Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2005-11-12, 7:04pm

Default boro boro boo

Hi All, I have just started trying to make some headway with boro. Right this minute there is a little sea dragon and a bead from Momkas silver iris in the kiln... doing Nothing , nada, nix. it is staying a light (boring) opaly cleary tan. I have tried it at 1050 for 30 mins, then 1175 for 30 min, now Im letting it ramp down. What is the secret? Any thoughts?
Thanks Saxon.
Old 2005-11-12, 9:03pm
ManBearPig

I would try flame striking it prior to putting it into the kiln. Work the bead until you are done, then take it out of the flame and let it cool for 30 seconds or so. Then, bring it into the back of the flame (out near the tip) and it should strike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-11-14, 11:33am
Flameworker

Yes, that's what I would have suggested too. The silver Iris has just a hint of silver so the striking wont be that dramatic. But it should be a light transparent purple not tan???? Are you sure it's Silver Iris?
Old 2005-11-14, 4:25pm

yes, at least thats what I ordered from ABR and thats what the bundle said. . I just put a test piece in the kiln w other colors as well to see what happens at 2000.
S
Old 2005-11-16, 11:46am

This brings up an interesting question for me. When I start doing boro, what temp should my kiln be at when I finsh a bead or marble and how should I ramp it down?
Old 2005-11-16, 11:57am
ManBearPig

It depends on the color and size. Certain colors like different kiln temps. Some kiln-striking reds, for example, need about 1050 to develop color. Some colors need 1150-1175 to develop. Some go in at 1000. The larger the piece, the longer it needs to stay in the kiln. I know some marble makers that make 3" and larger marbles, and they leave them in the kiln for up to 24 hours.

I would get a copy of Boro Bead Magic by Doug Remschneider. He goes pretty deeply into striking colors both in the flame and in the kiln, and tells you kiln settings to get specific colors.

Old 2005-11-17, 5:28pm
Save the Numbats

Silver Iris and Violet Iris don't have very much silver. Also, there has been MUCH confusion on these colors...
Violet Iris is supposed to have a trace of silver, Silver Iris, substantially more. I got a sample of Violet Iris and liked it. I wanted to try Silver Iris, but it wasn't in my sample pack. Momkas sent me another Violet Iris, but no Silver, with my next sample pack, and they owed me a small refund anyway so I called and talked to Sabina, and I was sent two pieces of Silver Iris. ... I thought? it was just like the Violet Iris. I called Sabina and she said there may have been a labeling problem (don't get me started on the labeling confusion between Carribean Coral and American Beauty).
So, I thought, I know I'm going to like Silver Iris. I ordered a pound from Generations Glass. I cannot detect any silver! It's just like the Violet Iris... but more BUBBLY!!! AAAGH! I'd try a different color. If you're expecting to get striking action, you won't get it from Momka Iris.

Anyway, the kiln question... I leave my kiln at 1070 all day. It's an AIM 99LS, so it's not actually 1070 in the front... it's more like 950-1000 by the door. So I leave most of my stuff a few inches in and then push them all back at night, soak for an hour or two, ramp to 950 over 1 hour (at least), soak 20 min, ramp to 650 and shut off. You don't really need to get over 1075 to strike your colors unless you really want. 1100-1200 can make some colors look good, but it can cause a problem with some colors, such as sparkles, so I don't go over 1090.
Old 2005-11-18, 5:23am
boro color bender

Try amber purple and double amber purple to get striking down. Work it hot and make it transparent. Let it cool below glowing before you put it in the kiln at about 1075. It will strike beautifully.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley