LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-10-11, 9:03am
daughter and I

awesome Candice! You might have 2 tutorials, one for just the ornaments and then another with both.

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2008-10-11, 10:02am
No Problem!

Lauscha tubing (especially the striped variety) is the deluxe soft-glass option for ornaments IMO.. I wish I had some for this season as it's quite nice to work with.
I've been working on some boro ornaments and the color palate is just not the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Beau & Shani)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-11, 5:25pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Beau,

I'm with you on liking the color palette of soft glass better. I have not had a chance to try the lauscha tubiing yet.. its on my to do list for the near future.

I learned on soft glas, and used rods imported form germany over 30 years ago. The man I apprenticed undr has passed, and the old yummy glass, that was so soft and spread so nicely is long gone. I am still learning the ways of bullseye, but many of the colors are much stiffer than the old glass I loved so much. I am hoping the lauscha and moretti will feel much more like the old stuff.. we shall see.

I am also shifting to an oxygen torch for the soft glass. I learned on 7 point crossfires using propane and forced air.

But first.. this tutorial......

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-10-11, 5:37pm
No Problem!

I had a sort of apprenticeship with German trained lampworkers we worked mostly boro but the father introduced me to the lauscha tubing and twisted cane. Blown lauscha ornaments are/were quite a staple for the German lampworkers.
I think you'll like find the lauscha a bit more like what you're used to, it's probably what you were using if it came from Germany.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-10-11, 6:57pm
giggety-giggety

I can order from Midwest Sign. We place a weekly order for our sign shop. If I place the order by 2 pm I get it delivered the next day.

Candice your ornaments are beyond beautiful. I've never made one but was thinking about taking a class at The Vinery in Madison Wisconsin. I think the class for their ornaments are simple but beautiful round balls.

The largest tubing I use for my neon signs is 15mm but I otherwise stock (in clear) 9mm, 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 13mm and 15mm. I buy it by the pound and you're right, it's cheap. If memory serves me correctly you get 2.1 (four foot tubes) per pound of the 15mm. I have a chart somewhere that tells you how many tubes on average per pound you get based on the tubing mm. I've been doing neon for so long I don't even look at the catalog, I just call them up and tell them what I need. All tubing is sold in 4 foot lengths with exception to the accuwall tubing which is 5 foot in length and is sold per stick (it's a lot more expensive than clear). The clear tubing I use is manufactured by Voltarc or EGL-I wonder what coe they are...

How long of a piece of tubing would you need to start each ornament?

I can't wait for your tutorial-just sent you an email requesting I be put on the notification list.

My etsy:

Old 2008-10-12, 6:07am
Run Free Sweet Boy

HI Beth,

I made neon for oh about 25 years. I remember when every sign shop had thier own neon plant, girls were not allowed, and wholesale shops were unheard of.

Well, out of the 18 and 25mm sizes you will get about 8 round balls per tube. for the longer ornaments you will ned a 5 or 6 inch section between the points you pull.If you have a 5 or 7 point cross fire, for your neon shop, you may find the soft glass ornaments easy to make there. You can also cheat and pull points over your ribbon burner, But I still get the most even heat in the torch. I went to a local neon shop for some tubing last week( first time in years) and made a small ornament on thier "knife" fires using 15mm,,, the fish tail type heads. Got offered a cold cathode job while I was there too.

note... I was sort of amazed, when walked in the door of the shop.. a neon plant has a certain smell, so do hot shops. It may be the years of spent fuel smell, I dunno, but boy did it bring back memories. I really miss doing neon. It is a fun job, and it paid the bills for all the art stuff.

Candice

Old 2008-10-12, 7:13am
The Torch Be With You

Hi Candice!

I just wanted to say Thank you! Thank you! I've contacted a local sign maker and he can order me the tubes and he offered to get me a case of color scrap glass tubes also. He will be calling me on Monday with prices for the case of "sticks". I just wanted to thank you for giving me the detailed info I needed to track this down. Can't wait to get your tutorial!
Old 2008-10-12, 8:04am
Rose colored glasses…√

I'll be stalking also. Of course I was wanting to make teeny earring sized ornaments.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-10-12, 3:43pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I'll be stalking also. Of course I was wanting to make teeny earring sized ornaments.
Gads, what an adorable idea!!!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-10-12, 3:55pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

HI,

I am furiously working on the ornament tut. Its looking like it will be closer to an e book. Each item will have from 20-30 pics plus text. I am hoping to get 4 styles of ornaments and 4 styles of icicles into this thing.

I ran into major obstacles with trying to put pics and text together today, and have called in reinforcements. A good friend in atlanta owned an ad agancy for years in australia, and knows the software like the back of her hand. I am busy sending pics and text off to her to begin working on. She figures about 2 weeks to finish it all on her end. So, looks like I will be pretty close to on schedule for releasing this tutorial.

Since the file will be such a whopper I am considering breaking it up into 2 tutorials. One for ornaments and one for icicles, and a deal if you get both.

I would love some feedback on this..... The icicles would be easy stuff, but the blown work is much harder to master. So, what would you want?

just the icicles
just the ornaments
or both?

Candice

Old 2008-10-12, 4:02pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I personally would prefer both . I don't think icicles on their own are enough for me to justify purchasing a tutorial, but would love to have it along with the ornaments!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-12, 4:10pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Beth, I just re read your post from earlier. I make a lot of my long ornaments out of 15mm clear. I used to save all my scrap glass( from neon) that was about a foot long for making ornaments. I would seal the ends together and then pull a point where I had sealed it. That left me enough of a handle to be able to pull a point from the other side and not fry my fingers.

I tend to use every bit of tubing... so even on the bigger size tubing, when they get to short to pull a point on the rmeaining end, I seal them together and pull a point out over the glass I sealed. Hope that made sense. So, start saving...

and all neon sign tubing is 90 coe.

I really like the technolux barium strontium glass that they make for neon. Its less shocky than the lead glass, and doesnt turn black on you either. They have some yummy colors too, and it comes in up to 18 and 25 mm if I recall correctly. The bigger sizes have to be special ordered. Another thing on my list to give a try... funds and time being the limiting facors at the moment. Red tubing has a tendency to "liver out" basically turn a yucky color when blown.. but have not tried the technolux red in blown work yet.

and since you do neon.. this is totaly off topic... I have some old cobalt blue and ruby red tubing in 10mm from the 50s. Its not a soda lime glass like the colors thes days, its a lead based glass and is butter soft and yummy just like bending clear tube. I also have some of the old black out glas. back in the days before they had block out paint they used to splice in an opaque black glass.

If you ever find yourself down my way, orlando, let me know, we can play.

Candice

Old 2008-10-12, 4:14pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Chrissi,

Hopefully I will get an ornament in the tutorial thats done with frits and makes a darling necklace size ornament. I like to use the reichenbach gold reduction glass in powder form for those.. adorable.. I string them on a pretty christmas ribbon. Wish I could find my stash of that reichenbach...

Candice

Old 2008-10-12, 4:29pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Which Reichenbach is it you need? I can check and see if I have it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-12, 4:34pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

its the gold reduction powdered glass they use in a hot shop for furnace glass... its not 104.. I can get it from spruce pine batch if I have to.....

Candice

Old 2008-10-12, 4:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Which one is it? Iris Gold?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-10-12, 4:59pm
Oh No You Didn't!

I'll be watching for this too!

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-10-12, 5:44pm
The Torch Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post
HI,

I am furiously working on the ornament tut. Its looking like it will be closer to an e book. Each item will have from 20-30 pics plus text. I am hoping to get 4 styles of ornaments and 4 styles of icicles into this thing.

I ran into major obstacles with trying to put pics and text together today, and have called in reinforcements. A good friend in atlanta owned an ad agancy for years in australia, and knows the software like the back of her hand. I am busy sending pics and text off to her to begin working on. She figures about 2 weeks to finish it all on her end. So, looks like I will be pretty close to on schedule for releasing this tutorial.

Since the file will be such a whopper I am considering breaking it up into 2 tutorials. One for ornaments and one for icicles, and a deal if you get both.

I would love some feedback on this..... The icicles would be easy stuff, but the blown work is much harder to master. So, what would you want?

just the icicles
just the ornaments
or both?

Candice
Definitely the ornaments. The icicles would be an added bonus!
Just my .02
Old 2008-10-12, 6:54pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Squid,

The last time I bought that glass was over 10 years ago.. I have no clue..... But it turns a nice deep gold when you reduce it. I really need to get my old pics off of floppies and into this computer, so I could show ya. But right now I have been hacking at this tutorial for about 13 hours straight.... I am fried and I am going to bed.....

the glass sort of looks like baby shit yellow until its rduced if that helps.....

Candice

Old 2008-10-12, 9:20pm
I speak Murrini!

Default 104 COE Users...LOOKIE, LOOKIE!!!

I have a current link for some nice 104 tube that's currently available through Moretti & More...Bill Thornton!!! Check it out...nice colors for X-mas, for sure...

I'm hoping I can ask Candice to check this out and tell us whether this is what might be a good tube to buy for her upcoming tut - wink! I'm trying to keep myself from rushing into buying - to spare myself ending up with the WRONG THING! But since I work only in 104, I thought this might work out great!

I DO wish there was some clear (only clear!) there, but I'm ready to take what I can get! In addition, I don't know if anyone would consider going in on these with me...I'm not sure I want a 1/4 lb. of each, but maybe someone would like to split some with me! I'm seriously considering the WHITE, for sure, and probably a little of the other colors...

Feedback please!!! Check it out:

http://www.morettiandmore.com/index....x&cPath=13_123

De

Old 2008-10-12, 9:56pm
No Problem!

10-12mm is on the small side for ornaments, maybe they're thinking blown beads? It'd be nice if they had something like 20mm at least.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-10-12, 10:37pm
Oh No You Didn't!

You can get Lauscha tubing at C&R Loo

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-10-13, 6:25am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Hi,

The tubing size is really small, deb is right C&R Loo has bigger stuff. If I could only afford one size, go with 18mm-20mm.

back to working on the tut.....I am such a slave driver....

Candice

Old 2008-10-13, 6:46am
Run Free Sweet Boy

ok ok.. real quick.. a list of materials you can use

icicles... 8-10 mm clear rod and an asortment of colors COE of your choice but I suggest boro for these. tools needed will be graphite rod and mashers

soft glass ornaments 90 coe- lead glass tubing available through sign suppliers. bullseye colored rod and frits, thompson enamels 90 coe, furnace glass frits and powders.

I have not used the lauscha tubing yet, but thats 104 and you should be able to use 104 rods and frits with that with no problem.

Boro- clear tubing and colored rods and frits all in the same coe.

TUBING SIZES

tubing sizes mini ornaments- 10 mm soft glass neon tubing and matching frits and powders, and 10 mm ornament caps. I am hoping t get this in the tut, but not sure yet.

round ornaments 18-25 mm tube in soft glass, in boro same size in standard wall or aprox 16 mm in med wall.

med ornament same as above

long ornament- 18-20 mm standard wall tube in clear boro or the 12mm- 16mm med wall. soft glass either 15 or 18 mm sign tubing, or similar in lauscha.

tools needed for blown work - graphite rod, glass file( I am old school and use a glass file), or one of the new fangled rod and tubing cutters, shallow dishes for frits and powders and lots of patience.

Candice

Old 2008-10-13, 8:14am
I speak Murrini!

Candice: Thanks for all the feedback and the head's up on what to start assembling to be ready when your tutorial "premieres"!!!

I think, since I work very small anyway, the 8-10mm Lauscha rod will work well for me - I'm just hoping to find a source for 104 clear tube (8-10mm or so) if at all possible that I don't have to buy a ton of before you're ready!

Thanks again,
DeAnne

Last edited by theglasszone; 2008-10-13 at 8:54am.
Old 2008-10-13, 9:22am
Hole Challenged

I'm really excited about this tutorial! I just called BE Connection and verified the Schott's tubing I bought from them years ago is 90coe. Now I wish I had bought more than 5 tubes! These are 24-26mm so they should work great for the round ornaments.

Old 2008-10-13, 9:58am
Dead man walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingBeau View Post
Lauscha tubing (especially the striped variety) is the deluxe soft-glass option for ornaments IMO.. I wish I had some for this season as it's quite nice to work with.
I've been working on some boro ornaments and the color palate is just not the same.
I agree in most cases, so I started blasting my ornaments and then painting them with oil paints. They practically glow and I can mix whatever colors I want. Anyway, it's another option.
Old 2008-10-13, 10:20am
No Problem!

Nice, makes me think of Robert Mickelsen's pieces.. Seems like an airbrush would be cool to use for some neat gradient/fade effects.. Is that what you use?

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2008-10-13, 1:05pm

Can you make your own tubing from Moretti? That's what I did. I also did the same with boro and got a nice round ball but I am having trouble with getting a nice neck. If I pull from the pipe too soon then the top goes oblong. Another time I didn't keep it hot enough and the shock broke it off the tube - what a mess! Any suggestions for a nice neck?

Old 2008-10-13, 3:02pm
Dead man walking

Yeah Beau, you could use an airbrush, but I don't have the skill for it. I just use a paper towel and a dab of color then work it into the glass. To get gradients I just blend in the color changes with each other. It' doesn't take much paint, just a dab goes a long way.