Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-06-22, 7:36am
East Texas Piney Woods

Default Using Enamel powders

Hi, I'm hoping someone would be good enough to make and post a tutorial on how to use the Thompson enamel powders to add color and texture to our beads. It's obvious that many are already doing it, but I can't find any tutorials or directions on doing it. I am aware that they need to be handled with masks on and ventilation going strong, but we need to hear how to actually apply the powders for various effects, blends, textures, etc. Thanks in advance.
David.
Old 2006-06-22, 8:13am
Anna Duhame

I am constantly using enamels, as long as you don't breathe them in, they are simple to use. I use mine like frit...I keep it in a little container and then put it in a spoon to roll my bead through. Some people sprinkle it on in a shaker, you can use stencils to create patterns on your marver and then roll your bead through it. You can mix different colors to get a nicely mottled effect. You can overheat it to boil it and that is another cool effect. I especially like leaving it raised to add texture. The best advice I can give you is to get some, experiment with it. You may discover some very cool techniques on your own. If I had to choose one color I couldn't live without it would be white.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-06-22, 9:08am
East Texas Piney Woods

Thanks, Anna

Thanks for a lot of information in a fairly short answer. I just received my order of samples yesterday, and am looking forward to experimenting. BTW, I enjoy looking at your Show & Tell posts.

David
Old 2006-06-22, 9:12am

Here are some links about using enamels and the precautions to take when using them:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hlight=enamels

http://www.sgb-midatlantic.org/how-tos.html#Using Enamels

If you hear of a Jenifer Geldard close to you, GO! I just took one at Libby's (Sorella Beads); it was the best class I ever took. She shares ALL her techniques and at the end of the class gives her demo beads away! She's one very cool woman!
Old 2006-06-22, 6:32pm
Anna Duhame

David, you are very welcome! Thank YOU for the compliment!