Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-04-07, 12:58am
needs to light the torch.

Default Surface Heart Decorations?

I know, it seems so easy but I have tried with two little dots and pulling down the end.
Mine just don't seem to work... well they suck truth to tell!
I hate ruining cool beads with crappy hearts...

Would someone care to share the technique???
Pretty Please?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-07, 1:16am
I fart diamonds

Try one dot, raked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-07, 1:19am
needs to light the torch.

OMG!!! So I have to win the biggest idiot of the week award...

really??? just one dot raked???

ok I am so going to bed, hopefully tomorrow my common sense will have returned!

Old 2006-04-07, 2:14am

when I make my clover leafs I put three dots of green, melt them in a bit then draw a line through each with a needle to where they should meet... so I assume if that gives me heart shaped leafs it will give you heart shapes too. I do keep lots of needles on hand in handles to do this... for handles I just ram them down into lengths of dowel.

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2006-04-07, 2:59am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskerWood Studio
OMG!!! So I have to win the biggest idiot of the week award...

really??? just one dot raked???

ok I am so going to bed, hopefully tomorrow my common sense will have returned!
Yes. When I make donut beads with hearts on them, I just put big dots on the edge and twirl the bead on the edge of my putty knife. It makes nice hearts. I've tried Alan's way, too, but I'm lazy and like the look of the raked hearts.

Old 2006-04-07, 6:15am
Formerly SirWatson

I just made one last night and love it using the two dot method! I'll post pictures when I get home this evening.

Edited to add picture:

To make this bead, I placed two large dots of opal yellow close to each other and let them melt in just a little. Then I slightly flattened the tops of the dots to push them a little closer together. I heated them to round again by flashing them in the flame and then took a dental pick and raked between the dots to a point. Then I lightly heated the heart in spots to help round out the tops and bring the tip to a more defined point.

I've only made a few of these, but I think I'm addicted!

<><

Last edited by Solana; 2006-04-11 at 5:35am.
Old 2006-04-07, 10:20am
Anna Duhame

I will have to make a needle tool...what a great idea!

Old 2006-04-07, 1:53pm

you'll have to make several to many... they heat up very fast due to the tiny amount of metal at a needle tip. once they heat up glass sticks with eagerness. best to just grab a new tool every few rakes and rotate them.

A.

A woman can't be trusted with decisions about her own body, but multi-national corporations can make decisions affecting all mankind without regulation.
Old 2006-04-26, 8:43pm
NW Oregon

I do my raking with a piece of glass....either a stringer or a rod which I've rolled so the end is pointy and has been warmed in the flame but not heated so it becomes soft. It takes a bit of practice to learn how hot to heat the spot on the bead and to learn to keep the stringer from overheating but I find that glass used as a rake grabs the bead glass better than a pointy tool. I've never tried a bent rake though [the rake is a pointy tool that's got a bent end]. I also don't like how the metal will sometimes leave black deposits in the glass.

Try both ways and see what you think. Oh, and the single raked dot works great for hearts.
J

Jennifer
Highland Beads
Old 2006-05-13, 2:13am
Ruri Glass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskerWood Studio
I know, it seems so easy but I have tried with two little dots and pulling down the end.
I make these heart-shaped petals in the way you described. The reason I don't comb one dot in this case is that I want stumpy hearts and that the base is metal leaf. I use pointed Pyrex rod to pull the end.

Old 2006-05-15, 9:08am

Emiko,
That is gorgeous. It looks like a Faberge Egg!! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2006-05-15, 10:40am

Just one quick note, if your rake is sticking and remaining hot you aren't quenching it frequently enough. Except for very thick metal tools, I recomend quenching after each use and before you put it down on your bench, finally - a GOOD habit. Jeri
Old 2006-05-15, 7:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette
Try one dot, raked.
I do it this way too, in fact, I have a picture of a bead I made on Saturday just this way. This are stacked dots, raked.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:

Last edited by Lara; 2006-05-15 at 7:34pm.
Old 2006-05-16, 6:23am

Pretty bead, Lara. And to the "award winning" Nicole, I use a clear stringer to rake my dots. You can do it with boro also....