Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Old 2011-02-21, 6:42am

Default Brass Frit and Boro???

Any one had any luck?
Old 2011-02-22, 5:42am
Mary Lockwood

No boro sorry!

Was looking for something new to do last night so I jumped on the brass frit bandwagon for the first time. I didn't have any of the frit so I used a pair of shop scissors and cut the bristles off a brass brush I found in my hubby's tool box. LOL

Bead is still in the kiln--I only did one to see if it cracks or if I need to change anything. Will post later if it lived through the kiln.

Thanks for sharing this technique! I hadn't read the thread in a while before I played with this last night and didn't remember the part about 'don't put the brass right in the flame'. LOL Woohoo fireworks! yeah----don't do that

~~Mary

edited to add:
Well bummer. I took it out of the kiln and it looked awesome so I cleaned it up to take pictures and it started cracking right before my eyes as I was focusing the camera. Started out as one small crack between two bubbles then crazed out from there in a web of cracks. I must have used too much, but it looked ok at the time. Was my favorite frog of the night too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Moth; 2011-02-22 at 7:18am.
Old 2011-02-22, 7:40am
put a bird on it

Sorry about your bead

But, that must have been pretty cool to watch!

I will try the boro this morning & report back...
Old 2011-02-22, 8:05am

I did try boro and it did not work for me. The bubbles would not form. I think the glass is too stiff.

Old 2011-02-22, 12:19pm
Your Royal Fritness

Thanks for trying it with boro Cynthia, that was my thought on it too.

Old 2011-02-22, 4:49pm
put a bird on it

I tried with boro today as well. Here is what I found..... my brass 'frit' was a combo of brass & copper as it is what I had saved from my deburring of my pandora tubing. It did seem to work...the only trouble I had was that some bubbles got too big & kept coming to the surface and popping. This kept distorting the shape of my bead. So, I just kind of went with it and made the bead into a nugget shape and I think that worked out OK.

It's in the kiln annealing now, but I since I had to leave the house after I made it, I let the kiln cool & did checked it out when I got home. Seemed OK with no cracks. I think it might have worked out fine, bubble-wise if I had gone a bit slower - I was in a hurry & working hot. I'll probably give another go when I have more time if it's not too fugly
Old 2011-03-09, 6:15pm

Elise, Did you get pictures?
Old 2011-05-26, 6:38pm
Loving learning

I have a bag that I think is at least 2 pounds given to me by someone who works in a foundry. He said it may have other shavings/dust in there too, not all brass.
We were discussing how to separate it out, and he brought me a dental "shaker" thing, but I couldn't tell if that was really working.
On a whim, I passed a strong magnet over the bowl, and it looks like all brass that jumped up to the magnet.
Any thoughts from anyone as to:
a/ what would happen if there was some aluminum in there with the brass?
b/ whether the magnet would be a good enough separator?
c/ anything else I may have forgotten?
Old 2011-05-26, 10:04pm
Cat Winx

Carbon steel would jump to the magnet (NOT something you'd want in your beads, I am guessing) ..aluminum and brass would not.
Works great to get the steel out (leftovers from the process which created the brass shavings no doubt). Not sure why there would be aluminum in there or how to get that out.. but the steel.. that you definitely want to remove.

Just my two cents.

~Rachel

Old 2011-05-27, 11:01am
Loving learning

Hmmm, the brass jumped up, I'll have to try again. I wonder if it is bronze?
It is an aluminum foundry, so he said that there might be a little from previous jobs that was in the area when he did the "brass".

Maybe I'll just put a tiny bit under some clear just to see what happens. I'll run my ventilation, but also leave the door & other windows open while I do it just in case. I'm getting ready to go out for some PPP on making even beads, but I'll do that while I'm out there, no trying to make it pretty, just to see what it does.
Old 2011-05-27, 11:10am
Your Royal Fritness

I would test it out. Just remember to keep it out of the flame. I have some clean stuff if yours does not work out

Old 2011-05-27, 1:08pm
Loving learning

Dawn, thanks for the help. I think this might be working.

I tried it, and I think it made bubbles, but it is hard to tell for sure. One "fzzttted" & made me jump that escaped encasement on the side, and I stopped & grabbed the camera & took a shot then stuck it in the hot vermiculite. So if it makes it through cooling I'll check with a magnifying glass & a bit more time to see what happened to it all.
It did stick to the magnet, so I'm not sure why that is, but I took some pictures in case anyone knows what I've got, etc.
on the magnet after holding the magnet down to the frit in the bowl

what I scattered on the marver (ruler is metric)

the bead with what I take to be tiny bubbles, just a base of black, rolled in frit, then clear over the frit
Old 2011-05-28, 9:51am
Loving learning

OK, I took the bead out of the crock pot a little bit ago, and I definitely have bubbles. I'm still mystified about what metal it is though. I'm guessing some type of mixture, brass & iron incuded?

Anyway, the bead did crack in one place, but the experiment was successful in that I learned that I can do bubbles with this bag of .... metal.

(the bead is black with clear, the colors are from the beads on the other mandrels in my hand and the color of my shirt)
Old 2011-05-28, 5:43pm
Loving learning

OK, I took the beads off the mandrel just now, and that bead has more cracks than I thought, won't last long.

The turquoise & aqua one I did had just begun to form bubbles, and looking at it more closely I can see dirty looking stuff in there, so maybe it just isn't as noticeable against the black. I think I'll cut some brass of the little brushes I bought for my drill see what they do.
Old 2011-05-29, 4:40am
Your Royal Fritness

Ellen it was a very pretty bead These beads have to go directly into a kiln. I think you would lose most of them putting them into vermiculite due to the stress the bubbles cause.

Have a great Holiday Weekend!

Old 2011-06-08, 4:21pm
Loving learning

The friend who gave me the shavings/frit/whatever came by with some more. I asked about it being magnetic, and he said it is actually manganese bronze. He said neither is magnetic alone, but the blend is magnetic.

So it isn't brass, but it still worked, so I'll be trying it again with the kiln running this time!
Old 2011-06-08, 4:37pm

devardi glass sells the brass frit on their website.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2011-06-08, 5:06pm
Loving learning

But this is free! He's brought me two bags of it now, sandwich bag size.
Old 2011-06-08, 6:19pm
Your Royal Fritness

That will last you a very very long time. I like free too!

Old 2011-06-08, 7:00pm
Loving learning

He also mentioned that he might have some copper with 4% silver. Has anyone ever tried copper? I've used the sheets to make shapes for inclusion, but not frit.
Old 2011-06-15, 7:12am
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Eileen, where are you in FL? I'd love to see those beads up close and also the frit up close.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2011-06-15, 11:45am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
He also mentioned that he might have some copper with 4% silver. Has anyone ever tried copper? I've used the sheets to make shapes for inclusion, but not frit.
Copper works too it is just like the sheets I'm not sure with the silver mixed in, it might muck things up a bit unless it is .995.

Old 2011-06-15, 12:39pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie View Post
Eileen, where are you in FL? I'd love to see those beads up close and also the frit up close.
Tillie, I'm north of Tampa 20-30 minutes. Where are you? Anywhere close enough to get together? The one with the black core now has definite big cracks, but it is still holding together (just sitting there) which makes me want to give it another try with the kiln waiting this time.
Old 2011-06-15, 12:42pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Dawn View Post
Copper works too it is just like the sheets I'm not sure with the silver mixed in, it might muck things up a bit unless it is .995.
Well he wasn't sure about the copper, but he's going to give me some if it works out. I was wondering about the silver but didn't ask a time frame. If he brings me some I'll be sure & test & report. I have a couple of rolls of stuff for cutouts, maybe I'll try to nip some tiny pieces & see what happens with some of that.
Old 2011-06-17, 8:31pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I'm down around Ft. Myers, but that's still close enough to get together every once in awhile! I can use all the help with my fledgling lampworking tries as I can get. I'll be back down there before the first of July. Maybe we can arrange to meet up after I get back home.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2011-06-17, 9:20pm
Loving learning

I think the FL Glass Dragons are meeting at the Morean Art Center's Hot Shop soon, so if not before maybe we can both attend that!
Old 2011-07-05, 8:30pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Can't wait to give this a go. I'll be batch annealing also (most of the time, anyway), but I can't wait to see what happens anyway
Thanks Eileen - that little baggy and card came today as the loveliest surprise

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-07-05, 9:11pm
Loving learning

One of the two I did without putting them in the kiln did crack, but it was still fun.
Old 2011-07-06, 4:07am
Your Royal Fritness

Quote:
Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
Can't wait to give this a go. I'll be batch annealing also (most of the time, anyway), but I can't wait to see what happens anyway
Thanks Eileen - that little baggy and card came today as the loveliest surprise
If you are going to batch anneal try walking your beads out of the flame slowly. What I mean is take your time cooling your bead in the back of the flame before you put it into the fiber blanket. Some people call this flame annealing (I don't) but it might save a few of your beads before you can batch anneal them.

This past week I've been imploding brass frit and it is pretty cool

Old 2011-07-06, 1:06pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Thanks, Dawn Yep, I was looking to do that to see if it makes any difference, given what I'd read so far. A reminder never goes astray.

Ooh, would love to see how that imploding works out!

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107