Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2014-03-18, 7:08am
one day at a time

Default Question for murrini makers

Which torch are you using, and why do you think it is best for making your murrini?
Old 2014-03-18, 8:00am

Love my Scorpion with the outer flame. More important seems to be having enough oxy to power the torch. Before I got it right, it took me 30 min. to do the final melt. Now it's about 8 min!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-03-18, 9:06am

I run a Mirage most of the time. I make large, pictorial murrini and often need a lot of heat.

Robert
Old 2014-03-18, 9:19am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
Love my Scorpion with the outer flame. More important seems to be having enough oxy to power the torch. Before I got it right, it took me 30 min. to do the final melt. Now it's about 8 min!
I'm just starting out and not gathering up a lot of glass, but eventually I am going to want to do a larger pull. Now I really miss my Mini CC! The Carlisles are wonderful for that much needed radiant heat. I love GTT too, but that one will be for my boro adventures.
Old 2014-03-18, 1:26pm

mirage. Triple mix is most versatile design I have used. Can be adjusted for soft bushy radiant heat to agressive penetrating heat. They do it all well. If I couldnt afford the mirage I would go to a lynx.
Old 2014-03-18, 1:36pm
I fart diamonds

Do you still have your Bobcat? You can do some pretty large soft glass murrini on a Bobcat. Heck, DeAnne (theglasszone) uses a hothead!

Old 2014-03-18, 1:42pm
Shelarious

Check out this thread of amaaaahzing murrini by Steve Boehme, he talks about his torch a bit in there:

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...murrini-a-week

Whatever you have will work. The slower, too, in the beginning, the more you learn to read the heat and when to pull. I've melted large gathers on a Minor, then a Cricket, and now a Scorpion.

Old 2014-03-18, 6:50pm
one day at a time

I have the Bobcat and it is okay for something small but I was worried about the gather popping off the 1/4 mandrel punty. I had to constantly move back and forth to give it "insurance" heat. Gaahhh...I would not have had to do that with the Mini CC!

Yep, DeAnne makes hers with the HH and that is awesome! The bushy flame has its advantages, it seems.
Old 2014-03-19, 8:16am

Go with a triple mix instead of the bobcat. Much more versatile.
Old 2014-03-19, 9:16am
dances with ideas...

Cuda. Cause it's the only one I have at the moment.

Old 2014-03-19, 9:30am

I make mine on a Minor, but don't do big multistage pictorial ones.

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-03-19, 10:46am
da General

Barracuda. I took my torch to Loren's studio when taking his Butterfly class. My 'Cuda kept up with the Mirages and Delta Mags! (... as in, I was not lagging behind because my torch is only dual instead of three rings of flame)

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-03-19, 11:06am

+3 for Barracuda. The only problem I have is making the pull small enough so it matches my arm span.

Old 2014-03-19, 1:17pm
addicted to dichro

So far I'm happy with the hothead. I've been able to make butterflies. It can get really challenging at times but I have limited murrini making experience too.

Old 2014-03-19, 3:24pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Kim uses a Mini CC, I use a Lynx at home and some kind of Knight torch at her house. I don't like the Mini CC and she isn't crazy about the Lynx so, as always, YMMV.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2014-03-20, 9:16am
Burning through glass

I use a Minor, since that's all I have, but I know a hotter torch would get me there faster to the final melt. I'm still happy with it after all these years though.

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2014-03-20, 10:44am
one day at a time

I'm probably going to go with a Mini CC again. I made huge beads and sculptural roses with that torch. The petals were made separately and placed on a hotplate, and then later fused onto a base bead. I loved the radiant heat, and it kept this newbie from shattering that rose all over the place! It was my first time making something like that, and it was pretty big. (30mm) At the time, I really believe it was the torch that make the difference.