Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-03-16, 8:37am
אהבה אני ישו

Default Need Quick HELP! - Nooby Boro Question

Hi,

I am a "boro baby" born from a bag of shorts that was purchased from Brent.

I have been playing around with my new glass and having fun, fun, fun.

I have a friend that is in love with the look of borosilicate beads - in fact she is sort of the reason I took the plunge into boro. She is moving away in a few days and I want to make her a bead as a going away present. And here is my problem: she likes the beads that look "distinctly boro" - the swirls of color with that distinct "aura" (as she describes it) - the one that we are always trying to achieve in soft glass. I have bee having very little success. Is there a technique to getting this or is it just the color that you use? I don't know the names many of the colors that I have, but any advice to getting me there will be much appreciated. - -- And hurry please!

Thanks!

Believer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2007-03-16, 9:14am
ManBearPig

Here's a quick and easy way to get what you are looking for...

Take a rod of Amber Purple or any other silver-based striking color and make a bead. Get it nice and hot so it goes clear. Roll it in some clear frit, or put random clear dots on it. Melt it in and get it hot again. Then encase it and melt it smooth. Flame strike it, then pop it into the kiln at 1100 for an hour.

Old 2007-03-16, 10:04am
אהבה אני ישו

Can you describe what amber purple (or a good striking color) looks like cold? I don't have any rods that are marked with that color. The only marked rods I have are: Green Exotic, #32-PC038, #32-PC010 and PC06. Are any of these like the silver striking colors suggested?

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Old 2007-03-16, 10:11am
ManBearPig

32-PC038 is Precision Turbo Amethyst. The "32-PC0" part is the distributor's part number (same distributor I get my glass from). It's Precision #38.

32-PC010 is Precision Unobtainium.

There isn't a Precision #06. It could be #060 Silver Pearl, #062 Millennium Falcon, #066 Obtainium or #066 Super Unobtainium.

What color is the rod?

Old 2007-03-16, 10:28am
אהבה אני ישו

The one that is marked PC-06 is a dark red...sort of like #436 or 438 in Effetre .

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Old 2007-03-16, 10:51am
ManBearPig

Hmm... none of the Precision colors that start with 6 are red.

In fact, none of the Precision colors with a 6 in the number at all are red. I wonder if that's an experimental or discontinued color...

Either way, I would try some of the Millennium Falcon or Silver Pearl to get sort of what you are looking for.

Old 2007-03-16, 11:48am

OK, I'm snooping onto this thread...Cosmo are you saying that after you roll into clear frit and melt it, then wind onto mandrel, form bead and encase and strike?????
THANKS
Brenda
Old 2007-03-16, 12:32pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

You need to make the bead on the mandrel first, then roll it through clear frit, melt in , encase and strike

Old 2007-03-16, 12:49pm

BOY OH BOY, I'm quite a DUH today!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for explaining this very COMPLICATED process!!! I have no idea where I came up with the first idea!!! I hope I'm not the only one who say this in a different light???? Anyways, thanks Suzanne.....and Cosmo!!
Brenda
Old 2007-03-16, 2:02pm
Missing presumed fed

No reason you couldn't do it the first way, really. It would be making a sort of cane, wouldn't it? It's just a way of getting variation in the color.
Old 2007-03-16, 2:30pm
ManBearPig

Yeah, either way will work. What I was describing, though is to make a bead, shape it, roll it in frit, shape it again, then encase it.

Doing it the other way would probably give pretty cool results too though...

Old 2007-03-16, 2:31pm

You know Emily....I'm going to give it a try tomorrow! One by forming bead and rolling and encasing and one as a frit pick up, forming bead and encasing!! Time will tell!!
Brenda
Old 2007-03-17, 7:13am

Hi Melissa,

Another way to make a "wispy" looking bead is this. Make a twisty with 2 or three colors. Make your base bead with the twisty...just wind it on like a rod of glass. Put on some clear stripes diagonally across the base bead (if you have 3mm clear, use that or pull a thick stringer of clear). Heat up the bead and rake it with the clear stringer, kind of swirling the clear and the color together. Encase with clear. Depending on the colors, you might need to strike it to bring out the colors. It works nicely with the silver colors but also works with the non-reactive colors.

Sandy
Old 2007-03-17, 4:28pm
אהבה אני ישו

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Off to give them a try..... work, work, work....darn!

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist