No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-07-17, 6:02pm
Nina

Default Lampwork - Home Setup

First of all - I am so new to this that I didn't even know what a "thread" was (I'm still not sure). Anyway....
...I have taken classes and have read books and now I want to set up to make lampwork beads at home. I know about the basic equipment I'll need but my husband is speculating about issues the town and our insurance company might have. He is not one to do things on the sly - a real up and up kind of guy - he's not as boring as that sounds. Does anyone know what I might run into as far as safety regulations are concerned or what I might need to do? Thanks!!!!
Old 2005-07-17, 8:17pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You simple question has now become a thread....

A "thread" is a series of text message usually strung together to ask a question or explain something along a common theme or thread...

Since all insurance companies are different, best thing is to approach it head on and ask them what the stipulations may be with the policy.... There have been reactions from , its ok and nothing special, to not allowed, no way, no how... If you are going to make beads as a hobby, they will have different approach to how they may cover you/your home than if you tell them its going to be a home based business.... I would not even consider calling it a (possible) business till you see if you are really going to stick with making beads... The business aspect can come later.

You may have to really explain the processes, the real concern will probably be the torch, all the rest of the stuff (except maybe kiln) is really very benign.

Remember propane tanks or any fuel tanks over 1 pound size are always outside, even if they (insurance agent) don't ask.... Most insurance agents are not even aware of lamp working, so you may really have to educate them.

As for city regulations, they probably only have concerns about fuel storage and that will be probably be a Fire Dept. code issue. As for possible doing business out of a residence, what ever the city rules may be (city business license). If it's a hobby then fire safety (torch) may be only concern.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-07-17 at 8:27pm.
Old 2005-07-17, 8:21pm
Stress Cracked

My insurance company couldn't care less about my home studio as long as it is a hobby and not a business.

Fuel supply and ventilation are the two biggies with respect to safety. Only bulk fuel supply installation is likely to involve local inspectors. If you use a Hothead torch with a small canister then you don't need any special permits.

My fuel supply is a bbq style bulk propane tank professionally plumbed via metal piping and pressure regulators into my studio. I installed my fuel supply first then asked for a township inspection after - which was the wrong way to do it. You are supposed to ask for a permit first, then get it installed, then have the installation inspected. So even though I sought the township's blessing, they refused to come out to check it out because I didn't do things in the proper order.
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson