Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-06, 8:45pm

I have been buying all the unique stuff but i always make myself something out of it like a bead, pendant,etc. so that when it's gone i still have something made with it to hoard ( hopefully i never end up on hoarders: buried alive)

MY PRECIOUS!!!!!
Old 2012-02-06, 8:49pm

The only reason I won't make it on hoarders is that I am an organized hoarder, as apposed to a buried hoarder. You would never know it when you walked into my house but when you start to look around and start counting.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
I have been buying all the unique stuff but i always make myself something out of it like a bead, pendant,etc. so that when it's gone i still have something made with it to hoard ( hopefully i never end up on hoarders: buried alive)

MY PRECIOUS!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-07, 9:03am

You can hang onto it and when you die your relatives will deal with it. Same thing with all your "good" stuff: silver, lingere, candles, dishes, etc.

OR....

You could use it and enjoy it.

This sounds simple to use but it's like the dining room - it took awhile to get people used to eating dinner in there. They thought it was a playroom or off limits, not a place to EAT. LOL

Life is too short. Burn the candles, wear the lingere, use the dishes & silver every so often (not just holidays) and have FUN!

All that being said I know exactly what you're talking about. I've decided that if I have it and want to use it then I will. Either they'll make more of it or they won't. If they don't then there are a ton of other colors to use. That doesn't mean I don't sigh from time to time but so what. LOL
Old 2012-02-07, 9:16am

I can soooooo relate. I have glass everywhere (organized) and have lots of old, rare, out of production I could probably go on vacation if I sold it all... lol... but then I would have to inventory it, price it, sell it, ship it and then I'd want to fill up all the space that was now empty of glass. If 2mm stringer ever has value I'm good.... have a box that probably weights 20 lbs that I got when I purchased the inventory from someone going out of the business. Do I use pre-done stringer... no..... I always pull my own.

Old 2012-02-07, 9:44am
Resident hippie

What are we like?
I have some terra and I've probably used 1/100th oz of it. I got some Terra frit and have tried it and got nada from it so that's being hoarded.
I have a bit of poppy and tequila sunrise but hardly have used any of that either.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2012-02-07, 11:22am

Me too! I've held on to glass (but didn't label it - AARGH!) saving for when I got more proficient!!!!

I don't get on the torch as much as I'd like to, so I have some glass that is 4 years old and I'm not sure what it is!
Old 2012-02-07, 11:27am
Flaming my life away

Funny, in every other area of my life I'm a use it now kinda girl. Fine china - use it now, best linens - use it now. But not glass. I keep thinking that when my skills improve or I find just the right bead design I'll use those rods but when I hear people like Kimberly Affleck and Cynthia and the other really talented artists having the same issue...gosh, will I ever use that glass?
My New Year's Resolution this year was to use all my glass but I really meant all of it but the Precious! Talk about fooling yourself!
Old 2012-02-07, 12:04pm
Resident hippie

Well I just made my first Terra bead. It's in the kiln.

I made two little tabs using the Terra frit also. They don't look so great.

This thread made me think about what I'm doing with the glass if not using it.
I get free travel next month since I'll be 66. There's a danger that I''ll pop my clogs before I ever get to use these rare and special glasses that I have been collecting (for what?) over the past few years.

Old 2012-02-07, 12:25pm
Loving learning

Free travel? Tell us about that!
Old 2012-02-07, 12:33pm
Resident hippie

Yes Eileen. in Ireland when you complete your 65th year you become an "Old Age Pensioner". I could get a pension if I had contributed during my working life or if I didn't have enough from other sources to survive. It's about €200 per week. I probably won't qualify for that but free travel is nice. DH can travel free with me even though he's younger than me because I can have a companion. . I really don't feel I need it, but if it's on offer why not? You can only travel free outside rush hour though.

Old 2012-02-07, 12:35pm
Loving learning

What type of travel is that, bus, taxi, train, plane? What a great thing! I know elderly (80's and up) that have to depend on friends and family or take a cab (not free!) if they need to go to the grocery, etc.
Old 2012-02-07, 1:09pm

Hmmmm...I guess I'm just an ordinary hoarder or I don't know which glasses to hoard! Are they the ones that say "limited" or "odd" next to the name?

Since I don't know what these colors look like some of you may have to send samples my way

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-02-07, 4:02pm
Sucks at being nice

I am guilty too. The amber rose that I got in a mixed lot of glass I bought that I'm not too excited about. My 1 rod of original Nebula. The pounds of glass and frit that I really don't love, yet, but I am afraid if I get rid of them I will suddenly find the perfect use for them. I think like Leslie I am hanging on to some of it because it is too big of a hassle to sell it.

Old 2012-02-07, 4:12pm

Anna, I want to see that Terra bead I find that Terra looks best when encased. If you super heat a spot, before encasing, you can get purdy colors but that's all I know about silver glass LOL! And I'm not really even sure that's the "right" thing to do with Terra.

I like the way you think Leslie. When you said "burn the candles", I have a hard time doing that too. But I do use my dining room

Old 2012-02-09, 1:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
But I do use my dining room
For eating or glass storage Our dining room table is our glass "display". Haven't eaten there in years.
Old 2012-02-09, 2:23pm

Ladies and gentlemen..... There will be more glass tomorrow that will be 'hordable' ... then you will have even more. And then more and more!

Save a rod or two, well marked of course, but for gosh sakes use the rest and have a blast! It would be a shame to have to be buried with it.......

~
~
Old 2012-02-09, 3:04pm
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I found 2 smalls rods of Double Helix Olympia Rain that I had in a little bucket...
Hehe! They have been there for ages and I never let myself used them since this glass is not made anymore...
Yesterday, while making beads, I thought about this thread and let myself go and made a bead...

Old 2012-02-09, 3:11pm
Loving learning

And it is beautiful! Which parts are the OR, the scrolling or the base? (& if I'm thinking right, I saw they're going to make more soon)
Old 2012-02-09, 3:19pm
Tweedle Dumb

USE THEM! They are making it again! I just got seconds on the cheap. They have first quality too!

I actually hate OR (your beads are lovely, mine look like swamp scum), but it's vital for Amy's storm tutorial. I have lots of fun layering with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlee22 View Post
I found 2 smalls rods of Double Helix Olympia Rain that I had in a little bucket...
Hehe! They have been there for ages and I never let myself used them since this glass is not made anymore...
Yesterday, while making beads, I thought about this thread and let myself go and made a bead...

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-02-09, 3:32pm
Mom to 20 paws

Nope just the opposite . I use it and even use it for tester beads that dont work out and end up throwing in the forest . Yellow Ice lol I will use for spacers in a set and I dont charge and extra if I put spacers in with a set .Z99 bwahahhah dont get me going on what I do and have done with that. Ahhh I figure life is way to short to worry about what to use and what not so I just go with it.

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2012-02-09, 3:44pm

Yea Liz, your'e on your way to recovery What a gorgeous bead. You can be very happy you used your glass with those results.
Larry, I actually eat in my dining room. Go figure LOL!

I have some news too. I used some of my TE something or other
and some Terry today to make murrini

Old 2012-02-09, 3:57pm

I guess I'm lucky that way. I started adult life as a florist and cake decorator. Everything I made, no matter how beautiful, was eaten or dead within the week. This is what started my fascination with glass; the idea that I could possibly make something that might outlast me. I've spent countless hours online admiring and drooling over the collective talent in here, and I shudder to think that one of you could get hit by a bus tomorrow and all that priceless unused glass would get tossed or sold at a garage sale. Life is too short. Melt.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-02-09, 4:05pm
Tweedle Dumb

I have a "Glassy Will" so mine will be used and/or sold for a profit, a large one. I have all of my *do not use* glass seperate, and they all know that they are supposed to come here and sell it, or use it. It will not get tossed or I will come back from the dead and hurt someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobeth View Post
I guess I'm lucky that way. I started adult life as a florist and cake decorator. Everything I made, no matter how beautiful, was eaten or dead within the week. This is what started my fascination with glass; the idea that I could possibly make something that might outlast me. I've spent countless hours online admiring and drooling over the collective talent in here, and I shudder to think that one of you could get hit by a bus tomorrow and all that priceless unused glass would get tossed or sold at a garage sale. Life is too short. Melt.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-02-09, 4:25pm
MacGalver

Good idea, Jamie! I tend to horde the specialty glass I have, but one way I can trick myself into using it is by pulling stringer from the really special stuff. That way I can find out what it does, or put it back in the "too special to use" section of my glass cabinet.

Jo

Old 2012-02-09, 4:50pm
Resident hippie

I'll try and get a pic soon Cynthia. It's not as vibrant as when it went in the kiln.
Eileen it's all public transport within the country. I can even go 'up north' which is another country. No taxis or planes though. Hey, I'll manage

Old 2012-02-09, 6:31pm
Obsessed Blogger

I used to think this way but am getting over it.

I keep telling myself that if it does run out or is never made again, there will always be something else equally as intriguing. And if I can't find something to interest me as much with what is out there...then I have a problem!

::
Old 2012-02-10, 3:17am
Resident hippie

Here is my one and only Terra bead.
It is prettier IRL - the colours are gentler and more wispy.
I can see that the camera's colour is much more red than it really is.

These pics show the bead much more as it is. See the background is supposed to be white. I did these with Gimp.

Last edited by Beadanna; 2012-02-10 at 3:47am.
Old 2012-02-10, 5:56am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

The base is OR! The scroll is DH Aurea. I remember that OR on a black base have great shades of blue. Thanks all for the nice comments!
Anna, WOW! Your bead is really nice!!!!! Way to go!

Old 2012-02-10, 6:07am
Resident hippie

Thanks Liz! And I love yours!

Old 2012-02-10, 7:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensy View Post
Nope just the opposite . I use it and even use it for tester beads that dont work out and end up throwing in the forest ..... Ahhh I figure life is way to short to worry about what to use and what not so I just go with it.
do you make workshops on this???