Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-12-21, 8:27am

Default fuming soft glass

I wanted to try a fumed implosion. I bought some fine, .999, silver wire from Ebay. Softened a quartz rod, made a depression. Melted wire into a ball in the depression.

I have fumed several pieces, yes I use a mask. The implosions look OK, but each one comes out "sooty" looking. The clear glass looks like it has a dark coating. They are not bright and clear like the pictures I am seeing. I am wondering if I got duped on the "fine" silver and it is really sterling.

Comments much appreciated.

Bob Keyes

There is no more powerful cleaning fluid than the spit from your Mother's tongue.
Old 2013-12-21, 8:54am

Here's a crappy pic of the crappy fuming I'm getting.

Bob Keyes

There is no more powerful cleaning fluid than the spit from your Mother's tongue.
Old 2013-12-21, 9:14am

What clear are you using? What torch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-12-21, 9:51am

Rachel,
Thanks for responding.

The torch is a DeVardi Spartan surface mix running on natural gas and an O2 concentrator. But, I get the same result on bottled O2.

Don't know about the clear. I bought the O2 concentrator from a lady in IN and when I went to get it she had all this glass boxed up for me also. There was 2 or 3 pounds of clear.

I'm guessing it is Effetre. Most everything else was.

Thanks again.

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-21, 11:25am

I'm wondering if you are burning your clear?
Old 2013-12-21, 11:27am

What are you expecting it to look like? I do a huge amount of fuming on boro but have yet to try any 96.
Old 2013-12-21, 12:31pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
What are you expecting it to look like? I do a huge amount of fuming on boro but have yet to try any 96.
The best I can tell you is I would like to have it clear without the dark "smokiness" that it has. It obscures the implosion and is just generally unattractive.

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-21, 12:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendah View Post
I don't think so, but that is a possibility. I don't see any boiling type bubbles.

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-21, 4:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkeyes View Post
I don't think so, but that is a possibility. I don't see any boiling type bubbles.
Could be soot or it could be a chemical reaction with the clear and silver your using. Try a more oxidizing flame?
Old 2013-12-21, 4:33pm

Thanks Larry. I'll try that later tonight. Hope it works!

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-21, 4:35pm

When I fume, the top of the maria and the rod always have some silver on them. Could that be turning black when I melt in the maria?

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-22, 9:08am

I have only ever fumed ivory, turquoise etc with fine silver. I have done a stripe of clear over ivory & fumed & it does turn sooty so I use an oxidizing flame on the clear stripe to get rid of it. I would try again but use ivory. You will get a reaction similar to using silver leaf or foil on ivory.

I have used gold leaf balled up to fume clear & you get an awesome pink with hints of gold color.

Good luck!
Old 2013-12-22, 9:20am

Here's a thought, Bob. Try making something with the clear without the fuming and see if you're still getting the sooty look. If so, it's the clear or your torch. I work too hot and have trouble not gunking up the inexpensive clears.

Old 2013-12-22, 10:06am

I just did a maria and added NOTHING. Melted it down, just like you would do an implosion. The black is there. At this point I gotta believe it's the glass. Natural gas is cleaner burning than propane, although a little cooler. So I don't think it's that. Torch is burning a nice neutral to oxidizing flame. Did this slow, so don't think I overheated it.

I have ordered some Effetre, super clear, I think was the name. I'll wait for it and try again.

Any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-22, 10:15am

Here is the clear I ordered: 591006 Crystal Clear 5-6mm Transparent

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-22, 10:26am

Hopefully you'll have better success with the new glass. Good luck!!

Old 2013-12-22, 12:55pm

Quote:
I just did a maria and added NOTHING. Melted it down, just like you would do an implosion. The black is there. At this point I gotta believe it's the glass. Natural gas is cleaner burning than propane, although a little cooler. So I don't think it's that. Torch is burning a nice neutral to oxidizing flame. Did this slow, so don't think I overheated it.

I have ordered some Effetre, super clear, I think was the name. I'll wait for it and try again.

Any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
I only torch boro so I cant help with soft clears.
Old 2013-12-22, 5:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendah View Post
BRENDAH------You win the prize! Don't know what it is, but you won. I am burning my glass.

Just tried one real slow in the upper part of the flame. It came out crystal clear.

I was just sure I wasn't burning it, but so much for that. Just my inexperience.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate your time so much. You're a great bunch of folks.

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-23, 2:49pm

pics?
Old 2013-12-23, 3:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
pics?
Not yet Larry. The implosion wasn't so good, but the glass was clear. I'm still working on it. I'll post something when I get something worth the bandwidth .

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-23, 9:22pm
I speak Murrini!

Yes, Bob - please do! I'm especially interested!

I have more Skull Stamps in the works, and have dreamed of making a fumed skull implosion someday in 104. Any advice and pics you're willing to post would be sincerely appreciated!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2013-12-24, 2:38am

Quote:
BRENDAH------You win the prize! Don't know what it is, but you won. I am burning my glass.

Just tried one real slow in the upper part of the flame. It came out crystal clear.

I was just sure I wasn't burning it, but so much for that. Just my inexperience.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate your time so much. You're a great bunch of folks.
Woo Hoo! Glad you got it figured out and that your silver is still the good stuff. I've burnt clear before but I didn't know what to do to not to burn it, so thanks Larry!
Old 2013-12-24, 10:36am
Now part of the Dark Side

I'm not sure whether it's burnt or just reduced. I've worked 104 in a reducing flame and produced similar results. Remember a surface mix torch has a more reducing flame the closer you get to the face of the torch. This is because the gasses are mixing AFTER they leave the torch. Working further back in the flame the fuel has had time to fully combust, and therefore will be a neutral or even slightly oxidizing.
Old 2013-12-24, 11:11am

Roy,
Obviously, I don't know either. But, I do know that when I moved it further out in the flame it came out clear. I know that is the cooler part of the flame, but I also know that it is more oxidizing. Whichever it is, I'm glad I, with all of your alls help, I discovered how to make it clear.
Thanks for replying. More opinions are welcome.

Bob Keyes

Old 2013-12-24, 3:59pm

Quote:
Roy,
Obviously, I don't know either. But, I do know that when I moved it further out in the flame it came out clear. I know that is the cooler part of the flame, but I also know that it is more oxidizing. Whichever it is, I'm glad I, with all of your alls help, I discovered how to make it clear.
Thanks for replying. More opinions are welcome.
Yup. Definitely more oxidizing further out from the torch face. Cheers!
Old 2013-12-30, 1:42am
Naysayer

Good news, I can't wait to see pics someday! Never thought to try soft.

Can I hijack now that it's resolved? I tried fuming ivory and it just turned yellow. Same way Bob did, .999 wire on a boro rod.

I've only ever fumed boro before, but I want that dark crackled look...any tips?
Old 2013-12-30, 10:15am
Wonder-wench

I've not tried this, but you might get the crackled look if you fume Efffetre Dark Ivory with silver and then heat the snot out of it.

When I use silver laden glass with dk Ivory, the area around the silver glass dot (or whatever) first turns yellow, then brown, then starts to crackle. More silver and more heat intensifies this effect

Old 2013-12-30, 10:59am
Mr Brutus RIP

Can you fume with a silver dime?

Old 2013-12-31, 12:28am
Naysayer

^those aren't pure are they?

Thanks Elizabeth, I wonder if you cook it after, I made a small barrel and did not snot cook it lol.

There was a tut in the Flow this month, and as you said around the dots...
I will try again!
Old 2013-12-31, 5:15pm
Naysayer

Snot cooked after fuming, nada. Looked cool, like a light hardwood, but not the crackle I want. The tut just states to fume lol. Well, I think I'll try to write the artist.

oh btw it's 'curdled' ivory, I would think this would be best for it lol.