LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-08-09, 1:25pm

Default Framing Glass Beads for Gallery Display??

Do any of you frame your glass beads for display in gallery type settings?

I'm thinking of framing some beads to go into a traveling gallery of art that requires pieces to be framed as traditionally they deal in 2D art.

I guess I'm looking for ideas and/or expamles of your framed beads (photos would be awesome!). I'm thinking a shadow box type frame would work nicely but going back and forth with background, how to mount the beads, etc... Any ideas are very much appreciated!

Thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
* website/blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-08-09, 4:09pm
Back to 👊 1

Are they going to be sample beads that you will frame or are you thinking of making it possible to remove them easily. I used to frame professionally and still do some small projects and have a couple of ideas depending on what your circumstance is.

I would just go ahead and post them now but I'm in a pinch for time.

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2010-08-09, 5:40pm
ID10T Problem Solver

At the Missouri Bead Retreat this year, some of the St. Louis girls brought frames in for the Chinese Auctions that were membranes between a frame that were really cool....I am not sure where they got them from but try sending Sir Watson (Karla) a PM and I bet she could point you in the right direction.

Edited to add:
Found them: Suspension Display Box

***Scorpion (4 stud)***

Last edited by jana; 2010-08-09 at 6:00pm.
Old 2010-08-10, 8:20am

Thanks Jana. Those are really cool! Wish it wasn't so expensive =)

I was thinking they would be framed and stay that way so they don't have to be removed easily. I have one shadow box frame that I picked up a while ago from ikea. I'm thinking of trying to drill little holes to glue in some mandrels and attach beads to the end of the mandrels but I think I want something more professional looking.

I'd love to hear your ideas Myrdlebp.

* website/blog:
Old 2010-08-10, 8:26am

Smile

Check places like Hobby Lobby and such. You can find grids, spray paint them satin black or whatever, and even make a mirrored back so that people can see the backside of the beads without having to remove them. Definately secure the beads by drilling or setting a pin in the frames to hold the bead(s) in place.

Some people even convert the old print letter trays for this purpose.....which reminds me, I have one of those drawers under a couch for a "to do" project....oops.

To do a nice presentation, you may need to customize it yourself, but I think in the end, it will be worth the effort.

Old 2010-08-10, 4:47pm
ID10T Problem Solver

I am pretty sure they got them cheaper somewhere local...there was a 25.00 limit on the prizes and they were with a bunch of items.

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2010-08-10, 9:07pm

http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/...104=suspension
Old 2010-08-11, 3:10am

1) You could probably reproduce something like the "floating" frame using most plastic sheet and an blow dryer/heat gun. Think of all the bubble-packaged products you see dangling from hooks in the hardware/drug store.

Use a pane of window glass for the front, so nobody sees the "bump" in the plastic layer.

2) For finished necklaces or other jewelry, you can buy/make flattened "bas-relief" display forms, and fill in the entire frame with similar fabric.

For example, make a simple neck and shoulders silhouette out of cardboard or foam, then cover it with grey velvet/suede fabric. Drape the necklaces on the form, then fasten the form within the rails of the frame. Stretch the same fabric across the back of the frame.

3) Most picture frame profiles do not allow easy opening from the front. You may want to consider a shallow cabinet, or hinging together 2 frames as in the "membrane" product linked to above. Or putting the glass on from the front with magnets/hinges.
Old 2010-08-12, 9:16pm

Roaming thanks for the link =) - yes, much better prices!

Great ideas Ben! Thank you!!

I'll post pictures of what I come up with, probabbly in a week or two since I'm super busy with a big show comming up and work. I really appreciate the ideas =)

* website/blog: