Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-09-18, 5:12am

Default New camera<-- just decided!

I have decided to move up to a Nikon D80. These are available all over, but I also want (actually more than I want the camera!) the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX (Dig all those mysterious initials! It must be great!) Zoom-Nikkor Lens. For which (unfortunately) there is a waiting list here in this town.

It's expected December 2006 but may come slightly sooner.

This lens is supposed to be the bomb of all bombs. I am deciding whether I ought to go for the body and a cheesy lens now or wait for the good lens.

I love my Coolpix 8700, so there is no rush.

(sigh)

I love new toys!!

Jan
Old 2006-09-18, 9:05am
Have Laptop Will Travel

Awesome combination Jan !!. But you are right its the lens that makes me drool. A swiss army knife if there ever was one. From all the reviews I've read it will eliminate the need to carry a whole bunch of other lens when you travel. God I've got to start making more money. Too many new toys out there to play with and not enough cash... Damn
One question though. Can't you find it and the camera on the web with better prices instead of having to wait for it??
Old 2006-09-19, 5:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnbresn
One question though. Can't you find it and the camera on the web with better prices instead of having to wait for it??
Annoyingly enough, no. Dang! My local camera store (which is the biggest in the DC metro area and has four stores here in town) gives the same discounts as the "big boys" on the web, so I get no price breaks by going online. Plus they have the D80 in stock.

But as to getting delivery of the lens earlier that December, I wonder! I am going to prod and push. The guys at the store say that they have "several hundred" on their store waiting list for that lens. That may impress Nikon enough to induce special consideration.

But as I say, I love my 8700, so there is no burning all-consuming desire to get the lens (oh, yeah, and the camera to hold it ...) now now now now immediately.

But you are totally right --> so many toys! So little time and money! [chuckle]

Jan
Old 2006-09-19, 5:39am
I'm a lilac!

I've had the best experiences with Nikons, and now I am having MAJOR camera envy! <DROOOL>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-09-19, 6:29pm

Hey, K.! Don't envy me yet! I'm still noodling it over. Here is the review of that lens that convinced me: http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm. I put myself on the waiting list this evening. I am, like, number 457 or something on the list. [chuckle]

And while at the camera store (on the way home) I held the D80. Sweeeeeeeeet.

I have an utterly irrational brand loyalty to Nikon. I wouldn't even consider buying another brand. Totally irrational and mindless loyalty. I love them. Had a Kodak Brownie camera back in the '50's but Nikons ever since.

I may go for the Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G DX, on the D80, to tide me over to when the big lens is available.

Hummmm!

Jan
Old 2006-09-20, 11:05pm

Hey Jan! You will love this camera!!! We both bought the D200's and they are sooooooooo awesome! You can get the camera with the lens at B and H photo!

I am on a wait list for the lens! Can't wait!!!!!
take care,
Andrea

Old 2006-09-21, 2:12am
Entropy increasing....

I need that zoom. There be whales here.
Old 2006-09-21, 5:29am

Andrea, I looked closely at the D200 but decided that the D80 beat it in the "feel-good-on-the-hand" factor. The D80 is a little cozy sweetie-pie!

Like you, I also heard that the D200 kit included that heavenly 18-200mm lens! You didn't get the kit and now you are on a waiting list like the rest of us??!! Heck, I was going to quiz you and Whit on how you liked that lens, on the assumption that you got it in your D200 kit. Dang!

Here is the latest from the camera shop here in town: "We have a waiting list company-wide of approximately 300 names for that lens. Pre-paid orders get filled first, which constitute about 60 or so at this moment. Even pre-paid orders are taking on the order of 4 to 6 weeks to fill."

I'm deciding if I want to park $700 with them for two months in order to get on the waiting list. Hmmmmm.

What lens do you and Whit use for your bead photos? I also looked at the 17-55mm f/2.8, which is quite a wonderful lens as well. Is that the one he uses?

Kevan -- What makes that new tele good for whale watching is the vibration reduction feature. Pretty jazzy, eh?

JanMD
Old 2006-10-07, 8:38am

I've been looking at the D80 as well - with the 18 - 200. I have a question about taking bead pictures, though. Do you use the zoom instead of macro when you take your bead photos? I've been wondering if I'd need to find a macro lens as well.

I really want more telephoto for the other pictures I take, but I don't want to have a different camera for my bead pictures.

Thanks in advance for any advice.....
Old 2006-10-07, 6:11pm

I use the macro lens and set the camera manually to an aperature setting of 8. Make sure to set the white balance as well. This makes your picture darker but assures the photo will extend to 'infinity' and not make the back beads blurry. You will probably have to massage your picture a little with "Elements" or "Photoshop" to then lighten it up. If you set the camera to 'auto' and 'macro' then your front beads will be clear and sharp but the back beads will blur. Hope this helps. I love my F828 by Sony but am also thinking about the N70 or the D80 Nikon because of the SLR feature. Go for it!

Noël
Old 2006-10-07, 7:35pm

I use the macro or super macro on my current camera (Olympus C8080 wide zoom), but the Nikon 18-200 mm lens doesn't have a macro from what I can tell. I don't think you can get closer than 2 ft from your subject with it. I was wondering if I could just use the zoom instead instead of having to get a lens just for beads. I love the camera I have now but would like more zoom for the other pictures I take and it's not an SLR so it has a fixed lens. I could get an adapter and a telephoto lens but I'm not sure how good that setup is. The ability to have more zoom and have the flexibility of using different lenses is the reason that I was thinking of getting the D80.
Old 2006-10-07, 7:38pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

OMG - that's like a $1,000 camera! Do you know how much Kronos that
would buy?????????

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-10-07, 10:53pm
"....Oh Honey!"

I've been using a Nikon D50 w/ Nikkor 60mm lense. I'm very happy with the combo for bead pics.

Noel, thanks for the setting sprecifics re: white balance and aperature settings. I struggle with the depth of field. I switch back and forth between auto settings and manuel, then compare before deciding.

dvd now available

Old 2006-10-08, 1:05pm
A True Woofer

I use a D50 with a Nikkor 60 mm lens like Lauri. I use it almost completely manually; the only thing it does is autofocus. Then when I bring the photo to Photoshop, all I do is crop, resize and unsharp mask. I am loving this camera!

Old 2006-10-09, 4:09pm

<<< ... the Nikon 18-200 mm lens doesn't have a macro from what I can tell... >>> Kathy, you are correct! However, the minimum focus distance on that new lens is one and a half feet, which -- at over the ten mp that the D80 camera offers -- is plenty close enough for me to get decent pix.

But no need! My old AF Nikor 35-70mm/1:2.8 has a macro setting and works perfectly on the D80 body. So there you are! So I have the best of both worlds. The old outstanding quality and very fast medium zoom works perfectly with the brand spanking new digital body. Yipeeee!!!

I am very, very happy with my kit now. Every nickel was well-spent. The D80 is a gem! I don't even feel the need to move myself up on the waiting list for the new 18-200!

I am stalking good autumn out-in-the-country photo expeditions!

And I am also very much enjoying the advanced Photoshop class that I'm taking at the Smithsonian. Except for the homework (whew!) it's great fun too.

I am in camera heaven. [...sigh...]

Jan
Old 2006-10-09, 6:31pm
A True Woofer

OK so let's see some pics.

Old 2006-10-10, 5:00am

Aha! A challenge! Hmmmmm..... I assume you don't want to see cityscapes, interiors, still lifes, or landscapes. Well then, I am going to be taking pix of my beads over the next few days for submittal to Brad for the Bead Review (deadline is Monday), so if I have any prize-winners, I'll post 'em here too.

Jan
Old 2006-10-10, 5:08am
In search of her path....

ooooooo can i say that I have a lil jealously drool on my lip? lol

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-10-14, 7:42am

Default SLR camera

OK - so if I am in the market for a new camera (SLR) it sounds as if I should wait (and save some $$ up) for the Nikon D80 with the 18-200mm lens so that I can take close-up bead pix and scenery and telephoto?

Thanks for all the good info here!

Nancy
Beaver Island Jewelry
Old 2006-10-14, 7:49am

There are 27 of them up on Ebay right now...I didn't read each auction, but I don't think you would have to wait until December to get one of them.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...IF+AF-S+VR+DX+
Old 2006-10-15, 6:02am

Damnation! Where are those scamps getting the lenses? That's what I want to know. Thanks, Alaina! Now I can go back to the store and say 'Hey, guys! What gives!!??' Or I can go out to the nearest Rest Area on I-95 and watch for the guy with Jersey plates that's selling them out of the back of his pick-up truck. Cash only.

(sigh)

J
Old 2006-10-15, 6:12am

Nancy --- Don't wait!!! Get the D80 now, now, now! It is an outstanding little gem of a camera and there are plenty of new DX lenses that work wonderfully on it. In additon to the many old Nikor AF lenses that work just fine too. Do-not-wait. Get the camera right away.

Here are all the current "DX Nikkor Lenses for DX Format Digital SLRs":
12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
10.5mm f/2.8G ED AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor
18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor - NEW!
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
(http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5)

I bought the 12-24 zoom with the camera and have been having a marvy time with it. (I really enjoy wide angle.) The prices on all the lenses in the list vary quite a bit, so check Amazon and B&H. (Here is the price list for my local store: http://www.penncamera.com/store/bran...ARTMENT_ID=202 -- Look for the DX lenses.)

Also check with your local camera store to see if you can get the D80 as a kit, with a cheapie throw-in lens, just to get you started.

J

Last edited by JanMD; 2006-10-15 at 6:16am.
Old 2006-10-21, 12:12am

I just bought the Nikon D80 Kit (Nikon D80 Body+ Nikon AF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF ED DX)

I sold my D50 for a good price after I bought the D80. I couldn't wait anymore when I saw the D80 with the 18-135 kit lens. I was looking for that lens to go with my D50, but I couldn't resist the looks and performance of the D80.

Last weekend I took some pictures with it and they are awesome (I think).

|
Old 2006-10-22, 7:08am

Beautiful!! Beautiful!! The dog shot looks like it's just a few Photoshop steps away from a painting in a museum. What a masterful pose! (I love dogs!)

I was thinking of that 18-135mm lens as my "everyday" lens. How is it on length and weight? Would you recommend it?

Aint't the D80 a gem? (sigh)

JanMD
Old 2006-10-22, 7:54am

I use the 18-135 as my day tot day lens. At 135 mm the lens is approx. 15 cm long. The D80 and the 18-135 lens weight is 1114 gram. And yes the D80 is a gem.

One of my hobbies is breading Labrador Retrievers on a very small scale. The dog I took the picture of is now 2,5 years and next spring I hope to have a litter.

|
Old 2006-10-22, 6:17pm

Default I did it!

I bought the D80 yesterday. Instead of one of the kit lenses I got a Tamron 18-200. It's not as fast as the Nikkor, but I could take it on trial for a week and no one here has the Nikkor lenses either. Besides, the Tamron does have a macro feature. I figured that since my bead business is buying the camera, I really should be getting a good macro lens (probably the Nikkor 60mm) but I'm trying the Tamron for a week to see if that will work for both beads and nature. Took it out for a test drive today. I was just trying to get used to the features, see what it does for automatic exposure, etc, but so far I'm really thrilled. Here are a few shots - macro and telephot. We went to a place nearby where people kayak and surf. It was a lovely fall day with great light. Can't wait to see what I can do when I understand more about this camera. I think I'm in love
Attached Images

Old 2006-10-22, 6:20pm

And I meant to compliment you on your photos, Miriam! (got all caught up in myself for a minute, there!). I especially love the water on spiderwebs. Gorgeous
Old 2006-10-23, 10:30pm

Congratulations Kathy, you will love your camera. Your photo's are wonderfull. The photo of the berry is wonderfull, I love to get the dept in a picture and with this camera it is so much easier.

|
Old 2006-11-07, 12:11pm

Default D80

OMG - the photos shown with the Nikon D80 SLR are awsome. I'm still looking at cameras. Tomorrow I'm going to Chicago to visit my brother and will look in some camera stores there to see if I can actually hold a camera in my sweaty little hands.

The Nikon 18-200 mm lens aren't out yet? I haven't seen them in any of the NYC camera place web sites yet.....

I had a show the past weekend and it did go well moneywise so I'm saving up.

Nancy
Beaver Island Jewelry
Old 2006-11-08, 6:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Peterson
The Nikon 18-200 mm lens aren't out yet? I haven't seen them in any of the NYC camera place web sites yet.....
Depends on what you mean by "out". You see them on ebay, offered at fulll price (about $750) by sellers who have fewer than a dozen total transactions to their name. Well, well! Who are these obliging Mystery Folks and from whom are they getting the lenses?

Suffice it to say, I wouldn't take a $750 chance with them.

I continue to enjoy the heck out of the 12-24 lens that I bought with the camera and am not pining for the 18-200. Yet!! The VR ("vibration reduction") technology is very very intriguing. I enjoy this feature in a pair of binocs that I have and am looking forward to seeing how well it works in this lens.

Jan