Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-01-20, 10:26am
Dangerous Woman

Default How do you use multi color rods?

I have some shorts of multicolor rods and have no clue what to do with them. I have some Monkas colors that I cut with nippers and use as flower murrini. How are you supposed to use this type of glass? Just wind it on like a regular rod? Do you smoosh it all around first? Should you layer it? Over or under and what colors? I kinda feel like this is a dumb question. Any pics and hints?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-01-20, 11:39am

You can make instant twisties with them. You can lay them down like a regular rod for some interesting beads. I love Momka colors, but I will add that I am very carefull with the mixed rods since I find a lot of the ones I have seem to have a lot of air bubbles in them. That will really mess up a design if you aren't expecting it. When you twist them up, you find out really quick if you have any air, and can plan accordingly.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-20, 2:20pm
Type ZZZ personality

I've done just what you said, used some as murrini and made twisties out of others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2010-01-20, 2:39pm
ManBearPig

I make these with them...

Old 2010-01-20, 3:07pm
Dangerous Woman

Thanks Chad! That is exactly what I wanted to know! Do you just make a maria with the rod then put a lens on it? I mean I know you did some twists and stuff but is the basic technique the same as making regular pendants?

Old 2010-01-20, 3:14pm
ManBearPig

Sort of. I do it backwards. I make a maria with the color, then attach the multi-color rods, then add a lens.

Old 2010-01-20, 3:56pm

So Chad, The third one on the left (Wig wag)
You make a color maria to act as the back? then multi-collor rod into a wigwag? then make a clear maria to act as a lens? or layer from a clear rod? how are you keeping the air out? Guess back out to the shop to try it this way......
BTW Chad, still love your marble book...and your turtle tut from Glassline.....
Old 2010-01-20, 3:58pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by divelement View Post
So Chad, The third one on the left (Wig wag)
You make a color maria to act as the back? then multi-collor rod into a wigwag? then make a clear maria to act as a lens? or layer from a clear rod? how are you keeping the air out? Guess back out to the shop to try it this way......
BTW Chad, still love your marble book...and your turtle tut from Glassline.....
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Work the multi-color rod cool so it doesn't boil, then get the clear super hot and just jam it on there.

Old 2010-01-20, 4:58pm
Tamara Knight

Bad Pic but this is a Momka cane twist made into beads
The larger beads use a twist that was sort of twisted right and left but not all the way arround

Old 2010-01-20, 6:50pm
Dangerous Woman

Cool TA. I had a request for some small hearts - not pendants just little decorative hearts. So I used some of the rods I have. I can't wait till they come out of the kiln! I hope they look OK. I made some pendants too. I'll try to get some pics in hte next day or two.

Old 2010-01-20, 7:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Chad, this little rasta turtle is awesome! I grin every time I see it.
Old 2010-01-20, 11:59pm

Here's a heart that I made using one of the Momka multi-color rods striped over white and then shaped into a "Brent-style" heart. Nothing fancy but I like it a lot.

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!