No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-28, 11:37am
Just Getting Started

Default Favorite COE for beadmaking?

I am in love with COE 96 glass. It is just easier for me to get the form I want--no dripping, no resistance, the rods work like butter, and the colors are just plain cool. How come most of beadmakers gravitate toward 104 COE? I think they are selling themselves short.
Old 2010-09-28, 11:39am
Tweedle Dumb

2 words. DOUBLE HELIX.

If DH was 96, I'd work 96.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-09-28, 2:59pm
I speak Murrini!

Two more words, from ME at least: HOT HEAD!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-09-28, 3:04pm
Lampworkaholic!

Why limit yourself to one coe when there are so many merits to each one? I use all of them.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-09-28, 3:35pm
Wait.....what?

Not enough room in my studio to keep all the COEs seperate.

Old 2010-09-28, 4:13pm
Angie09

Question ... do you use the same annealing schedule for 96 that you do for 104? I'd love to try it. AND where's the best place to buy some????

Last edited by Angie09; 2010-09-28 at 4:15pm.
Old 2010-09-28, 4:23pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Question ... do you use the same annealing schedule for 96 that you do for 104? I'd love to try it. AND where's the best place to buy some????
Yes, same schedule. My favorite sources:

http://www.glasscolor.com
http://www.hotglasscolor.com

Make sure you get cane, not rod.

Old 2010-09-28, 4:27pm
Angie09

Thanks Shawnette ... any colors in particular that 96 has that you can't get with 104???
Old 2010-09-28, 6:14pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I love 96 because you can go nuts with frit and not worry about compatability issues.

Old 2010-09-29, 4:47am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Thanks Shawnette ... any colors in particular that 96 has that you can't get with 104???
Pinks and purples that really are pink and purple and don't cost 2 arms and 3 legs and are ALWAYS available. (For starters)

Old 2010-09-29, 4:48am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Two more words, from ME at least: HOT HEAD!
You can use 96 on a HH. When I work on the beach, I use a HH. Heck, lots of people use BE on a HH and it's even stiffer than 96!

Old 2010-09-29, 5:52am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I love the 96coe glass & have just as much of it as 104coe. Here's a thread about 96coe glass.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25079

Vivian

-

Old 2010-09-29, 5:54am
ManBearPig

33 COE is my favorite...

Old 2010-09-29, 6:14am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
I love the 96coe glass & have just as much of it as 104coe. Here's a thread about 96coe glass.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25079
The beads in this link are GORGEOUS!! So to make sure I understand, they are using a base of 104 with the 96 layered on top?
Old 2010-09-29, 6:27am
Tweedle Dumb

You can usually get away with 104 base with 96 frit or fine stringer on top as long as you use it minimally. Good idea to garage anneal in that situation too. Helps to avoid problems with compatibility.

Quote:
The beads in this link are GORGEOUS!! So to make sure I understand, they are using a base of 104 with the 96 layered on top?

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-09-29, 6:31am
Angie09

Hi Jamie Lynne,

The reason I ask is because the beads in the link have LOTS of surface decoration and one of the posts says she even mixes 104 and 96 together to get other colors ... always thought that was a no-no.
Old 2010-09-29, 6:33am
Karen James

I am in love with BE. It's a new thing. I have a good stash of 104, but then I got a taste of BE. Now, it's my main squeeze.

It's just so much stiffer and has so much more body to it. The colors are so much more vibrant too.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2010-09-29, 8:49am
Just Getting Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Why limit yourself to one coe when there are so many merits to each one? I use all of them.

Actually, my beadmate and I do. She loves effetre, I love all glasses 96, love the fact I don't have to worry about how much frit I am using, and I am also in love with the CIM 96 glasses, which I guess they are not making much anymore. I liked Pate and buttermint 2. And Koi was pretty lucious too.

And while some 96 glasses are a little pricey, some are not at all. The Uroboros colors, the System 96 glasses are easy on the pocket.

I just like the fact that they sculpt well, easy like butter to work. I cannot think of one glass of 96 COE that is runny.
Old 2010-09-29, 9:58am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentigerbeads View Post
I cannot think of one glass of 96 COE that is runny.
You probably don't want to try 96 CoE leaded clear then.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-09-29, 1:04pm
one day at a time

I like COE 104 best because the colors retain their opacity much better. The opacity I see in the rod is pretty much what I'm going to get. I get pretty annoyed when Uroboros opal colors go translucent around the beads holes while the rest of the bead is somewhat opaque. I finally figured out how to correct the problem but it can still happen if I'm off-guard.
Old 2010-10-01, 10:14pm
Ad astra per aspera

96 for me. I'm just crazy-in-love with all of the veiled cane and love the color ranges. While there's not the selection of reactive glasses, I find I don't miss it all that much. I'm not very good with DH (etc), and really find that I like WYSIWYG design and messing with frit the best. I won't give up 104, but 96 colors just make me smile.

Old 2010-10-02, 9:10pm
Just Getting Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
You probably don't want to try 96 CoE leaded clear then.

LOL I will keep that in mind!
Old 2010-10-03, 3:09pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Question ... where's the best place to buy some????
I like this supplier because you can order small quantities:

http://www.morettiandmore.com