Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-01-01, 8:31am

Default January S&T

Show us what you've got.

Minor
Old 2010-01-01, 9:47am
ManBearPig

Can you take a picture of a hangover? That's all I've got so far this year...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-01, 11:37am
boro color bender

I see good things for all of us this year! Happy New Year everybody!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-01-01, 5:34pm

Very good, Coach. I see good thing in our futures too ;-D
Here's my tribute to the blue moon:

And a winged heart:

Old 2010-01-01, 6:03pm

Mixed my own cobalt blue from clear and cobalt sulfate. Lots of bubbles and you can't draw it into a stringer very well, but I'm working on that. Has anyone else tried this?

Old 2010-01-02, 9:52am
HotFlash Designs

I think I need to get back into boro.

Keep posting the pretties please.

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2010-01-02, 11:36am

Brent, that's cool. Samma, love it. I like the effect. Cosmo, you are too funny.

Minor
Old 2010-01-02, 2:57pm
product of the universe

Quote:
Mixed my own cobalt blue from clear and cobalt sulfate. Lots of bubbles and you can't draw it into a stringer very well, but I'm working on that. Has anyone else tried this?
You may wanna try cobalt oxide, or cobalt carbonate. The oxide needs less to make the color, with the carbonate it will take much more. Also boric acid works as a flux. Contemporary Lampworking has a section on how to mix colors, it's got quite a bit of info.

mixing colors by using color shorts with the chemicals already in the glass matrix seems the easiest way to go.

I mixed these colors using china white as the base with crayola yellow,orange, Jade green, hyacinth, periwinkle, and blue spruce.
Attached Images

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-01-02, 4:54pm
Astro Cat

This is my first boro marble - a bunch of colors over clear. too bad I still had a punty mark -
(and it's not really 100% round) - but I'm a total boro newbie so I'm pleased with it! More practice for me!
Attached Images

Old 2010-01-02, 6:10pm

I really need to look at Contemporary Lampworking. My local store is closed till the fourth.

I tried manganese dioxide today, hoping for a nice purple. I ended up with a horrible bubbly mess that you can crush because it has so many bubbles. It was purple though. I need to get a fining agent like antimony oxide.

My tin oxide white turned out pretty good. It looks like NS Egyptian Sand. Bad bubbles, but I'm going to make it work. I think zirconium silicate, fluorspar, or cryolite might make other whites or make transparent color opaque.

I bought some cobalt carbonate. Still gonna bubble, but no as bad. I read that it dissolves better than cobalt oxide. Also picked up nickle oxide, chromium oxide, red and black copper and iron oxide, and silver nitrate.

I have mixed premade colors into clear and NS star white seconds. It looks really nice.

Old 2010-01-02, 8:09pm

Orion, I think you first marble try has a lot of character. Nice.

Minor
Old 2010-01-02, 8:10pm
Never give up

I have an idea. Why not put your mixes on this forum with photo's. That way you can keep track of what you have done , and help others that are mixing colors. I am a soft glass person myself, but I am sure other boro users would love it. Just an idea. Good luck mixing colors sounds fun and interesting to me.
Old 2010-01-02, 9:52pm
Megan's personal Sherpa

Another pony from me.........can't help it, it's what I do.........

Both sides of the same pendant. In case you're wondering, the backdrop is snow..........I thought it was appropriate for the time of year!

Flinging flaming frit at friends for fun!

Deb
Old 2010-01-02, 11:43pm

I do pretty much what Chris (Chayes) said. I use cobaltous oxide with a little nib of Borax. Dunno about the States, but Borax is available here at chemist shops (drug stores) as drain cleaner, because of its high alkalinity. Overloading borosilicate with borax can cause it to flow like water.
In fact in the old days of glassworking, the glassmaker's art involved the production of "scherz glässer" (or joke glasses) including a kind of glass so loaded with flux and devoid of a stabiliser that it would gradually dissolve once a liquid (such as wine) was added to the bowl. Needless to say that this is only noted in literature, as these glasses were not made for longevity. Further pursuing this track will take me too far off the subject though.
In regards to oxides and making your own coloured glass, I would advise you to use extreme caution. Substances such as antimony, chromium oxide and cadmium are very toxic and you will need at the very least very very good ventilation, if not in addition to this a respirator.
I started flameworking in 1990 and I used to make my own colours in the mid 90s because I didn't have any reference or contact with glassworkers outside of Australia and wasn't aware of colour boro being manufactured by anyone. In '96 I was offered about 5kg of various NS colours, which someone had imported with the thought of learning flamework in his retirement. He tragically passed away before doing anything at all with it and his daughter found me and I bought the lot. Since then, I've not continued with making my own colours, sure I learned a lot by doing it, but believe me, it's much much safer, more convenient and in the long run much cheaper to buy ready-made colours from the various manufacturers ... did I mention it's much safer?
One of my university lecturers and friends was a potter. He totally wrecked his health working with oxides (making his glazes) and had to retire early from a job he loved doing ... just saying ...
Only thing I sometimes still make is cobalt blue (with no bubbles) ...

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.

Last edited by wickedglass; 2010-01-02 at 11:48pm.
Old 2010-01-03, 9:18pm

I have pretty good ventilation and a mask is on my list.

I mixed another color today and it is my favorite so far. I call it "Redwood Forest." Here is a pic of a Redwood sculpture I made with it. The rod is dark green with streaks and patches of salmon/copper. It oxidizes to black if you cool it quick (like the flame cuts on the branches.) and to dark green if you keep it hot for a while (like pulling the branches). It reduces to a rusty copper then to salmon. It has a cool iridescence to it. This stick turned out completely compatible with no visible bubbles and survived with only flame annealing and vermiculite.

The second pic is closest to the true color. I have a really old Mavica camera.

Old 2010-01-04, 7:02pm
Glassy Broad :-)

Oh boy!!! I get to post in the boro room
Here are just a couple of things I've done so far.
I know, be kind I'm a newbie
BUt I'm having fun!!!
Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-01-04, 8:02pm
Astro Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beybey View Post
Orion, I think you first marble try has a lot of character. Nice.
awww, thanks!!!
Old 2010-01-04, 8:06pm
Astro Cat

Mr Smiley, your eye pendant is really nice. I'm not sure, is your avatar meant to look like an eye that is rolled up?

Deb, that is a really nice horse pendant!
Old 2010-01-05, 12:21pm

Some hearts...

Wow! The eye pendant is fabulous.

Sorry... these came out a lot bigger than I thought!
Attached Images

Old 2010-01-05, 2:18pm
Astro Cat

gorgeous! if you don't mind sharing, what colors are you using?
Old 2010-01-05, 3:01pm

I've got a LOT to learn about doing goblets. Like making my own cups. ppp lol Oh, and getting them straight. But at least this one didn't end up smashed on the concrete so it's progress.

This is the one that fell. I need some serious recommendations on claw grabbers.

Old 2010-01-05, 3:05pm

few things I've been playing around with. I learned the eye technique from a glass eye maker many years ago, but never really used it until now. He used Lauscha glass though and it seemed a lot easier getting the iris with that glass than with boro ... but in all reality, he probably made it look easy.

The bird of paradise is 35cm from tip of beak to end of tail and was a Christmas present for my girlfriend.
Attached Images

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2010-01-05, 3:19pm
The Battle of Boro Boro

Wicked - That bird of paradise is amazing! And love the eyes!

Old 2010-01-05, 6:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
gorgeous! if you don't mind sharing, what colors are you using?
If you are asking me, it is probably Silver Creek over yellow, DAP over yellow and Cherrywood or Elvis over yellow. I do a lot of grabbing misc unlabeled rods off the bench, but that is what they look like to me.

Old 2010-01-05, 11:56pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

wow some awesome work in here!

i love the goblets three muses!
Old 2010-01-06, 12:58am
I need more boro stuff

I need to play more boro, gorgeous S&T so far.

Chris, you really really need to travel to Sydney and teach us (or at least to teach me )

Old 2010-01-06, 3:47pm
product of the universe

um, massagers
Attached Images

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2010-01-06, 5:13pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
few things I've been playing around with. I learned the eye technique from a glass eye maker many years ago, but never really used it until now. He used Lauscha glass though and it seemed a lot easier getting the iris with that glass than with boro ... but in all reality, he probably made it look easy.

The bird of paradise is 35cm from tip of beak to end of tail and was a Christmas present for my girlfriend.
Rock! nice work...
Old 2010-01-06, 8:23pm

I Love all the beautiful combinations of colors in this thread. Awesome works of art!
I truly love the Sea Horse Goblet and the Bird of Paradise !
Well, This is my first couple of sea horses since I've been back from the 2 week holiday up north. It feels good to be back on the torch.
These aren't my best but still good practice after that two weeks off. Ugh!

This is a part of my Majestic series.

Briareus ( God of violent sea storms)

Thetis ( Daughter of the ancient one of the sea)

Old 2010-01-07, 8:08pm

very nice sea horses