Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2012-03-09, 8:04pm

Default Ventilation cost

I searched the forum and didn't find anything so I have to ask. About how much do most people have invested in their ventilation system. I found a 36" range hood rated at 870 cfm for $399. I believe this will be adequate but wasn't sure if I was in the right ballpark as far as cost is concerned. Any advice,suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.
Old 2012-03-09, 9:33pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Ummm... That is sort of like the question "how high is up?"....

Cost vary from free to several thousand dollars.... People that are good at scrounging used parts and adapting "found" items may only spend a few dollars to achieve reasonably safe ventilation, others with designer intentions in mind and can afford engineered system and for one where money is not a determining criteria it could be several thousand dollars...

A 870 CFM system for $400 (off the shelf price) is probable a decently priced system... IF the hood specification are to be believed and you are comfortable that it will do what you want, then prices is probably reasonable....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2012-03-10 at 8:07am.
Old 2012-03-10, 3:13am

Thanks Dale for your help on this one. I am still trying to confirm the 870 cfm the manufacturer claims. I also want to say thanks for all the great information you have provided on this topic it was very educational.

Jim
Old 2012-03-10, 9:55am
Curmudgeon Engineering

If the women don't find you handy at least they should find you RICH!
LOL
Old 2012-03-10, 11:12am

You're RICH?? Geez, I didn't realize...
Old 2012-03-10, 4:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
If the women don't find you handy at least they should find you RICH!
LOL
Not quite sure how to interpret this comment but will assume positive intent
Old 2012-03-11, 10:27am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Nothing derogatory. Just that there are a lot of people out there who do not have the resources to put together a vent system on their own or do not have the time to devote to doing it so they must pay to have it done. More an observation on Dale's post than on your's.
Old 2012-03-11, 5:20pm

After a year being without a torch (we moved and i had to get a new system) today i spent $560 to have an hvac install my inline fan (used $80) and used steel hood $20. Now i gotta get the gas guy back (we got gas installed in our garage for $100) to get a longer hose. I figure by the time Im done it will have cost me about $1000. And Im super CHEAP so this was hard, but i so miss my hobby. I cant wait to torch again - maybe tmrw and then I'll post some pics pics. Last time i had a wooden box with a fan in the back (it worked, but wasnt very fancy) Now that i know i love this (been doing it for 4 years) i am comfortable investing into my hobby.

Became addicted on HH June 07
graduated to Minor Jan 08
Oxy Con & Natural Gas (frustrating but now great!)
Old 2012-03-11, 5:41pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

I use 8" inline duct boosters from Home Depot online. (They add 500 cfm to the ducts when there is air already flowing.) So I have two, and this works really well. (I've tested it with smoke and single ply tissue.) They are $30 each.

I then use 8" ducting both smooth and corrugated, this was another $150 ish.

Then I had to buy a few miscellaneous things like a switch to turn it on, and screws, and wire to hang it. Another $50.

I love this setup because it was easy to install, I did it myself. And the flame is aimed directly into the duct. I can't smell a thing. I use shower caps to cover the ends when I am not using them so the cold air from outside does not come in.

Total $200-250.

Old 2012-04-03, 6:58am

Default tonips

Christina, your setup sounds very interesting and reasonable. Do you by chance have a photo of your installation? Since I'm trying to set up a studio in an 8 x 10 vendor trailer, it doesn't sound like it's too large.

Many thanks.
Old 2012-04-03, 9:28am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Designed my own hood and had it fabricated by loccal sheet metal shop for $180.00
Got free 3 speed fan from local HAVC shop.
Misc. wireing and switches etc for about $20.00
Plywood for plenum about $10 worth from my scrap pile.
Sweat equity about $50.00

On speed 3 it will make your hair stream into the air flow big time. Completely clears the studio of smoke from far corners in about 12 seconds. Studio is 12 x 24 feet.