Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-10-15, 11:02am
I'm cookin' with gas now!

Question Why do some vent systems have sides?

I have looked at many studios and wandered, why do some vent hoods or set ups have sides, (ex. plexiglass on 2 or 3 sides) and some don't. Which is better a hood or a just a pipe over or in front of you?
Thanks in advance! Vickie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just happy to be here!
Old 2006-10-15, 12:21pm
The Venerable Bead

the box around the hood maximizes the strength of the fan and helps direct the torch and glass byproducts directly up and out. I work in my beasement and I work with boro so I had a metal box fabricated to go around my hood and down to the bench and I have a plexiglass front that comes down halfway to the torch. I feel this setup maximizes my hood and helps prevent the byproducts from going upstairs as well as out the vent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-10-15, 12:24pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Having sides is really the best way. I have read MANY threads on LE and what Paula said reiterates that.

I was going to add some sort of metal sides to mine and now I have decided to go with plexiglass. I wasn't looking forward to feeling boxed in. Now that I've seen others use plexi, I am a more excited to put sides up.

Old 2006-10-15, 2:00pm
Dichro Addict

A hood with baffles or a box setup is the best way to go. The pipe setup can't catch all of the fumes.

Old 2006-10-15, 2:12pm
Looking for my waistline

If you box in the sides of your torch area, the air in front of the torch (where the fumes are) is the only air being drawn up into the vent. That keeps the bad air flowing up and away from your face and the good air pulling in from behind keeping the air you breath as fresh as possible.
Old 2006-10-15, 6:27pm
The Venerable Bead

I got a few PM's asking if I would post pictures of my setup so here it is in all it's messy glory. It's nothing special but it's all mine.
Attached Images

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-10-15, 9:08pm
Corgi Cult Member

The side baffles make me feel more cozy than closed in. Not only do they direct the airflow, I like how they keep the surrounding area fireproofed from flying glass. I can keep things just on the other side of the wall and still easily reach them. Great place for your lighter if you use one.

Sheet aluminum is pretty cheap at home improvement stores. Think maybe $7 for a 24"x36" sheet. Think mine took three.
Kathy

Old 2006-10-16, 4:23pm
I'm cookin' with gas now!

Wow, Paula, Chuckie, Lenora, Deb and Kathy thanks...great information and can't tell you all how much I appreciate it! I sent all the info on to "my vent guy" I know he will appreaciate it also. I'm so close now can't wait!
You people ROCK! Vickie

Just happy to be here!