Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-08-12, 8:10am

Default Raised Petals

Can anyone give me some tips about making good raised petal flowers? I've tried every tool I can think of to get that pretty crease and the outside flat and I just can't figure it out. They just look like dots with a line in the center LOL .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-08-12, 8:47am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT
Can anyone give me some tips about making good raised petal flowers? I've tried every tool I can think of to get that pretty crease and the outside flat and I just can't figure it out. They just look like dots with a line in the center LOL .
I would like to know too, and what tool are best for this?
Old 2005-08-12, 9:23am
CA Queen Bitch

Hi Girls,
I use this little razor. I start in the center of the petal and kinda rock the blade out to the outside edge of it. Forgive my dirty bead!!
For the flower on the Doll, I just use a butter knife to press them gently against the bead while it is not terribly hot!! Hope this helps!
~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-08-12, 12:13pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

That is the one I use as well. I got mine from Amy ( zooziitools) and it works like a charm. You could also try using a dental tool

suzanne

Old 2005-08-12, 3:03pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Not sure what you mean by they are "flat" = are you melting the dots all the way into the base bead? Melting about 75% has usually worked for me - then the razor thing. Good luck!

Old 2005-08-12, 6:20pm
Is it May yet?

she's not melting them flat, but pressing them flat while warm, using a butter knife.

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2005-08-12, 6:45pm
CA Queen Bitch

Do mean me? The one's on my Doll above, about the melting flat? I barely heat them, let them cool a few seconds then hold the bead above my knife and gently press the petals against the knife, and not too hard!!
Hope this helps!
~Suzy~

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-08-12, 6:48pm
CA Queen Bitch

Then I add the center dot, press it the same way, and just barely flame polish the flower.

~Suzy~

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-08-13, 8:55am

OK so now I'm wondering if my starting dots are wrong somehow. I'm not understanding how to get them to lay out in a petal shape. They seem to just be round dots with a line down the center. So can ya'll tell me how you place your petal dots?

Old 2005-08-13, 9:14am
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnT
OK so now I'm wondering if my starting dots are wrong somehow. I'm not understanding how to get them to lay out in a petal shape. They seem to just be round dots with a line down the center. So can ya'll tell me how you place your petal dots?
Dawn if you take a round dot, flatten it first like Suzy suggested. Lightly heat it and than use the razor blade tool it will spread it out into a petal shape like the pic she has showed you of her flower bead. Remember to start in the center and work towards the edge of the petal, to make it look more realistic. Than cover the center of them with another dot of a different color.

It's also neat to put down an opaque color and than a transparent color on top. Neat effects can be made by only useing the razor tool on one or the other of the dots. Or you can do both. Just some ideas to throw in the mix.
Old 2005-08-14, 8:13am
subject to change

Melinda Melanson has a great tutorial on making these.
http://www.cauldroncreations.com/raisedflowertt.html

Old 2005-08-14, 1:28pm

Thanks! I will try both of those.

Old 2014-08-24, 2:44am

I use the same pic I use for raking. When you press use the point towards the centre of the flower. As you press down the thicker part of the tool will spread the dot out into a petal. It's a bent pic on a wooden handle.
Old 2014-08-25, 8:43am
Glass-aholic

When I do it I use a razor as well and start almost at the outer end of the dot, then I roll in with it to push it to the center and elonge it a bit. Then I grab a stringer and pull out the end, I always go farther than I need cuz I like the look, but you don't need to. I re-razor if needed, or encase your razored line for a neat look. Don't melt your razor lol. I LOVE raised flowers.. My fav tequnique I think.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-08-25, 8:53am
Dilly53

Default Flower Petals

Hi, Dawn,
Just come down to my house. I can show you how I do it. I think Kandice Seeber had a tutorial on how to make them. I don't have the tut, but I make mine in a similar fashion. Give me a call if you want more info.
Gail
Old 2014-08-25, 11:05pm
Naysayer

from 2005

Ah well anyways, I can't make flowers to save my life, maybe I'll try that next session. I can do the ones above, just not like, Lily petals.