Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-08-13, 1:41pm
PyronamixK

As soon as GTT comes off the introductory price, then I will be one of the first distributors to carry it.
Old 2008-08-13, 1:53pm

If I understood Wally correctly, the special colors are $10 more.

Ginko Beads
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-13, 2:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
Hey Scott,

Can you give me some information on how you think the cricket might compare to a minor on one oxycon?

I am considering getting one of the cricket torches. I have heard nothing but great reviews about all the GTT products and was also told that GTT torches burn much cleaner then the minor.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Hi Deb, missed you at this years gathering. How are you.

I know you'll like it better then the minor. Thats what its designed to do, work on smaller oxy units. And what I saw and felt. Its living up to its design concept.

Another LE member PM'd with a question regarding the cricket and GTT torches in general. Here is part of my reply. This is just my opinion and what I gleamed trying out all the torches at the open torch nights at the gathering.

"Heres the thing about GTT torches vs the rest. I hear people say that the other torches have more radiant heat. But what I found at the gathering. Is that the radiant heat from the other torches just burnt my fingers and did not melt the glass as fast as the GTT's focused heat. I use a GTT Phantom, I also have the lynx that I start out with. I hold my fingers on the mandrel about 2 inches away from the flame when working with the lynx center fire of the phantom. This gives me amazing control. With the other torches I tried I had to hold the mandrel way back which felt sloppy and harder to control. Even with the phantom rocking with both inner and outer fires blazing I still can work very close to the flame. where as with the Nortel Red Max I could barley stand to hold the mandrel at the very end, and yet the glass was not melting nearly as fast as the phantom".

Now as far as any torches compare. One would really need to work with all the torches over a longer period to really find the trade offs and personality of each brand. But the GTT's burn amazingly clean.

But for me its a GTT or a GTT. My next torch will be the the GTT Kabuki. I had the pleasure of working with it at the gathering on the tanks and then on two Regalias and all I can say is WOW WOW WOW oh yea WOW.

But I'm a torch nut and a sucker for great design.

Scott

ESTY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2008-08-13 at 3:12pm.
Old 2008-08-13, 2:43pm
I need more boro stuff

Thanks Kim

I think I'm sold with purple powder coat color with sparkle.

And thanks Scott for the info

Old 2008-08-13, 6:04pm

Hi Kim

Do you have any insight as to the other colors that will be available?

I love the name "cricket".

Thanks Scott for all the input you gave after trying them out.

Thanks, Catt

Old 2008-08-13, 6:48pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Thanks for the repsonse Scott.

I had to decide on the Gathering or go to Glass Stock. I decided on Glass Stock and can't wait.

Old 2008-08-13, 8:02pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

reminds me of Men in Black's tiny little 'cricket' gun.
I'm going to post pictures of this everywhere so i can hint to people that i NEEEEED one for my birthday.

Old 2008-08-13, 8:57pm

just placed my order for one. I think it will be used as my fuming torch. for the intro price and the quality of GTT torches this is just to good to pass on. thanks for the heads up on the product.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-08-14, 2:41am

You know what! After al this positive stories I'm going to order one!
I think the price is fantastic and I think it will work perfectly for what I want to do!
(now I have to find the money for a oxy concentrator)

Old 2008-08-14, 10:10am
Sheila

Can you attach a marver to GTT torches, or specifically on the Cricket? How would you do that? I don't have one on my Pirahna, but I've always wanted one.

Old 2008-08-14, 10:15am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

They said they have purple as a standard first run, but for $10 extra you can get sparkly purple! I would love to see what sparkly purple looks like!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-14, 10:26am

Yes you can put a marver on GTT torches. Its a simple clamp and all you will need is a screw driver.
Scott

ESTY
Old 2008-08-14, 1:37pm
I need more boro stuff

I'm going to get the sparkle purple

Old 2008-08-14, 8:34pm

Now I want sparkle! and cz's on the body and round the base. Can I have gilding too? LOL

Kym
Old 2008-08-14, 8:41pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I am betting you can pimp it up with crystals and such when you get it

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-15, 12:05am

LOL. That's a great idea for a show, Pimp My Torch! Oooh I feel a little competition coming on, great idea for a meet challenge.

Cheers
Kym
Old 2008-08-15, 7:49am
PyronamixK

Kym, Willy tried two Crickets on 7 LPM last night and said that you could get a usable flame out of both of them, but that they were a little starved. I'm going to try to get down there and see just how usable the flame really is and I'll report back to you.
Old 2008-08-15, 7:52am
PyronamixK

As for pimping the torches - I was actually thinking about adding some bling to the ones that I order/sell for anyone that would like that.

I now have in my hot little hands a Cricket in the standard purple color and on the standard base. It is pretty! The purple is really a metallic pinkish purple and the base and arms are silver colored. It looks really sharp just like it is. I will try to take a picture later today. I have to take the baby to the pediatrician this morning, so it might be a little later this afternoon or tonight before I can add photos.
Old 2008-08-15, 8:13am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt View Post
Hi Kim

Do you have any insight as to the other colors that will be available?

I love the name "cricket".

Thanks Scott for all the input you gave after trying them out.

Thanks, Catt
Hey Catt!

I missed seeing you, Fred, and Pebbles this year!

I believe that GTT can powder coat the torches in just about any color. I don't know which ones can have sparkles, though. I'll ask what's available.

I'm glad that you like the name "Cricket!"

At first, the guys were thinking about calling it the "Chipmunk." There's nothing wrong with that, it's a cute name and I thought a logo with a Chipmunk holding a bead would be cute (btw, so did Wally - he thought of the same thing, too, independently). But, there was just something about "Chipmunk" that didn't click for this torch. They might use that name "Chipmunk" for a future torch. I don't know.

Anyway, when I was testing the torch out, I just started calling it "cricket." I thought that that little torch sure could "sing" like a cricket - you sure could get a lot of heat out of something so small - just like how small little crickets can chirp so loudly. I mainly just liked the sound of "cricket." Well, Willy liked the way it sounded, too. So, Willy talked to Wally and they went back and forth about it and eventually, Wally liked the name, too, and that's how the Cricket got its name.
Old 2008-08-15, 10:26am
Butterfly Rancher

I just called for my Cricket -- I'm going standard purple. The only reason I didn't jump on this faster is because I just got a Betta last week for my birthday. I'm not sure what combination of torches I'll end up with since I still have my MiniCC. But I love the idea of a torch designed specifically for low pressure O2 and fuel. I'll be very interested to see how the Cricket tests out on my 1/4 household NG. Can't wait for September!

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-08-15, 10:38am
PyronamixK

O.K., I just tried two Crickets hooked up running on 7 LPM. I was able to make some small soft glass test beads with no problem. It's not as good as having both on 10 LPM, but it was still doable.
Old 2008-08-15, 2:50pm
Sheila

When I ordered my Pirahna, I looked forward to getting it but I could contain myself. OMG! I'm jumping-out-of-my-seat excited about this torch! Anyone but me getting silly over this thing?

Old 2008-08-15, 3:14pm

i so want one, and so does my sister. i can't wait to get it!

Old 2008-08-15, 4:35pm

Thanks for that Kim! Thats a big help in deciding what to do. Would they run much better on a Regalia together? Would they be starved together in that situation or would a Regalia be good for two together? I am still thinking of the roadtrip my hubby wants to do......

I put myself on the list for the purple one but now I want Sparkles and for it to be pimped too!

Thanks
Kym
Old 2008-08-15, 8:38pm
Boro Brat

I am sooooo ordering one of these. I have caved I figure I can use to make little things when I've used up my oxygen at home.

Now...I'm thinking the sparkly green one with the sparkly green knobs. Sexy? I do believe!

Old 2008-08-16, 8:21pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
Thanks for that Kim! Thats a big help in deciding what to do. Would they run much better on a Regalia together? Would they be starved together in that situation or would a Regalia be good for two together? I am still thinking of the roadtrip my hubby wants to do......

I put myself on the list for the purple one but now I want Sparkles and for it to be pimped too!

Thanks
Kym
Although they were still operable when they were running together on 7 LPM, they do run better together on 10 LPM. The 10 LPM gives about 5 LPM each if both torches are set the same, whereas 7 LPM only gives 3.5 LPM each.
Old 2008-08-17, 1:01am

Kim, The Regalia is 10lpm isn't it? So it should run two together or have I got the wrong end of the stick? At 5lpm each, they should run quite well?

Kym
Old 2008-08-19, 8:26am

I was going to go with the Mega Minor but the extra cost of a more powerful oxygen concentrator, or running two in sequence, was holding me back. This torch sounds perfect for me since I will be running on household NG but now I'm wondering which OxyCon would be best. I'm kicking the tires on Extreme Oxygen concentrators and wondering if I can get away with the EX-5 at 5LPM @ 7PSI or if I'd be better off to spend a little extra and get the EX-10 at 5LPM @ 10PSI? I don't want to spend more than I have to when there's so much pretty glass to be tried but I don't want to kick myself later for going with the cheaper option if it doesn't work. An opinions??

Cricket, Oxy Con, Natural Gas

Last edited by Willabeast; 2008-08-19 at 8:52am.
Old 2008-08-19, 10:29am
PyronamixK

The Crickets were tested on the DeVilbis MC (5 LPM at 8.5 psi) and on an Invacare (5 LPM at 5 psi). I sell both of those concentrators. They are $375 plus shipping. Right now, my current supplier does not ship outside of the US, but I am working on adding another supplier for international orders.

ETA: Wally at GTT also tested the Crickets on an M-10 (the same thing as the EX-10) and what he found was that the DeVilbiss he used ran the Cricket better than the M-10. He tested the actual pressure output of each machine as it was running the torch (he ran the lines through an in-line pressure gauge) and found that while they were running, the DeVilbiss was pushing more pressure than the M-10 was, even though the static pressures were different.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2008-08-19 at 10:35am.
Old 2008-08-19, 10:30am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
Kim, The Regalia is 10lpm isn't it? So it should run two together or have I got the wrong end of the stick? At 5lpm each, they should run quite well?

Kym
Yes, the Regalia is 10 LPM and the Crickets do run well on 5 LPM each.