No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-05-05, 7:23pm
Obsessive Torch Disorder

Default What is Satake glass?

and how come I've never heard of it? What a loser....can someone point me in the right direction of finding out what kind of glass this is?? and how COME I don't see more people using this, or am I just blind...

Thanks,
Lynn
Old 2006-05-05, 7:36pm
PyronamixK

Satake is a soft glass from Japan, I believe. Jo (Dogma) sells it. It is a lot softer/easier to melt than Effetre. It may have a higher lead content, as well. Lead in glass makes it clearer/sparklier.

It is not as commonly used over here in the US as Effetre and Bullseye are.

There are all kinds of glasses out there. Stick around, you're bound to come across them sooner or later.
Old 2006-05-05, 7:54pm

Hi Lynn,
Satake is a soft glass. I order it from Jo(dogmaw glass). I order the soda sample pack-beautiful colors. It also comes in lead too. I know Jo would be happy to answer your questions. Check out her site. Its full of info on Satake. Satake has a COE 113 for soda and lead is COE 120.
Hope this helps.
Janet
Old 2006-05-05, 7:55pm
Satake Woman!

We have a faq on Satake at our web site, www.dogmawglass.com

Not a whole lot of it is imported right now, which is probably why you haven't heard of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-05-05, 8:04pm
Corgi Cult Member

Haven't used it myself yet, but, do go check out the pictures. The beads made with it are so beautiful. They have a very unique look - almost translucent. The pinks alone will be reason enough to try it someday.
Kathy
Old 2006-05-06, 5:01am
Satake Woman!

Jeff Barber is our featured Satake artist for May... he makes amazing beads. If you go to our web site and click on the Gyararii link you can see them all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dogmaw; 2006-05-07 at 2:38pm.
Old 2006-05-06, 5:45am

satake has been around for a long time, but it seems that most US beadmakers tend to start out with Effetre and even though other brands exist, I think most people stick with Effetre and other 104 compatible glass as the primary glass they use. Satake has some gorgeous rich colors, including lovely pinks, blues and purples. Jo can tell you more about the prettiest colors since I haven't used my satake stash since, oh, the 90's or so! Satake is so underrated so I'm hoping that now that she is selling it more people will start using it.

Jeff's work is absolutely breathtaking Jo!

Old 2006-05-06, 6:58pm
Missing presumed fed

Isn't it also kind of expensive, as well as being much softer than we're used to? I'm not talking about Jo's prices in particular, but about Satake in general. I think it's pricey wherever you get it (except possibly in Japan, I guess).

The pastels are just luscious, though.
Old 2006-05-06, 7:01pm
Save the Numbats

Satake is very interesting stuff.
Shane Fero makes some nice stuff out of that glass as well; he had some at Corning a few years back.
I'm going to get some and try blowing with it... we'll see how that goes! Probably I'll make some aesthetically pleasing puddles.
Old 2006-05-06, 7:17pm
Satake Woman!

We will be selling Satake at 3 price levels:
under 10 lbs $22.50/lb
10lbs to 22 lbs $18.50/lb
over 22 lbs $15.50/lb

When you compare that to the price of hand pulled Moretti colors or boro colors, it isn't bad at all. In fact, I asked some people in Japan about the prices and they say that is about what they pay in the shops there for glass. Suprised me!

It is softer than Moretti. It also holds heat longer. I use a minor with one concentrator, and that is plenty of heat. A HH would be plenty of heat.

Jeff added a new bead to the gallery on our web site today... some way cool Satake bone beads.

Old 2006-05-07, 6:59pm

Default satake

http://www.glassstudio-hand.com/akigallery.htm

In Japan they use a torch with a much less focused flame. Kinda like a camp stove flame. I will see if I can find any pictures. CraiG

edit-http://www.thebeadsite.com/HIDESTR.htm

Ths isn't the exact torch that I was looking for, but it will give you an idea of the type of torch that they use for satake.

Last edited by csacks; 2006-05-07 at 7:48pm.
Old 2006-05-08, 5:40am
Satake Woman!

oooooo..... I love Akihiro Ohkama's work. He uses those wonerful flower murini that he makes. Here is a picture of the gas burner.
Attached Images

Old 2006-05-08, 5:58am

I haven't tried the satake but have the kinari. If satake is like kinari, wow! This stuff melts like a hot knife going thru warm butter. It gets very soupy... would be great for a hothead, I'm thinking. I find it difficult to control but it is fun to play with.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2006-05-08, 6:17am

You know, I think so many people would opt to keep the hh longer rather than moving up to a hotter torch if only they'd known about satake

Old 2006-05-10, 8:24am
Tam

I was going to invest in minor set up...but want to wait til I have $ for concentrator. So, I opted for the satake for now.I got my satake glass last week...Very Soft!!!! Will definately stick with hothead longer because of it!

Still have to get use to the softness of it. I can't believe how easy and quick I can make twisties and complex canes! Yea!!!

Old 2006-05-10, 9:40am
Satake Woman!

Isn't it fun? I love making latacino with it, even tho I can't spell it.

Old 2006-06-08, 9:54am
birdergirl ~o~

Can kinari and satake glass be mixed? I have some of both.
cadis
Old 2006-06-08, 10:00am
Satake Woman!

Cadis,

Unfortunately not. From what I understand the Kinari is COE 130 (approximately) and the Satake is 113 for lead and 120 for soda.

Old 2006-06-08, 4:41pm

Amazing thread, I have mother of pearl and other Satake glass and now I know why it looks like crap......my minor burner is eating it alive.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll pull out the hot head again for the Satake. Those beads posted here are nothing short of awesome.

A place to discuss current events, social justice and just plain have fun!
Old 2006-06-08, 5:03pm
Satake Woman!

River, be sure to post pictures!

Old 2006-06-09, 7:33am
Glass-a-holic

wow i need some of that !! just been looking at the gallery pics on your site Jo there are some gorgeous beads !!