Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-01-08, 7:41pm

Default encasing silver with boro

I have a problem with the silver I am incasing turning gold. I am using Boro northstar clear. Is there any other brand that will keep the silver from turning gold?
Old 2010-01-08, 7:42pm

I think it's the temperature. With boro, you work so hot that you fume the clear with the silver. I am just thinking out loud here.... others can tell you better.

Post a pic? I'd love to see what you've made, even though it wasn't what you planned in your head!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-01-08, 7:49pm

I have seen it done before using boro and I think it may be the glass, not really sure though.
Old 2010-01-08, 8:09pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

Its not the glass. Boro gets to hot for silver. You can do the foils and that stuff with soft but boro roasts silver

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2010-01-08, 11:59pm
Borovangelist

It *might* be possible. Corning has a video of Cesare Toffolo encasing gold leaf and keeping it identifiable as a metal; it was like an internal gilding. The thing is, he basically did a stuff n puff with it and even he mentions that it's tough to do because the temps need to be just right.

So, I'd say it might be possible with silver, but a royal pain to do. I'd say your best chance is to heat, roll in the leaf, burnish it and keep it really cool out in the flame then try to encase it, but you're still going to have a hard time melting in the encasing glass and not affecting the silver.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2010-01-09, 1:01am

if you work carefully on as low a heat as possible, foil will work and the thicker (within reason) the better. Leaf on the other hand is impossible with boro. Also if the flame touches the silver it will burn and fume. Even on low heat, it's almost impossible to get the silver not to yellow out. Best way is what menty said, do a pickup and sleeve without the silver ever touching the flame.
Simax gets softer at a somewhat lower temp than Schott, TGI and some others, so you may want to try that.

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-01-10, 1:43pm
Burnin' and lurnin'

Not sure if this helps, but I know there is a hot glue that can withstand very high temperatures. You can roll the silver in the glue and then let it harden, after that you can encase it.

I knew a guy in Boulder that would take bugs or other natural/organic items and encase them into marbles. This is the way he did it. He called it the "Optical Delusion". Pretty cool, took me a long time to figure out how he didn't melt the bugs.
Old 2010-01-10, 2:28pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

What the hell kind of glue can take 2500 degrees? Wow!

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2010-01-10, 2:44pm
In search of her path....

Gold and palladium can be encased and keep its look with boro Silver however is dam near impossible with boro because it melts at a pretty low temp compared to gold and palladium. Palladium can look like silver but it holds up much better in higher heat.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2010-01-21, 11:00pm
don't burn your fingers!

Okay, any information on that 2500 degree glue would be great!! Anyone???? Thanks!!
Old 2010-01-23, 2:36pm
Burnin' and lurnin'

I have been researching the hot glue info for a bit, and I'm not finding anything yet. However, I'm quite sure it is out there. I saw the end result with my own eyes, repeatedly.

The fella I knew who did them was not the most revealing person about his techniques, and especially not this!
Old 2010-01-23, 8:31pm

are you sure it was glass and not Lucite or something of that nature?

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2010-01-24, 3:41am
boro color bender

I'm not saying there isn't a clear glue like substance that can be encased in glass (I've never seen or heard of it)... but no matter what the bug is encased in... it's going crispy critter with the heat... annealing alone would cause it to turn to carbon... I'm pretty sure the whole process was done cold and he was pullin your leg about it being encased in boro...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-01-24, 5:07am
Unmedicated since '62

er...yeah...simply not possible - he'd be using two part epoxy, my brother does it all the time

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-01-24, 8:21am
Pyromaniac

Just out of curiosity I did a google search and found this:

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/newprod.htm

Check out the fourth and fifth one down.
I still am not sure how this stuff would protect an insect on the inside of the glass.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-01-24, 9:36am
No Problem!

I have used super-glue for kiln fusing. (If you're a fuser, double check or test this before you try it, it's been awhile and I don't remember details)
You can glue pieces until you get it in the kiln and it burns out clean before the glass fully tacks. Maybe the bug guy was using it as some kind of temporary holding agent? Maybe just a fibber.
Not sure this would help with the silver though.

(Beau & Shani)

Last edited by evolvingBeau; 2010-01-24 at 9:38am. Reason: Add..