Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-10-17, 12:17pm

Default Propane tank in the garage?

HELP!!!!!!!!!! OK, so I told my DH that the propane tank has to be outside and hosed into the basement where my set up is. Because I’ve been using the little camping propane tanks with my hothead torch inside to create. My DH seems to think that putting a propane tank in the garage and running a hose to my basement setup is safe and I’m being silly. (I even told him about a brilliant post I read about using a garbage can outside with holes and an electric blanket in the winter)
Am I wrong and just being silly? Could you please back me up and give me some reasons why it shouldn’t be in the garage?
Old 2006-10-17, 12:31pm
Safety ALWAYS

HELL NO. It is not safe at all. It has to be outside totally and completely.

National fire code states that you can keep no more than two (2) one pound cannisters of propane in your house at any given time.

If the garage is attached to the house, it is considered part of the house.

You probably have at least one car in the garage, a lawn mower, a can of gasoline etc etc etc. If the bbq tank leaks, you will destroy the house, the garage, and everything inside them.

Outside PLEASE!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-17, 12:38pm

The deal with propane in the garage is possible leaking, and fire (safety for the firemen). From everything I've read it is illegal in most areas. I'm not sure if most areas store their BBQ grills outside or what. I'd say what ever the law is for that storage might give your DH an idea of what to expect for your propane for glass.

If you are going to keep using it in the basement, I think you are supposed to run a solid pipe in so that time and maybe the elements don't wear at your flexible lines. I imagine someone will chime in with the real scoop.

Edit~ see someone did while my dial up was dragging along. There you have the scoop.
Old 2006-10-31, 9:33pm
Heart Of Glass Beads

A good friend of mine lost her house to a fire because of a propane tank in the garage. Please keep it outside!!

Carla

Shine-On Glow In The Dark Glass available in 104, 96, 90 COE. PM for Details
Old 2006-11-01, 8:16am
I poop flowers.

Hi everyone. I am new here, and new to lampworking as well. I have been reading through some threads, and am in the process of getting my garage set up to be my workshop, and now I`m worried about the propane situation.
I am just starting out, so I have the Hothead setup with a bottle of MAPP gas. I plan to torch with the garage door open, but in the winter when I can`t do that, I`m not sure what the plan will be next. I have seen the warnings about storing the tanks outside, and was wondering if that applies to the small bottles like I will be using, or just the larger tanks? We have no outdoor shed where we can store anything. Our garage is not heated, and in the winter we run a small electric heater there which does a pretty good job of heating the place. We have no lawn mower in there, or gas for one, and we don`t park in there. I am wondering what other dangers there could be to storing a bottle or 2 of gas in there. I have not decided what to do about ventilation in the winter, as there are no windows in the garage. I welcome any comments...
Old 2006-11-01, 8:41am
Safety ALWAYS

Good question! The outside only rule applies to "bulk" tanks ONLY. Not individual one or two pound tanks.

The NFPA rules call for a maximum of two (2) one pound cannisters in a residence at any particular point in time. Empties should be EMPTY - put your torch head on the tank and open it wide open and either burn off the remaining gas, or let it escape outside - and disposed of promptly. In some communities they are considered hazardous waste, so be sure to contact your waste hauler to find out for sure.

Ventilation during the winter is indeed difficult, but not impossible. You should be exhausting the fumes and replacing that air with fresh from the outside air - there are a number of ways to do that, and are in many of the threads in this sub forum. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask!

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2006-11-01, 9:09am
I poop flowers.

Thanks for the info! I forgot to mention that there is a ceiling fan in our garage, don`t know if that will help or hinder if turned on. If I use it, should I direct the air flow a certain way? I estimate the ceiling to be about 10' high, and the whole garage I would say is roughly 12'x20' maybe?
Old 2006-11-01, 9:21am
Safety ALWAYS

No - all a ceiling fan does is move air around (circulation), it doesn't exhaust air.

Old 2006-11-01, 11:05am
Formerly known as LT

What mike said! One thing though if your DH doesn't like what mike has to say and doesn't believe him just talk to your insurance agent. I am sure that could talk some sence into him, then he wouldn't be upset at you and think you are silly. Just a thought