LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-01-25, 11:28am

Default End caps

Anyone have a good source for end caps?.....They are not easy to find.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-01-26, 6:38am

I buy all mine from Bamiyan but they are in Toronto....(I can almost never get the same thing twice though!) However I think Rio has some too though!

Lynne
www.fireballbeads.com
Old 2007-03-19, 8:25am

I just added some pictures, hope this will help!

edit - oops, I'll add them here, too - sorry for the confusion! This is to show you how to go through the 2nd round once you've established your base. This is where you will thread your wire through and the direction. Right to left. I keep an old pointy tool on hand to help open when needed and to tug things back into alignment. I don't use a spool, just a little allen wrench. Some people prefer to use a pencil, since it's already segmented.
Attached Images

Last edited by ChristyPhelps; 2007-03-20 at 11:32am.
Old 2007-03-20, 9:12am
Formerly known as weasel

Christy, where did you add the pictures? I have wire, chrochet hook and drawplate, but no spool. Dang and I wanted to do this like right now!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-03-20, 9:24am
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsey View Post
Christy, where did you add the pictures? I have wire, chrochet hook and drawplate, but no spool. Dang and I wanted to do this like right now!
Ditch the hook and you don't need a spool - got a pencil (ogtagonal kind) or an allen wrench (I think that's what they are called)?? Christy's pictures are in the post from 2005-10-24 12:09pm...not sure what number it is and not going back to find out

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2007-03-20, 1:37pm

I don't use either the spool or the allen use either the spool or an allen wrench... I just go round.. works fine with nothing! Ans I can add stitches and take away stitches since I'm not working over something!

Lynne
Old 2007-03-22, 7:28am

For those who need to SEE it (like I did) this is an episode of Knitty Gritty with Nancy Wiseman:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_kni...177158,00.html

click on the video link the under picture of the finished piece to see how it's done. sorry about the advertising ... you can't ff to bypass.

S
Old 2007-09-03, 9:35am
Noobie

Hi, I was ready to purchase everything I thought I would need from here to learn the viking knit w/ wire

http://www.beadeckedonline.com/catal...products_id=28

but when I had emailed to inquire about it, this is the response I had got

Hi Cherie -
This is not viking knit. It looks much the same but is a completely
different process. I didn't want you to buy this and then be disappointed.

This is spool knitting - a fiber technique that was created in Scandinavia
in the 10th century for making cords and braids. It is great fun! I find
that beginners are most comfortable working on the 3-pin spool to get the
feel of the technique and the tension needed. You can use that size spool
for everything - necklace, bracelets, anklets, eyeglass leashes. . . so it
is very versatile.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Sharon Beadecked and Beaddicted

Now Im really confused on where/what book supplies I would need..any help would be apreeciated
Old 2007-09-04, 8:20am

I am not usually verbally impaired but I've looked at numerous sets of instructions and I still don't get how to start. I get as far as making the loops and bundling them but then it's not clear where to start the working wire at that point. I've read the instructions from the DIY site over several times and I still can't picture it. I need to SEE it.
Old 2007-09-04, 9:30am

This was posted recently on the Fine Art by Rocio site:

http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/vikingknitdirections.html

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2007-09-04, 11:08am
Damn Frit Bitch

Those instructions (Rocio) are exactly like the ones from my class in Beadfest Phili (the technique anyway, the drawings/pictures are not the same). It's easy and makes a fabulous chain! The caps/cones are the killer. Where can we get some?!
Susan
Old 2007-09-04, 11:12am
Meow.

I get my caps from a fellow lampworker, www.heatherferman.com. I have priced them everywhere and hers are very reasonable and my personal favorite.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2007-09-04, 11:58am
Covered in glitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabella View Post
For those who need to SEE it (like I did) this is an episode of Knitty Gritty with Nancy Wiseman:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_kni...177158,00.html

click on the video link the under picture of the finished piece to see how it's done. sorry about the advertising ... you can't ff to bypass.

S
I didn't like her directions. Maybe becaue it was just kind of backwards as to how I do it. I do 5 loops not 4 and I also do it on a dowel which is in my hand, not on a vice. I think it's easier that way.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-09-04, 12:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarus View Post
This was posted recently on the Fine Art by Rocio site:

http://www.fineartbyrocio.com/vikingknitdirections.html

-Diane
This site was very helpful - although he leaves out a few details such as the gauge of wire needed and how big to make the holes in the drawplate.
Old 2007-09-04, 4:58pm
Dangerous Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
This site was very helpful - although he leaves out a few details such as the gauge of wire needed and how big to make the holes in the drawplate.

Yes Yes Yes!!!!! How big are the holes in the draw plate? What gage wire should you use? How long of a piece of wire do you start with?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-09-04, 5:20pm
Meow.

*I* typically use 24 gauge...but that's not mandatory...as far as the size of the holes in the drawplate - I bought my drawpate, took the wasy way out. But I imagine if you were to make your own you could just make several sizes varying by about .25 mm. Start with the largest hole and work your way down to whatever size tickles your fancy.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2008-11-25, 6:24pm
Lover of Life

I just put a few holes in my drawplate from the few drill bits I could find (time to clean the garage!). My smallest one must have been about 4mm because that's the size of my finished piece. That was single stitch with 26 g wire. I'm going to try some 22 g next, for a thicker result.
Becky

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2008-11-29, 5:48pm

I have a piece of chain that I haven't drawn down yet because I'm wondering if it will really be twice as long? I did the double stitch and it's sort of tight. Any insights?

I'm just a scardy cat!

Mary
Old 2008-11-29, 6:43pm

That's funny, Mary! I was scared too. Just do it:< )
Old 2008-12-01, 1:22am

Default My first Viking Knit Bracelet

I'm a newbie but I am very excited today because I completed my first viking knit single weave chain. I love the look. I used 6 loops and 26g wire to weave. I weaved ~3.375" and after pulling through the draw plate had over 6.5". After I added my handmade finding, (I hope get endcaps soon), the finished bracelet is too long, 9 inches end-to-end. I added some lampwork beads I got from monalamprwork and Laney's Beads.

Any tips on judging weave length vs. draw length? Does different wire guages produce different lengths when drawn. How do you correct the length to the size you desire. I added wire but didn't feel very confident about my method. Any suggestions on adding wire.

I know there are many experts on this forum. I have read all of them but would love any advice and/or feedback.

FYI: I got the draw plate and tubing from LE member beadcrazy.

Here are some photos of my finished work.
Name:  IMG_3964.jpg
Views: 2996
Size:  21.0 KB
Name:  IMG_3972.jpg
Views: 2909
Size:  14.7 KB
Old 2008-12-01, 4:49am

Hi, I am also having trouble withthe double.. I get the fact you go up 2 rungs of the ladder...but, then you weave around one round on the double and then go back down and weave another of your first? Then go back up and weave a round of the double? I got all messed up doing it. It never sunk in and I kept skipping spots. I resorted to completing my single then going back and completely doing the double on top of the single. It worked and I did not skip any spots.

My question is about the end cap. Where are you getting the end caps to fit? I want the ones with the hole in the top, not the loop.
Thanks, Mimi
Old 2008-12-01, 4:58am

After you draw down your chain you can cut it to length, before finishing the ends. gayle
Old 2008-12-01, 5:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle janczarek View Post
After you draw down your chain you can cut it to length, before finishing the ends. gayle
Gayle, do I cut at a certain place in the chain to prevent the chain from unraveling? Will I lose much of the chain if I cut it? I have heard people say they make a long piece, use draw plate and cut off various lengths. I was much to intimidated to try that. I'd like to cut down the bracelet I just posted but was afraid to mess it up. Will I still have loops to gather with another piece of wire to finish off chain neatly?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacwind View Post
Hi, I am also having trouble withthe double.. I get the fact you go up 2 rungs of the ladder...but, then you weave around one round on the double and then go back down and weave another of your first? Then go back up and weave a round of the double? I got all messed up doing it. It never sunk in and I kept skipping spots. I resorted to completing my single then going back and completely doing the double on top of the single. It worked and I did not skip any spots.

My question is about the end cap. Where are you getting the end caps to fit? I want the ones with the hole in the top, not the loop.
Thanks, Mimi
Today I did a double weave (I'm still working on it). I first did 4 rows of single weave then started a double weave on the fifth row. It's a little tighter at first but I used an awl to get under hard spots. A double was just putting the wire behind the second loop up vs. the first one. You just keep going to the second row up. No more first row.

Davabeads has the sterling beadcaps for wholesale accounts and a fellow LE member Heather has sterling and other metals. Check the forum, I know Heather's website is listed and so is DavasBeads. Rio has some but they are not as nice.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by fullajoyy; 2008-12-01 at 6:00pm. Reason: Added response
Old 2008-12-01, 11:15pm
Lover of Life

fullajoy, your first viking knit is gorgeous! Love it in copper! I made my first the other day, in single stitch. I made two pieces and used wire-wrapped (gotta change that!) end caps too. I'll attach a pic. Can you tell me the finished diameter of yours?

As for cutting it, it shouldn't unravel, just grab the very end and wrap it tightly around another of the wires. It will be covered up by a cap.

I'd love to see more of anyone's VK, esp. double knit and any other more intricate types.

Becky

Old 2008-12-02, 8:48am

I made this double stitch with 24g sterling wire. My peice was about 9.5" and after drawing it down it was 17". I like the look of the double stitch. I ran an 18g wire thru the entire piece. My bead in the center is made with various silver glass and then .999 silver accents. The second bracelet is made with raku on moretti red purple.
Kris

mini cc, ng, & 2 concentrators
Old 2008-12-02, 11:12am

I have Rose Bronze, (perfect for copper) Brass, and sterling silver back in stock finally if anyone needs caps. I know it is almost the holidays and I have been trying to get restocked since Sept.

http://shop.heatherferman.com/category.sc?categoryId=10

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2008-12-02, 7:54pm
Lover of Life

Those are super bracelets, Kris! Can I ask what diameter they turn out to be?

Becky

Old 2008-12-03, 8:24pm

Becky,
They are packed up for a show tomorrow, so can't do it tonight. I still have a small piece of the vk left and will measure that tomorrow when I get home. I think you want to know the diameter of the knit piece, right?
Kris

Old 2008-12-04, 9:01am
Meow.

Something to thing about -- I weave as much wire as I can handle at a time - always at least an oz...and cut off sections based on how much I need. How much your chain will 'grow' once you draw depends on several things. The density of the chain (which is based on the weave, how tight you wove, the gauge and the number of loops) as well how far down you draw it.

As far as cutting the piece. Cut anywhere - you'll lose very little wire, I just take pliers and gently pull out the loose pieces from the cut - then I have my loops at the cut end, just as if I had ended it there normally.

The last time I did Viking Knit I'd say I had at least 3-4 feet...and I'm still working with that to create finished pieces as needed

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2008-12-04, 4:56pm

The viking knit in my bracelets is .23" (almost 1/4") wide. Hope this info helps. The bracelets were a big hit at the show today.
Kris