Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-13, 5:37am

Default Sooo.... it's been a while..

Sooo... it has been a while since I was last able to get my torch set up and melt some glass (like 6yrs)....I am just now getting set up again and am almost ready to pee myself I am sooo excited about being able to get back into my art again. I have been lurking around here again for a few weeks now, and must say that it still has that feeling of home.
Anyway.. being out of things for so long I know how they change. I am looking to make an order for some things needed and would like to know what is a good all around clear glass that works well with most other glass in the 104 range these days??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-13, 10:21am
honorary bead lady

Not sure, The answer isn't clear. I think you need to PM jamie lynne and ask her

There are half a dozen clear threads asking the same question, have you tried search?
Old 2013-03-13, 11:51am

oh shit another "what 104 clear is better" thread lol.
Old 2013-03-13, 1:15pm
I'm a lilac!

Everyone's mileage may vary, of course, but Uroboros has a new COE 104 clear that I've been using for a few months, and I love it. I haven't run into any compatibility issues or anything! Knock on wood. It's not too pricey, either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-13, 3:05pm

thank you all you for the posts.
yes i searched the threads.... but couldn't really find anything current.
i see that this is a touchy subject and am now regretting posting it
i used to like Ventrofondt but i see that is no longer made.
Precision Diamond Clear worked well for what little bit i could afford at the time, but i haven't seen that either.
i am looking at Elvis Clarity Super Clear, but very expensive. they have Uroboro as well but that is not in stock and i was hoping to only have to do one order... but that is not looking like it is going to happen.
again thank you for the input and i am sorry to open a tender wound, let us let it heal now.

Old 2013-03-13, 3:09pm
Wonder-wench

I like Effetre Super Clear, relatively inexpensive and good for most applications. Some people suggest a special Double Helix clear (Zephyr?) for use over silver glass.

Old 2013-03-13, 3:20pm

Ditto-Elizabeth

Effetre Crystal (Super) Clear 006 which is inexpensive, and I use Double Helix Zephyr but it is a lot more expensive.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-03-13, 3:30pm

oh thankyou! i was wondering if anyone had any kind of luck with the Effetre Crystal Clear. good to know that some do. and i will check out the Double Helix Zephyr for when i use the more expensive silver glass. good to know.
shheess who would have thought getting back into this would take such a learning curve "again"! lol

Old 2013-03-13, 3:56pm
Senior Moment

You can get the DH Zephyr at a better price on their seconds page. And since their seconds are better than some others firsts LOL it's a great deal.

Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-03-13, 4:53pm

thanks for the tip! much appreciated.

Old 2013-03-13, 5:18pm
Dix Harrison

FWIW, I also use Effetre Super Clear for a less expensive option and Zephyr or TAG Clarity for silver glass.

I do want to mention that I just pickled my first batch of Super Clear.
I tried it because I am one of those people who needs to see something to believe it. (Plus, I already had the silver pickle on hand because I work with metals. That made it easy to experiment.)

Well, whoa doggies!!!! What a difference pickling made! I got so inspired that I pickled every rod of Super Clear that I had--stringers up to 12mm. I am an enthusiastic and devout convert! Hallelujah!

Dix
Old 2013-03-13, 5:55pm
Heart of Flame

I agree with the others. I like Effetre Super Clear and I also use Zephyr for Silver Glass. I am thinking of trying pickling after hearing so many positive comments. I'm glad that you are able to torch again!

Edit to add: Do you know The Glass Shoppe in Ottawa? If not, then it's a must - Grace can set you up with some lovely Lauscha glass!

Last edited by wd2crv; 2013-03-13 at 5:57pm.
Old 2013-03-13, 6:09pm

wd2crv, thanks i am so happy that i will be able to do it soon. i can hardly wait. there is that evil little side of me that says screw the safety and just melt some glass **whisperwhisper*** but the fear in me keeps me on track to make sure that i have the proper set up before i start my torch.... humph..... lol
no! i did not know we had a glass shop in town that carries lampwork supplies!!! oh oh i know where i am heading tomorrow!! lalala
so it seem that the going clear has become clearer for me now, and i so much appreciate all your help that you all have been giving me. ya'll are the best!

Old 2013-03-13, 6:37pm
Storm Queen

Zephyr here.

Old 2013-03-14, 2:37am

fwiw, zephyr seconds are great. can't even tell they're seconds.
Old 2013-03-14, 5:35am

thank you for the advice on the seconds. it took me a bit to find it on their site but i did. and i think i will be checking that out.
zephyr is going to be the one i try for sure.
i really appreciate all the tips and advice you all have been giving me. hugs

Old 2013-03-14, 9:04pm
Heart of Flame

Safety first Mbrim! That is really important - but in the meantime, go to The Glass Shoppe and meet Grace - tell her Darryle in Toronto says hi! She's a really lovely lady and has great lampwork classes as well! She has lots of wonderful glassy things in her shop and she is right next door to Canada Bead so you will be well stocked! I envy you being so close!! Enjoy but remember safety first - get that ventilation going!

Old 2013-03-15, 5:42am

thank you Darryle. i went to the Glass Shoppe yesterday what a great place. Grace is just such a good soul. i really got along very well with her and am looking forward to getting know her better and others there as well. i am so excited to know that there is a place here that i will be able to go and get a bit of a social outlet with like minded people. i am finding that has become an important part of my life that has been missing for sometime now. and now there is some place that i can go and get supplies when i want them!!! (not sure if that is good or bad) but i can do it!!!! i am looking forward to being able to take some classes there too. she has some great ppl coming as well as some local people too. can you tell i am pretty excited about this... lol
Anyway, yes safety first all the time. my venting is pretty much done. i was having a problem getting a long enough propane hose and thought that i would have to order one and wait and wait and wait for it. but yesterday Grace sent me over to where i needed to get one and i can get it today. so it looks like i will be torching in the next couple of days depending how works goes and what time i have to put into it.
thank you again Darryle for turning me onto the Glass Shoppe it was a great find.
Mary

Old 2013-03-15, 7:03am

Hello Mbrim, I'm so glad you'll be melting glass soon!! After a broken wrist (a while back) I was off the torch for some time and when I finally got back it seemed I was all thumbs LOL I hope your return to the torch goes more smoothly.

--Best regards, Helene
Old 2013-03-15, 9:24am

I've let the glass lie fallow three times now--twice for a few years (the second time I even sold all my glass and equipment), and recently for about 6 months. Because of the "relearning curve," even though I started torchworking over 20 years ago, I'm STILL a beginner. Well, maybe an intermediate. Thank goodness I don't expect to make any money at this!
Lee
Old 2013-03-15, 9:39am
Heart of Flame

I'm so happy for you Mary! Grace is lovely and has wonderful teachers. I wish I was closer to Ottawa (I'm in Oakville, outside of Toronto) but couldn't handle all your snow!

I took a look at your website and you do very lovely work! Enjoy!

Old 2013-03-15, 5:06pm

thank you Helen. i have not been able to torch for umm 6 years now. and i have been hauling the whole set up around with me through 5 moves. i have gone down the thought road of selling it during a couple moves, but am very happy that i did not sell it.
it will be interesting to see where my skill level is at now...
when i was torching i sold some jewelry made with my beads. and i have a web site that has been pretty much abandoned since i stopped torching. but i would like to think that i can get my skill back up there at some point.

wow, thank you Darryle! that is pretty cool you checked out my site. like i said it has been some time since i have done anything with it and i don't even think that e-mail works right now.... but one thing at a time i guess. first get back torching and then see what might come of the site again.
i really hope that you might be able to make it up here for a class or two that i take, it would be nice, and i am sure that Grace would be more then happy to see you!!

just a side note: they ordered the wrong size propane hose, so now i am thinking that i will just order it from where i know i will get the right stuff and stop trying to find something that works around here. so just a slight more delay in the torching.
oh and did i mention that patients is a lesson that i think i am deemed to learn in this life.....