No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-09-24, 11:16pm
Sheila

Default How to make a PDF file

xxx

Last edited by beadworkstudio; 2012-04-21 at 10:46am.
Old 2008-09-25, 6:33am
I'm not Barbie.

I've always wondered how, thank-you for doing this!!!!!!!!!
Old 2008-09-25, 3:30pm
StudioMarcy

Sheila, you're wonderful. Thank you .

Marcy
(who is contemplating a tutorial too)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2008-09-25, 7:26pm

If you don't want to do a lot of PDF files, you can log onto Adobe and sign up for their free trial. They will convert 5 documents to PDF format for free.

Old 2008-10-02, 3:31am
Run Free Sweet Boy

THANK YOU!!!!

I am going to start working on a tutorial for blown christmas ornements this week, and really needed this info. I am such a techno ditz.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-10-03, 7:51am

Thank you! I'm working on a tutorial right now and downloaded this to use. I have a question. In creating the original document, should I resize the pictures before inserting into the document, or is it ok to resize them in Word. I'm trying to make the file as small as possible for downloading purposes

Old 2008-10-05, 12:51pm
Give to receive...simple.

Wonderful!
Thanks heaps!!!!

Old 2008-10-05, 1:48pm
birdergirl ~o~

I make PDF files from Web pages by opening the web page I want ,
go up to
>File
>Save page as
>"web page complete"
Save it to a folder
Then drag the page on to Adobe Acrobat Professional
(don't know if this works with other versions)
After it opens as a PDF file I save it with a .pdf
Done!
If the article has many pages I save each page separately
then insert them into one document
I am on a MAC and use Firefox

Super easy!!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-10-06, 5:46am
Sheila

Kim, you should resize your images before you bring them into Word because the PDF will be a lot bigger if you use very large images. However, if you adjust the size a little, it's ok to do it in Word.

Old 2008-10-06, 6:21am

Thanks, Sheila. I did finally figure out the resizing answer...but I'm glad to hear I can fiddle with sizes a little in Word once I've done the original resizing.

Old 2008-10-18, 7:35am

its so funny i saved the link to this discussion yesterday for the just in case, with no reason to need a pdf. my boyfriend came home from a business trip today and needed a pdf of his resume. i dont know what i would have done without this info. thank you soooooooo much!
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-10-25, 7:28am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I think I'm lucky! My version of MS Office is 2003 - and any document I create in Word I can select to be saved as PDF and have to do no adjusting.......

Old 2008-10-25, 10:11pm
Sheila

Lynn, I think you must have something extra installed. I've used Office 2003 at home and work, and you can't make PDFs without installing something.

Are you on a Mac? I think you can make PDFs on a Mac from any application. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Old 2008-10-26, 4:39am
StudioMarcy

I have a Mac and I just go to "Print" and can save it from there.
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2008-10-27, 12:47pm
Sheila

That's what I thought. I made a note for Mac users at the beginning of my post.

Old 2008-10-29, 8:15pm
Irish Eyes A Smiling

Nope - just Office 2000 that I did an update to via CD to bring it to Office 2003 - it just shows up as an icon on the tool bar on the top of my
Word document window.

How did you do the screen shots? I'd gladly post one of my Word toolbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadworkstudio View Post
Lynn, I think you must have something extra installed. I've used Office 2003 at home and work, and you can't make PDFs without installing something.

Are you on a Mac? I think you can make PDFs on a Mac from any application. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Old 2008-10-30, 5:42pm
Sheila

I use HyperSnap and SnagIt for screenshots. You can just use the PrtScn key, paste into an image editor, crop, and save out an image.

Old 2008-11-02, 4:58pm
Sparkle Strumpet

Sheila!!!! were you reading my future mind when you posted this? I've been fretting about this very thing...and somehow you knew!

thank you, thank you, thank you!

Kindle Edition by Laurie Byrne-Smith
Old 2008-11-04, 12:12am
Oh No You Didn't!

Does anyone know if I can make my tutorial pages in Adobe Photoshop and convert them to a PDF file?

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-11-04, 7:30am
Sheila

If you make the tutorial in PhotoShop, you'll have images instead of actual text. You can bring the images into a word processing application (Word, OpenOffice, etc.) and make a PDF, but it will be MUCH larger that way. It also makes editing very difficult. It's better to use images only for pictures and word processing for the words.

If you don't have desktop publishing software (like Adobe InDesign or MS Publisher) and you want more control over layout than word processing applications give you (like Word), you can create it in Power Point or as a presentation in OpenOffice.org. Just go to the page setup and change it to the size you want for the printed page. This will give you more flexibility in layout than Word, but be careful to make your pages consistent. And remember to set the zoom to 100% so things aren't distorted on your screen. If you use OpenOffice, you'll get built-in PDF support, too.

Last edited by beadworkstudio; 2008-11-04 at 7:32am.
Old 2008-11-04, 3:31pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Thank you for answering Beadwork. (Sorry, I don't know your name)

I actually installed OpenOffice last night after I posted my last question and looked around some more on the subject.

I do have Adobe InDesign somewhere, but not installed yet. I think I'm going to try to install it today.

Thanks again.

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-11-04, 11:02pm
Sheila

Oops, I accidentally removed my name from my sig when I changed it.

Old 2008-11-13, 5:04pm

Oh My Gosh! I think I did it! I'm so computer dumb , but I think I did it! OK! I should'nt get excited just yet because it not done, but I was able to follow the steps so easily. Thank you Sheila! I'm going to check it now.

My Facebook
Old 2009-03-09, 11:48pm
yes, llamas...and ducks

Location: Langley, BC, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth.

Mwahahahahah!!
I just followed your instructions....and made my first PDF EVER!!

Granted, it was of the wedding ceremony I've got in the works, and not a tutorial, but it worked! It was super easy - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!

Flaming on a Minor with concentrator.

Old 2009-03-10, 4:15am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Thanks for this! Will definately use it soon.

Old 2010-07-13, 1:03pm
Melting

Thank you so much!!! I did it and it worked perfectly.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20