LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-02-27, 8:06pm
Mary Lockwood

Default Redneck Sandblasting Cabinet...and I ain't kiddin'.

OK...the history is that I posted a thread asking about the hobby kits for sandblasting that are powered by cans of compressed air. I was curious as to if they work small scale or not before I invested any money in them.

Well, wouldn't you know, I got a beautiful RAOGK in the mail today! The whole kit! Thank you so much...it is awesome...wait til you see what I made.

Seeing as how I had to roll dimes to pay my etsy fees this month, I wasn't prepared to go purchase anything to build a blasting cabinet with...so here is my sandblasting cabinet made from things I found around the house! Enjoy.

<< that is ME geaked out with my McGuyverness.

What I used:

The priority shipping box that Kay sent me the sandblasting kit in (reduce, reuse, recycle!):

A circle cut from the clear plastic cake dome from my husband's birthday cake(this is gonna be a window!):

An old pair of super stretchy knit socks:

An extra piece of flat cardboard and a dinner plate (draw around the dinner plate and cut out the circle):

A roll of duct tape
A hot glue gun and glue sticks

Let's start building the redneck blast box!

First, you need a big box. Since this box wasn't actually tall enough, I taped up the top of the box in a vertical position to make it taller. I taped all along the seams so they would not allow the sand to blast out.

I also taped the inside. I figure the blasting media is going to be expensive so I want to be able to pour it back out of the box and reuse it...so I taped the seams inside the box so the media wouldn't get trapped.

Take that extra piece of flat cardboard that you cut the hole out of with the dinner plate pattern and duct tape the clear plastic circle to the underside. If I hadn't had this hard plastic, I would have probably tried saran wrap. LOL

Next, use duct tape to attach this window lid with hinge-like tape placement. This is called redneck engineering.

See how it opens...fancy!

Then I cut the arm holes. I traced around the roll of duct tape and cut them out. You would think you would cut the holes on opposite sides, but my arms are short and they would have been too far apart...so I put them on adjacent sides. That's called redneck forethought.

You can't have gaps in the arm holes or the blasting media will fly out all over the place and pretty much negate the whole purpose of the cabinet. So you need to insert some sort of sleeve to put your arm through. I found a pair of really stretchy pink socks, but I could have used cut-off sweatshirt sleeves or something like that.

I hot-glued the top cuff of the sock around the edge of the arm hole openings, then cut off the end of the sock so just a few inches extended into the cabinet. It was at this point that I burned my thumb with the hot glue and had to take a wimpy band-aid break because of the blister on my thumbprint.

Here is what it looks like, all ready to use! All I had to do was get my dust mask on and close the lid!

I have had a clear glass branch made for a while that I wanted to etch to use as a display piece to photograph my birds. It took approximately 27 seconds to sandblast this branch and it is PERFECT!

Here is what the inside of the blast cabinet looked like after sandblasting the branch. It used up about 1/3 of the container of blasting grains, but thanks to my redneck forethought, I think I will be able to rescue most of it and reuse it.

Another note- I think it used about 1/3 of the can of compressed air too. And this isn't just regular compressed air, it has nitrogen or something in it and gets freezing cold almost instantly. I think this will be expensive to use so I am going to see if there is some way to hook up this little doodad to my dad's air compressor. I'll let you know if that works.

The verdict though is that it works perfectly for what I wanted it to do. Small scale projects and so far I've only tested it on soft glass. I just did this branch and wanted to share my results.

THANK YOU, KAY for sending me the sandblasting kit---I had a total blast this afternoon (if you can't tell) and I have lots more experiments I can't wait to try. I'll keep ya posted!

Anyway, here is a shot of the branch in action.

~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-27, 8:12pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Mary, that is just awesome! I am impressed by your ingenuity .

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-02-27, 8:13pm
Glass n00b

That is so cool!!!!!!! Thank you for posting that, I am impressed and want to make one too!!!!
Old 2009-02-27, 8:15pm
Sucks at being nice

I love it! I am a firm believer that you can fix anything with silicone, duct tape and bailing wire. I'll have to add cardboard to my list now.

Old 2009-02-27, 8:21pm
Does it come in Purple???

Mary that is awesome and I love your title

~~

Bloodletting, mayhem and massacre first thing in the morning is the best way to start the day
Old 2009-02-27, 8:26pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks! And, it did work perfectly

Old 2009-02-27, 8:49pm
It's all about the color.

You did a great job, and had fun like I hoped you would. I guess I was just too impatient - expected immediate results. I used to work (in my youth) for a jewelry manufacturer and their sandblasting unit would have frosted the glass in one pass. I was expecting too much from the little sandblasting delio. I'm really glad that it turns out it will meet your needs.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2009-02-27, 8:55pm
Back to 👊 1

Mary, you really thought that out!! I sandblast almost everyday, trying to get out of that JOB, anyways. Good job!!! I work with a big boy blaster, so most the time I don't give it a second thought to just poke the "work" in with no gloves on, two seconds-done. The pink fuzzies just 'bout made me pee!! I may need to add that to the one at work, really piss the little male teeny-twenties off.

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2009-02-27, 9:11pm
Mary Lockwood

Thanks guys, I'm having a good time and that's what it's all about, right? LOL

Kay, I think it is probably good that I have never sandblasted anything before- I had no expectations and nothing to compare it to! I just know when I want to etch a bead in acid it takes 3 minutes and sandblasting took less than 30 seconds so to me that felt FAST. LOL

I do think I will outgrow this, I want to do bigger pieces. Basically I'll be doing branches like I showed in the pictures, but about twice as big and then assembling them into nests. So, it isn't alot of blasting at one time, but it is frequent. This is getting me started though and giving me some basis to grow on. Thank you again for sending it to me.

myrdlebp: Yeah, those pink sleeves are the bomb! LOL I'm sure the guys will love them. I didn't wear gloves either...oops. LOL Oh well, I just did one end of the branch then flipped it around and did the other end. I figure I'll leave beads on the mandrels to blast them.

I did wash my hands really well when I was done though.

~~Mary

Old 2009-02-27, 9:55pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Mary!!! You are simply spectacular!!!! I admire your ingenuity - but what I love about you MOST is your willingness to share!!! Clearly, you had the (sharing!) forethought to photo everything as you were assembling that Beverly Hills Blasting Box of yours...which is an amazing reflection of your giving spirit...and you fully intended to SHOW US the "how to" if it worked out. I say you are a true Earth Angel...

Hugs from CA,
DeAnne

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-27, 11:00pm

Huh! That's something else. Aren't you just the bee'z knee'z.. Slick going Mary. I like that!
Thanks for the share from redneck to another.. hehe
Old 2009-02-27, 11:14pm
She's Back & Burnin'

Ingenious!!!!!

Sara

Old 2009-02-28, 6:24am
Cheep, cheep, cheep!

Mary, that is sweet! DeAnne hit the nail on the head, you are always so willing to share your ideas with others here. When are those LE awards anyway? I do think you should market this idea. similar to the portable photo cubes you could manufacture portable blasting cabinets (DeAnne gave you the perfect name - the Beverly Hills Blasting Box!).

Thanks for sharing!

Danap
Old 2009-02-28, 7:21am
Mary Lockwood

Thanks guys! Hubby's 40th birthday party is today so I'll have a house full of rednecks here to critique my design and rate my use of duct tape as a construction medium. LOL

I'm thinking of spray painting this camouflage just for the laugh.

Dana, they already make portable sandblasting cabinets but they are all made out of metal and fancy stuff that doesn't fall apart in a few months. LOL Mine is much greener.

A year from now, you would never know there was a sandblasting cabinet made out of cardboard here. LOL

Have a great weekend!
~~Mary

Old 2009-02-28, 7:30am
Mary Lockwood

You guys should see my photo cube made out of a deconstructed shoe box and a plastic grocery bag.

Old 2009-02-28, 10:50am
Smooches!

Pretty awesome & ingenious!

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2009-02-28, 11:20am
Anyone need some spacers?

I love the name Beverly Hills Blasting Box it is right on. Thanks so much for sharing and if you don't mind would you put up the photo box too? I never have the fore thought too photograph the first thing I make but there always seems to be someone else who wants one so the second one always gets the step by step photos taken. Good going!

Old 2009-02-28, 12:09pm
Lover of all things color

Isn't anything wrong with that. I love home made things and the results are just stunning. Love the branch. Thanks for sharing.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-02-28, 12:33pm

That's so awesome if finally got me off my butt to buy the tutorials of yours that I've been thinking about
Old 2009-02-28, 12:41pm

I love redneck engineering! I'll probably never make one of these but I love to see how people make something they need out of junk laying around the house. I know everyone's all into being green and all but to me the fun is seeing how cheap you can make something functional at a fraction of the costs of buying it.

I REALLY want to see your redneck photo tent. I think a lot of LEer's would be interested in this idea! Please show us!! Pleeeese??!!!

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2009-02-28, 8:11pm
In spite of it all!

Way to cool Mary! But I have to argue with the redneck part. Smart is smart and has nuttin to do wit bein a red nek! You did know that they raise up NE Ohio girls different.. right? Way to go girl-fren!

I rate this thread 5 stars!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2009-02-28, 8:53pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Awesome! Great story and great idea..........and being a tree hugger (my kids call me) I just LOVE the idea of this!! I make magazine holders out of my priority boxes so just one more reason to save them!! LOL
Sue
Who loves your branch and bird by the way!!

Old 2009-03-01, 7:04pm
Mary Lockwood

Thanks you guys!

I will have to take pictures of my photo box sometime and post them. It works great.

~~Mary

Old 2009-03-01, 7:10pm

Cool! Great job with box and that is a very cute bird.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2009-03-01, 7:25pm
Unmedicated since '62

McGyver's got nothing on you!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-03-01, 10:16pm
I speak Murrini!

Mary~~~

I have a couple quick questions if you get a chance to reply - I'd be much obliged!

1. Can you tell us a bit about the "kit" you were so generously gifted? (And to whomever sent it to this wonderful lady of ours, bless your heart!!!) I'm curious - and I have a Michael's 40% off coupon burning a hole in my wallet!!! Although Google posts that the brand name "Armour Sand Etch Kit" is available at Michael's I can't seem to find a price/link on line for it at Michael's. Is your kit the "Armour Sand Etch" one?

2. Would you consider doing a Tutorial for your branch? It's so adorable - and several of us who like making little birdies - or who have purchased your Chickadee tutorial (like I just did!), might love having something like this to display our beads. Just a thought...

Thanks for being so generous with us! We love you!

De

Old 2009-03-02, 4:22am

Yet another fine use for duct tape! What did we do before duct tape?
Old 2009-03-02, 4:52am
boro color bender

That's awesome Mary!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-03-02, 7:10am
Mary Lockwood

De,

Yes, that's the right kit. Armour Sand Etch. Kay (listenup) sent it to me, isn't she awesome???

The price tag on it says, 'Hobby Lobby $39.99'

They also sell a blasting cabinet that is clear plastic and you inflate it. I don't remember how much that cost, but it was more than my redneck one. LOL

I mainly wanted this because I can't etch boro with etch-all liquid and I wanted to make the branches from boro. (and other things too besides branches) I still haven't tested it on boro yet. I should just go stick a rod of clear in there and see if I can etch it effectively.

I'm always looking for free tips and tutorials to put into my newsletter. I'm already working on the next one, but I'll definitely do the branch for April's newsletter. I'll let you know when I have that done.

Thanks!
~~Mary

Old 2009-03-02, 10:16am
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Mary!!!

I think the Armour Sand Etch Kit is about the same price at Michael's, in case you don't have a HobbyLobby near you...

Also, Michael's has a 40% off coupon in your Sunday paper. I checked if I could find it online, but all the online ones have expired. Check your local market or liquor store...they usually will give away the Sunday paper on Monday if you hit them up early! (I prefer being called "Frugal" rather than "Cheap" - Thank You!)

I've signed up for your Newsletter, Mary! This way, if life gets in the way of your time line to add your branch-making guidance next month, I'll be able to follow along.

Hugs,
De