LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-08-24, 8:58am

Default I think I messed up with this Burn Blister.

Alright so last week I got a pretty bad burn Got a HUGE blister, I've had the blister for about a week and everyone told me to let it pop on its own. But I was dumb and decided to pop it but I think I went too far.

I put neo sporin on it right away and i'm letting the air get at it... I have a picture...it's pretty gross so you're warned.

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/u..._6803624_o.jpg
Old 2011-08-24, 9:05am
Confused as usual

yeah That does not look good , I wish my DH were home I would get his advice on how you should care for it . It looks a little raw to have it uncovered ,burns get infected very easily
Old 2011-08-24, 9:11am

I just put a bandage on it. Ugh I regret popping it. Hah
Old 2011-08-24, 9:23am
Gentleman of Leisure

This is not really medical advice but a opinion... Keep it clean, keep it covered and use antibiotic like your neosporin.... If its just red and angry like picture its probable going to be ok (in time) if it gets angrier or starts to ooze real bad or looks infected run for nearest professional medical opinion...

Yep I have done same dumb thing with blister because blister was usually a inconvenience and them I suffered for puncturing it....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-08-24, 9:24am
Flaming my life away

Just keep neosporin on it and a bandage to keep germs out. Watch it carefully, if it gets pussy or other areas of the finger start getting red, hot and sore you need to seek medical attention. Burns take a while to heal because the new skin needs to grow. Everytime you get it wet, reapply the neosporin and bandage. It would look the same if the blister broke on it's own. Hope it's not too painful.
Old 2011-08-24, 9:42am
Grateful

HOLY CARP!!! That's a gnarly burn! My advise is to see a doctor and get a prescription for Silvadene -Silver sulfadiazine-burn cream. I keep a tube of it for just such an occasion and the doc's don't hessitate to prescribe it after I tell em what I do. Seriously! It will help it heal SO much faster!!

Old 2011-08-24, 9:43am
Grateful

SERIOUSLY!! I can't stress this enough!!

Old 2011-08-24, 9:53am
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleshelle View Post
HOLY CARP!!! That's a gnarly burn! My advise is to see a doctor and get a prescription for Silvadene -Silver sulfadiazine-burn cream. I keep a tube of it for just such an occasion and the doc's don't hessitate to prescribe it after I tell em what I do. Seriously! It will help it heal SO much faster!!

A tube??? My doctor gave me a 16 oz tub. I guess he's trying to save me copays for future appointments. LOL! I keep it in the freezer (feels wonderful going on a new burn).

Old 2011-08-24, 10:10am
Grateful

Yeah-I go to the VA and they gave me 2 tubes of it last time-before I had a small tub but then I realized it had expired in 2008-oops. The tubes make it nicer to apply for sure.
And on a different note-that burn reminds me of some of the VD films they used to show us in the Navy :/

Last edited by turtleshelle; 2011-08-24 at 10:15am.
Old 2011-08-24, 10:22am
Confused as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleshelle View Post
Yeah-I go to the VA and they gave me 2 tubes of it last time-before I had a small tub but then I realized it had expired in 2008-oops. The tubes make it nicer to apply for sure.
And on a different note-that burn reminds me of some of the VD films they used to show us in the Navy :/
Ummm eewww^^ LOL I always thought silverdene was not to be applied to open raw burns, see you learn something new everyday

Last edited by Jazarra; 2011-08-24 at 10:25am.
Old 2011-08-24, 10:38am

Neosporin is not to be used for more than 3 days. Or infection could set in. Because it keeps it moist , causing bacteria to set in. So use it with caution. Let air get to it at night. Keep it clean and use a dry bandage on it. I once burn my palm of my hand really bad, making candy, the boiling syrup poured out of the pan right(handle broke on the pan) into my hand. I was taken to hospital , my burn was size of softball. The hospital told me these instructions to take care of it. So I'm passing them along.
Go to doctor and get help.
Never pop a blister!!!!
Hope it heals well.
Janet C
Old 2011-08-24, 10:46am

Yup. Looks like a burn I am a fan of allowing the burn to dry up some by not continuing ointment for more than a few days. I also tend to pop the blisters if they are in an inconvenient place. Keep it dry and clean and it should heal just fine. Not to minimize the pain or inconvenience but burns happen when you play with hot glass.
Old 2011-08-24, 10:55am

Thank you everyone for your replies, I will continue to bandage it with neosporin for another day and let it breath at night.
Old 2011-08-24, 11:49am
Entropy increasing....

You do not need to let air get to it. Injuries heal from the inside out, not from air and not from the outside in. You should keep it covered.

I've had a serious 3rd degree burn that was about 3x3 inches. Keep it covered.
Old 2011-08-24, 12:54pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

My daughter had a 3rd degree burn on her leg when she was small. The doctor told us to NEVER let it dry out. He made us keep vaseline bandages on it, along with sylvadine creme. She doesn't even have a scar from it because of the way we cared for it & it was a BAD burn!!!

Vivian

-

Old 2011-08-24, 1:29pm

just be careful

the first sign of infection go IMMEDIATELY to the hospital or you could easily lose your finger

thats a wicked burn

Old 2011-08-26, 5:33am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
My daughter had a 3rd degree burn on her leg when she was small. The doctor told us to NEVER let it dry out. He made us keep vaseline bandages on it, along with sylvadine creme. She doesn't even have a scar from it because of the way we cared for it & it was a BAD burn!!!
Ditto, never let it dry out or it takes way longer to heal

My dad burned his leg like that years ago, pre skin graft era, he had to have it dressed every other day in oily bandages

One thing they tell us with wounds on the horses too is don't change the bandages too often or you remove the cells that are there to regrow the skin

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-08-26, 8:22am
Dichro Addict

OUCH!!!! I probably would have popped it but left the skin on a little longer. I think it will be okay. Just keep it covered. Again, OUCH!!!! It looks very sore.

Old 2011-08-26, 9:14am

I keep a small tin of Burt's Bees Resque Ointment near my torch. I immediately grab it when I burn my hand, and it really helps keep the swelling down. Don't even keep the cap on the tin, just leave it ready!

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2011-08-28, 6:57am
Gentleman of Leisure

Hows the burn doing?

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal