/Welcome.html

She is kbinkster on LE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2013-04-07, 1:28am
Alaska Boro

One can use a plastic "T" from Home Depot or Lowes.

A check valve may not be necessary as many brands have one internally installed prior to the oxygen output connector.
Old 2013-04-10, 12:20pm

I have 2 concentrators hooked together and also run on NG. I've got a "Y" much like the picture above. I never run both concentrators for soft glass. My torch has an inner and outer fire. Typically, just one concentrator and the inner fire are what I use for soft glass. I alternate concentrators, using one today and the other one tomorrow so they have equal hours on them.

When I first set this up the manual warned that if the gauge on the concentrator got too high, it would damage the concentrator. I did lots of testing and watching and determined that as long as I only ran one concentrator for the inner ring, I was good.

When I work boro, I burn both the inner and outer ring and both concentrators. This seems to keep the gauges on both concentrators happy and melts boro at a decent rate.

I'm sure this is not a scientific nor proper way to do it, but works perfectly for me.

I'm running on standard household pressure for my NG.

Scorpion with 2 Regalia's on NG
Old 2013-04-11, 3:02am

you do know that that knob will let you adjust the output, which you can see on the gauge?
you can adjust how "happy" your oxycon is....
running you oxycon at a higher lpm then what it's built for will risk having too low a purity, but i don't believe it's bad for your concentrator.