Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-09-28, 3:29am
He can do the origami

Brent,
Just getting around to reading this thread. I love it, I love this idea. I have enjoyed talking glass with you and I absolutely love your crazy creative process. Thanks for passing it on......oh wait...that kind of sounds like a disease. Well...you know what I mean...thanks anyway!

Otter
Old 2007-09-28, 3:36am
boro color bender

I'd gladly give you any disease I've got...

Just returning the favor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-09-28, 3:38am
boro color bender

Ok, so I'll get the drips from yesterday strung up and snap a pic... sheesh, you ladies are slave drivers. If'n yer gonna boss me around, at least have the courtesy to whip me too... *assumes the position*

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2007-09-28, 3:53am
boro color bender

These are a simplified version... so there can be bunches of drips on an affordable necklace.

Old 2007-09-28, 4:06am

Brent these are all sooo cool, i so want you to come to Australia and give us some lessons downunder, ever thought of doing that?????

Cheers jane
Old 2007-09-28, 4:17am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane B View Post
Brent these are all sooo cool, i so want you to come to Australia and give us some lessons downunder, ever thought of doing that?????

Cheers jane
I have thought about it and would absolutely LOVE to come to Australia. It's a place I will visit before I die! I almost had a trip worker out and it just kind of fizzled. If there's a teaching studio or a few that want to bring me over for a tour, I'd be more than happy to come. There was a problem with studios having the right equipment to work boro a few years ago, but I suspect that's changing. Any smaller torch on tanked oxy would work fine... PM me if you can help set something up.

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2007-09-28 at 4:23am.
Old 2007-09-28, 4:26am

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane B

Cheers jane

I have thought about it and would absolutely LOVE to come to Australia. It's a place I will visit before I die! I almost had a trip worker out and it just kind of fizzled. If there's a teaching studio or a few that want to bring me over for a tour, I'd be more than happy to come. There was a problem with studios having the right equipment to work boro a few years ago, but I suspect that's changing. Any smaller torch on tanked oxy would work fine... PM me if you can help set something up.
I am really excited now i will put the feelers out, there are a few teaching studios around Australia now, can you teach on a minor or do you need it to be a bigger torch??

Cheers Jane
Old 2007-09-28, 4:51am
boro color bender

Minors on tanked oxy are fine.

Old 2007-09-28, 5:16am
Evil Glass Enabler

Thumbs up

They have a huge torching set up in Canberra now, Brent. You'd love it there. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2007-09-28, 6:12am

This looks like a great place to work. http://www.canberraglassworks.com It is about four blocks from where my appartment was last time I was there. They have 4 CC's and 4 Major/Minors for flameworking it looks like.

Cheers,

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2007-09-28, 9:15am
Pink-tini anyone?

Cool beads Smiley Dude!
Love the droopies!!

Old 2007-09-28, 10:55am
Boheme Flamework Designs

Dang - those are so cool!
Ok -spill it when is the book and video coming out - gotta have them!
Of course I want it now but I know that's just not gonna happen. LOL
Love the cane too.

Deb Cline
Old 2007-09-28, 12:43pm
boro color bender

Deb, I am slowly working on getting them together. It may be a while. My life is sooo crazy. I kinda took today off and went back to bed from 8:30-11:30. I was up working from 4:30-8:30. Only worked about 6 hours so far. I'll probably only put in a few more. That actually feels like a day off these days.

and they say self employed people have it easy!

Old 2007-09-28, 1:42pm
boro color bender

Thanks Miss Kimberly... it was so good hanging with you at GS! You were one of my star students! Have you done anything with boro lately?

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2007-09-28 at 1:51pm.
Old 2007-09-28, 7:15pm

Awe Brent. Those are something else. I have been playing a little with boro the past couple of days. Have to do some implosions for a person that wants them. So have to get busy. Love your larger drops. Cool. Love how your mind works at times also. Just leave us hanging and then we have to think. Yup. That is the way to go.

Rose Leslie
Old 2007-09-29, 4:52am
boro color bender

Ok, so I didn't have much torch time yesterday. I did melt the end of a mystery rod... and wondered what color it actually was. So, I made a twisty with it. Here are the two pendants I made with that twisty.

Here's my typical vortex-ish pendant...

Here is the other one I made... the optics are really cool!

Old 2007-09-29, 5:02am
boro color bender

I'm going to electroform the donut... and the other pendant goes into the reject bowl... see that little bubble? Yeah, it's going into the bowl for that little bubble. I try really hard not to be like Monk, but I'm not always successful.

Old 2007-09-29, 5:03am
boro color bender

The donut may go back into the kiln to darken up a bit too... we'll see.

Old 2007-09-29, 5:04am
boro color bender

Ooooh, the coffee is done. I love that last gurgle!

Old 2007-09-29, 5:21am
He can do the origami

Is that last gurgle part of your creative process?
Old 2007-09-29, 5:27am
boro color bender

Hot sweet creamy coffee in hand... life is good!

Ok, so what's the point of this thread. Some of you are asking that I'm sure... I'm hoping it inspires people to look at their own work and build on what they are doing. Some folks are going to be inspired by the drips or what ever it is I'm doing... and they'll add that to their own work... and in doing so, they are going to miss the point. That's OK too. Whatever inspires people to move in a different direction is fine, but the purpose of this thread is to hopefully get people to examine their world and explore their own work in depth, without letting other artists distract them from the internal vision we all have.

I know when I look at other peoples work, it affects me. I try to skim through the show and tell here... I glance more often than not. I try to keep my focus on what I'm doing... what I want to be able to do... and let my inner vision come through. Not always an easy task. Keeping focused for me is really hard... ADD kicks in and I jump around a lot. I've just learned to allow myself the freedom to do that. Self realization is a huge part of growing as an artist. Exploring my work and myself goes hand in hand. I am making mistakes in my work and my life... I try things that work out and things that don't in both areas... but I don't let the failures define me... I keep trying... I keep learning. With every failure, there's a lesson... and with every success, there's joy.

Milon Townsend brought up a point at a GAS fund raiser a while back that really stuck in my head... it's a good way to look at glass and life...

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 2007-09-29 at 7:04am.
Old 2007-09-29, 5:29am
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter's Flame View Post
Is that last gurgle part of your creative process?
Oh, you have no idea! That last gurgle humbles me. I am no different than Pavlov's dog... I salivate on cue.

Old 2007-09-29, 5:36am
Word to your mother

OK, so I have a question about the bic lighter..........

Old 2007-09-29, 5:38am
Word to your mother

THERE

Word to your mother

ARE STILL

Word to your mother

No Droplets

Word to your mother

ON.

Old 2007-09-29, 5:39am
Word to your mother

Your Website!!!!!!!

Old 2007-09-29, 5:54am
boro color bender

The bic lighter is just me being a smart ass... I noticed what set-up folks are working on listed in their signature line and couldn't resist!

I haven't listed any droplets yet, but if'n you tell me what one you are interested in, I can give you a price. Save me the trouble of listing them... please.

Old 2007-09-29, 6:41am

Argh! The reject is beautiful. I see the bubble you mentioned. Only I didn't when you kept quiet. I love your color. Keep it up. I would love one of the droplets. Only will oggle them from afar though.

Rose Leslie