Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Old 2012-04-27, 11:17am

Many of us live in areas where there are no classes close. Having tutorials expands our knowledge, if we so desire. I would love to go to some of the classes some of the better known lampwork artist do, but I just can't find the money at this time. So the small amount of money that it costs for a tutorial is a Godsend to me. Thanks! Kelley
Old 2012-04-27, 11:19am
Mary Lockwood

I don't have a reply to the original poster who is simply a troll who likes to make false blanket statements then sit back and watch the chips fly, but I couldn't resist Willie and his gift-wrapped invitation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-27, 12:00pm
Hobby Junkie

Hmmmm... I guess we can tell what buttons get us going on this forum, when this thread has more posts in it than the sex toy thread in the bathroom. LOL.

PS. I agree with the majority of you. Tuts are like a written class. If I would pay to take a class with that person, I would pay for their tut. Now, if I only we could get John Kabuki to write a tut... I'd be in heaven!

Old 2012-04-27, 2:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherri View Post
Ok, so now that things have aired. I want to say a big thank you to ALL that have published a tutorial, free or pay. I am new to this (yes, expensive) new adventure and I have no one anywhere near me to answer questions or help me with learning. This site and these people have been so much help and support. Yes, I could have bought a book and melted a huge amount of glass to learn what I found in min. on this site. I work full time so my time on the torch if very limited and I want to get as much as I can out of it each time. I own and operate a gallery/workshop and we also teach as well as give information away to help our customers to help them. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.
So here is mine.
THANK YOU to you all for a wonderful site and friends.
I agree completely! I am in the same situation of not having resources near by. I simply cannot image lampworking without this resource. I have purchased many, many tutorials and learned tons from them and saved myself not only time but the heartache! A HUGE thank you to all.
Old 2012-04-27, 7:26pm
Nikki Haverstock

I am thinking someone is trying to poke the hornets nest.

Old 2012-04-27, 8:11pm
Mr. Cellophane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I bet you're a blast at parties.
Amy you crack my shit up girl.

Libby

Old 2012-04-27, 8:12pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby L. View Post
Amy you crack my shit up girl.

Old 2012-04-27, 8:24pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I'd also like to add that my signature links to a lulu published book
that has a ton of really great tutorials in it - all donated by people
on this forum. They spent a lot of time and energy photographing
the process, and sharing all their knowledge, just for the purpose
of giving back to this community.

And before anyone mentions that "well, this is a book that you have
to pay for, so it doesn't count", you should know that I have it listed
there at cost. I don't make one penny from it, nor does LE or any
of the contributors. You just pay for the printing costs. That's all.
Some vendors even threw in some coupons in the back for people.

I think that says a lot about the caliber of people on this forum.
They are generous, and very open with their knowledge.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2012-04-27, 9:27pm

The tutorials I have purchased have been well worth the money. If you don't want them, you don't have to buy them.
Old 2012-04-27, 9:29pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Savina View Post
I second that Amy. I've written free tuts, one pay for tut, I've downloaded the tuts I want that are free, and I've paid for several of the tuts I want. So I just think that this original poster must not appreciate that tutorials "TAKE TIME!!!!" and "ENERGY!!!"", and all the "BRAIN POWER" you can muster up if glass beads is not your full time job, or even if it is. 11 posts hmmm Maybe I'll go fly a plane tomorrow. FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!
(That was sarcasm) SOOOOO unlike me.

J.
Oh good, that's just what I wanted to say but I don't have the energy to respond to such a wank - thanks

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-04-27, 9:41pm
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdesigns View Post
i'm not sure this thread is worth the attention. The op averages one post every 6 months. Maybe they should contribute here more and start with writing a few free tutorials.
damm right!
Old 2012-05-01, 11:11am
To bead Yeah! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riosanjuan View Post
Isn't there an old adage that says: " Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach." Five years ago you could find lots of tutorials here and most of them were free. Now it is rare to find a free tutorial.

If you you see a bead you like, try to figure out how to make it. You will learn far more than you would from a tutorial.

And forget about all the BS that you may be stealing somone else's design.
There are no beads on this site that haven't already been made sometime in the last 2,000 years.
I have no idea why you are being so rude, did no one "TEACH" you any manners!

"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge"
Albert Einstein

_
NEW "Marble Twist" tut!
HOLLOW BEAD, 3D SQUARES for hollow beads, Rose Murrini and Multi Murrini tut, JETZT alle in DEUTSCH erhältlich!

Last edited by Astrid Riedel; 2012-05-01 at 11:14am.
Old 2012-05-01, 11:42am

Interesting how this person created a hornets nest and has not responded to any comments since.
Old 2012-05-01, 12:00pm
Uh Oh....

Not exactly sure why riosanjuan started this thread since the implication is they don't need any tutorials, free or paid.

Old 2012-05-01, 12:29pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I am pretty sure the OP is just busy writing a tutorial on how to be a supreme ass. I usually don't pay trolls much nevermind but it seems to rediculous to troll an art forum. Don't you know us creative creatures are sensitive and junk like that? Actually, after typing that out I now realize we are perfect for troll bait. You are just mean!

Old 2012-05-04, 12:42pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Poet, I'm going to be a bit more specific than you were. You see everyone, Willie is a high school shop teacher, teaching cabinetry and metalworking. Do you do that for free Willie? Otherwise you would be selling your knowledge...right?

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...57&postcount=1

Well, you know, those who can't do, teach.

It took my husband and I 2 months to create our photography tutorial. Almost the same for my bead tutorial AND video. And, btw, I can take photographs and I can make goddess beads. And I sell both. So, your adage is proven wrong, cabinet maker.
Old 2012-05-04, 12:43pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
The tutorials I have purchased have been well worth the money. If you don't want them, you don't have to buy them.
I have to say that I did buy one that was a complete waste of time, but that was my fault. lol
Old 2012-05-04, 12:50pm
Entropy increasing....

He didn't come back because that is what trolls do...
Old 2012-05-04, 12:54pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieswonder View Post
I have been deep in many expensive hobbies in my lifetime, and this is the only one where the others in the hobby try to sell their knowledge.
Pretty stupid to say who you are and where you work and then say the BS above.
I'm straight-up calling you a liar...name 3 hobbies you had or have and I will give you examples of someone wanting to sell you their knowledge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
I am thinking someone is trying to poke the hornets nest.
yeah...didn't someone get banned recently??

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-05-04, 2:04pm
I think I could be a bead

i think this is the same troll who posted in the polymer clay room, just under a different name.

Old 2012-05-04, 2:56pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybellykelley View Post
Many of us live in areas where there are no classes close. Having tutorials expands our knowledge, if we so desire. I would love to go to some of the classes some of the better known lampwork artist do, but I just can't find the money at this time. So the small amount of money that it costs for a tutorial is a Godsend to me. Thanks! Kelley
I completely agree! I would love to take some classes but I don't have the $$ to travel & take the classes I'd like to. I love the fact that I can buy tutorials and take a "mini class" from so many different, talented artists.

THANK YOU!!

Although...I shouldn't say thank you. You all have made me addicted to them! I have to buy each new one that comes out!

Old 2012-05-04, 3:21pm

Lampworking is not a common hobby/business. We are a fairly small niche and so classes on lampworking aren't so easy to come by for some people.

Tutorials allow us to learn from teachers who we may never be able to meet in person. I'm more than willing to pay for someone's expertise.

I guess if I followed the original poster's logic, I'd be giving my magazine away for free too. Since I obviously can't make beads, all I can do is write about making beads.

Old 2012-05-04, 7:01pm
Shelarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud101 View Post
i think this is the same troll who posted in the polymer clay room, just under a different name.
I think you have a good point. I wonder if it's a 'regular' who is posting inflammatory stuff to stir the pot.

Old 2012-05-05, 12:34am

Wow! Seems to me that those who cannot DO must insult those that have done well!

I love every tutorial I've ever purchased, and they are many!

Thanks so much to EVERY person who has taken the time to not only be interested in lampworking, but spent YEARS honing your craft, time, energy and money in perfecting what you do and THEN being generous enough to SHARE that knowledge for free or a mere pittance.

I am not even joking a little bit, I feel honored to be able to purchase tutorials from people such as the ones who offer them for sale on this forum. THANK YOU.

Old 2012-05-07, 5:31pm

What she said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflames View Post
Wow! Seems to me that those who cannot DO must insult those that have done well!

I love every tutorial I've ever purchased, and they are many!

Thanks so much to EVERY person who has taken the time to not only be interested in lampworking, but spent YEARS honing your craft, time, energy and money in perfecting what you do and THEN being generous enough to SHARE that knowledge for free or a mere pittance.

I am not even joking a little bit, I feel honored to be able to purchase tutorials from people such as the ones who offer them for sale on this forum. THANK YOU.

Old 2012-05-15, 4:18am

I would like to say every hobby I have ever did I had to pay for instuctions whether it be from the actual teacher or through books, tutorials or what not. I have never seen a hobby that was free and believe me I've tried a bunch of different hobbies. You can branch out from the hobbies that people have posted about and still have to pay for a teacher. Gardening, horse back riding, sky diving. if you can name it; someone teaches it and gets paid to teach it. I love that I can buy a tuturial, its like having a teacher you can pull out and study under anytime you want. Yes I have taken classes but by far I have bought a many of tuturials and OMG the free ones are out there you just have to look for them. I love all my tuturials and will purchase many many more. I have learned something from each and every one of them. I love this place and I love how open these people are with their information and if you don't get that just bugger off and stay off.
Old 2012-05-17, 7:11pm

This thread has inspired me to go buy another tutorial. I would like to say thank you to all the tut writers who have taken the time to share their expertise. I haven't been able to take a class with anyone yet, this is a great substitue. I feel lucky to be part of a community who shares their knowledge so freely. THANK YOU!
Old 2012-06-05, 6:01am

Look, you must remember that "Opinions are a like armpits. Everyone has them and they all stink." That being said this person is entitled to his\her opinion. For me, I am a hobbiest I work glass and leather for fun and friends. I am just getting to the point where my work is becomming marketable. I will probably try to sell a few items if only for afirmation that they are in fact "good enough" to be marketable. Getting to this point of ability has been a learning journey of both experimentation and tutorials, some free and some paid for. I personally do not beleive that I would have "stumbled" across some of the techinques that I have learned and currently use via experimentation. I needed the instruction provided by a tutorial. My brain is just not wired in a way to see these techniques without the aid of instruction. Once seeing\learning a technique, I do at times think, "Oh yea , of course that makes sense!" To those artists\teachers that write a tutorial that allows me to achive these "AhHA!" moments, I thank you.
I beleive that work requires compenstation (Yep that is the conservative in me). The fact that a person spent the time , energy and resources to create a tutorial requires they be compensated for the effort. This compensatin may be monetary or just the kudos from fellow lampwokers. The type\amount of compensation is up the creator not the consumer. The consumer can then choose whether or not (Based on the type\amount of compensation requested.) to either "pay" the price or do without. Hey that woud be the free enterprise system ain't it great? I for one will pay. It is cheaper than traveling to each of these teacher's\artist's homes and requestiing training. Again to those of you that write tutorials, I thank you and keep up the good work.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Old 2012-06-05, 5:20pm

"Those that can, do, those that can't, teach, " is as ridiculous as
"Blue and green should never be seen".
Something that started out as a stoopid remark, and has been repeated often enough, so some people think it is true. Take a cliche, and treat it as fact.

I would venture a remark of my own. Being able to DO is no guarantee that one can TEACH as well. Those that can do both, well, are to be congratulated and appreciated. There are many of these talented artists on the LE forum and we thank you, every one, for what you contribute.

KMD
Old 2012-06-17, 5:08am
Lava Maker

Great topic. I came to lampworking as a more "mature" in body person. And have a full time day job. I love lessons, workshops and tuts. I can't afford to spend years learning something on my own. When I was 20, 30 or 40 something, possibly, but probably not.

Why spend a lot of time, when I can gain knowledge from others. When I buy a tut I often follow the steps, because I want to be sure I understand the reasons (and science) for the steps.

I once bought a tut that didn't provide what I expected. It did however, explain something I "knew", but didn't know, apparently. I had an ah ha moment, and didn't regret the $20 to fix a really bad habit.

Ann DeHoff