LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-03-31, 10:19am

I started with Devardi and a Hothead. The Devardi glass is shocky, but otherwise I think it's fine. I use Effetre and CIM glass for the most part, now. Regarding the hothead, I didn't really enjoy lampworking until I got a propane/oxygen torch (Bethlehem alpha) and an oxycon. I had lots of problems with glass getting sooty and gross with the Hothead. It was slow, noisy, and I didn't like riding a big dumb bottle in my crotch the whole time. My advice would be to keep your Devardi glass, but ditch the hothead as soon as you are able to. I think you will find that a mix torch will greatly increase the level of pleasure from working glass. As for a kiln, you might be able to get by without one for a while, but when you get a kiln, you can do fusing, slumping, and casting with it as well. There's a whole world of COE 90/96 sheet glass fun that opens up to you at that point. Check out the class list at http://www.heliosglass.com, which is a studio in my neck of the woods. There's tons of fun to be had with warm glass!
Old 2014-04-05, 8:01am

I'm a newbie here but I've bought a lot of my supplies and glass from Devardi and I will say that their glass is SHOCKY! That said, I've learned very quickly to be careful introducing a cool rod to flame. If anything I think it's done me a service because now working with effetre etc. seems easy!

I love love love their colors, and their service. I emailed them last night and Natasha got right back to me- we even had a nice chat about making frit blends. If I didn't absolutely love their colors I probably wouldn't chose to work with their glass but I have had excellent service from them and all the tools I've purchased have been excellent.

PS, where can one buy the annealing bubbles? I need enough to fill a 1.5 qt crock pot I currently have filled with vermiculite.
Old 2014-04-05, 9:51am
Slogan Challenged...

Annealing bubbles are at http://www.artcoinc.com/

I recently switched to those and I've been REALLY happy. I'm not sure how much will fill that crockpot but the bags are pretty good sized...I got two and that will last me a while.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2014-04-06, 6:31am

Awesome, thank you! I emailed them.
Old 2014-04-08, 3:48pm

Welcome! Yes, Devardi has some real drawbacks, but they also have some lovely colors that are not available in 104 anywhere else. I've gotten their frit in the past as well for the colors, and shocking is not a problem there. I really like the Fusion bead release - it stays good on the mandrel for a long time, and I have not had any issues with either getting the beads off the mandrel, or getting the release out of the bead.
Please be sure you have good ventilation where you are torching! Safety really is important, you only have one set of lungs so you don't want to mess them up. Also keep in mind that the silver glasses like from Double Helix and Striking Color usually do not play nicely on a HotHead, so don't spend your money on them until you get a dual-fuel torch.
Have fun, good luck, and show us some of your beads!

Old 2014-04-09, 1:00pm

I started with devardi and a hothead. I think it's an excellent way to begin. I found that i HAD to have a rod warmer - everything became instant frit without - but with the rod warmer, their glass wasn't shocky at all. In time, if you get really addicted, and you spring for a dual-fuel torch, and an O2 concentrator, you've spent so much money it doesn't really matter anymore, then the expensive glass is lots of fun. When you're starting out, the really pricy stuff is an utter waste of money, and the pricy stuff is not always better. The Devardi people have good customer service, and a lot of great videos. Don't worry - you've done fine.
Old 2014-04-09, 1:01pm

I would also second the annealing bubbles. Much better than the blanket.
Old 2014-04-09, 3:59pm

I am not trying to disagree with anyone here and I have not used the bubbles, I make soft glass the size of pendants and only batch anneal and have not had one break because I used fiber blankets. I do use thick fiber blanket and it last almost forever.
Bob

e-mail:

Last edited by bob; 2014-04-09 at 4:25pm.
Old 2014-04-09, 9:23pm

Chiming in on the annealing bubbles...they work great. I used to put all my beads in them...and not in a crock pot either. Bubbles in a large tin can! Put hot bead in bubbles while still on mandrel...wha-la...a nicely cooled down bead in about an hour. I even took them off the mandrels and never broke a one. I finally got a Kingpin Kiln which is great but I may go back to the annealing bubbles and batch anneal when I have enough beads to fire up the kiln. One small bit of advise...the bubbles WILL stick to the bead if the bead is right out of the flame. Waft it around for a few seconds and THEN put it in the bubbles.

Old 2014-04-09, 9:29pm

Oh...to get bead off the mandrel, use a small pair of 'vise grips'. Soak the bead and mandrel for awhile in water then really tighten the 'vise grips' down on the mandrel and twist the bead off. Oh...and don't let the bead release go down the sink. I use a small screen to catch the bead release in the sink drain. Or clean in a dishpan and discard the bits of bead release in the garbage.