No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-01-11, 3:28am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

What do I love about Divardi?

I have not played with the glass for too much, but just got a 10 pound sampler parcel today.

The glass was inside PVC tubing!!! So not only was my glass protected during it's overseas trip and a South African postal services that loves to play soccer with parcels, but I also got some storage containers ...

And wow, there is some amazing colours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-13, 6:58pm

Devardiglass has silver foil now and I've just started using it....It is WONDERFUL. I played all day long and am getting some pretty wild reactions with most of their glass, I especially love it on the high density black and the earth tones, but made beads with 66 trans purple and the SIS went nuts on that color too....if anyone else comes up with cool colors will you share?? Hope to post pictures soon.
Old 2010-01-13, 8:57pm

can you post a photo baby firefly
Old 2010-01-13, 10:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessb View Post
can you post a photo baby firefly
all my beads are in the kiln as I write this. It may take a couple of days to get the photos. Hubby has the photo technology and he'll be working for the next couple nights....sleeping days I was on the Devardi website earlier and they have a pictures of their beads posted by where the silver foil is. I'm getting the same kind of "effect" and I work on a HH with bulk propane...
Old 2010-01-14, 5:29am
Hot Glass Neophyte

How exciting! Post your pics!

I want to try the "Dark Transparent Rose with Aventurine Luster Rods" - they look gorgeous. And did you see the Dichro Frit?

And I saw that they have a lot of new HAND TOOLS up like they use in the videos, plus others! It's so neat to have these things at great prices!
Old 2010-01-14, 12:06pm

Well I just ordered 3.25lbs of glass including the silver metallic black. Some of the silver foil, a couple of ounces of frit, three pandora bead mandrels and 20 silver plated inserts for the pandora beads. All for about $38 not including shipping. I had hoped to get some of the gold luster beads but they are sold out. I bought 13 1/4 pounds of different colors that I don't have. I now own almost every color except for the specialty colors. Can't wait to try everything out!

Old 2010-01-14, 12:35pm

I am trying to hold out, until the new shipment in February.

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2010-01-14, 7:41pm

I had hoped to buy another pound of the clear but will be pouncing on that when it comes out in February lol! I will eventually give the dichroic strips a try too.

Old 2010-01-14, 8:03pm

Sonja: Is the clear working good for you? Is it easy to melt, and no scum? I only had one little sample of it, as a freebie. What I had, seemed to be ok, but did not know what I was using at the time. LOL, typical of me, huh? You know me by now Sonja. And yes, I am the TYPO Queen.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-01-14, 8:16pm

I had a really hard time finding a clear that worked well on my hh (bulk propane). Big problems with scumming. Very discouraging. I dug up all I could find on clears in the forums and tried the Lauscha clear. Really nice clear, and easy to use. However, 90% of the beads I made with it cracked. No matter what I did, or what I annealed at. So I tried the Devardi and no scumming, no cracking just beautiful clear. Occasional bubbles but I get that with other transparents occasionally too. It melts like the other transparents from Devardi, is a little bit stiff but I was soooo happy to find something that didn't scum up on me.

Old 2010-01-14, 8:32pm

Ok, thanks, I will get a bunch. I have been using CIM, which is not bad, but it does scum up, if you get it even close to too hot. And I always have to clean the end, after it cools, or is a fresh rod.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-01-14, 8:34pm

One of my favorite things about Devardi is its hard to burn (except for the dichroic but I don't know that from personal experience just what I have read). And since it works slower it has given me the patience to work with some of the other 104 glass that burns easily, I am used to working a bit slower which also helps with design.

Old 2010-01-15, 12:05pm

Sonja--Lauscha clear--needs to go into kiln glowing, be glowing all the way through the bead, & anneal hotter/longer/slower than other glass. Also, there's a "soft clear" just for hothead torches...I haven't tried the soft clear yet...but if you're mixing Lauscha with anything *but* Lauscha, it's really important to put it direct into a hot kiln & make sure it's completely "glowy" all the way through & also annealed "hotter"....I'm a freak for Lauscha glass, but it does have it's "special needs" just like some colors of just about every other brand on the market . Makes up for it in every way though!
I'm so excited, I get to play with glass sat/sun & I'm taking some Devardi with me! (going to finally get to try the pink that's sitting on my shelf....)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-01-24, 7:25pm

Default bad photo, but...

devardi bead, with chalcedony (~96coe gaffer) frit on center
ends are metallic black, center was (I think?) the opaque lilac....bead was much prettier in colors in person--Sue liked it enough that she's using it for her bracelet--shown off in the "show me your seed bead work" thread in the gallery!! I got nice reactions from the gaffer frit, nice reflectivity from the metallic black, & (here's the BEST part!) NO ONE KNEW IT WAS ONE OF MY BEADS when it came out of the kiln!!! (I must be getting better at shaping!!!)

I found the lilac opaque (medium?), the transparent dark rose, & the opaque marine green to be fairly non-shocky (omg, the marine green is *wonderful!*) this go-round. The medium opaque rose blew all over the table (annoying. That will be frit at some point when I get a kiln--I'll heat it & crush it, or ask Sue to do it for me...grrr...it's such a pretty color too--but you can see the "long" air bubble running down the rods) and so did the transparent sort of denim-blue shade. . Still, for the price, I find it worth the $1.50 risk to order 1/4 pound of the shades I really like to "check" the batches that come in, & if they're good, order more, if not, turn them to 4 ounces of 104coe frit--it's not like you can buy 4 ounces of any other 104 frit for that price

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2010-01-24, 11:39pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

I was really disappointed with my Devardi order. I emailed them, and they never responded, which is also disappointing. I'm going to give it another go, but I'm discouraged.

The clear was horrible, bubbly and full of ridges on the outside. The dichro burned no matter what. The peach wasn't peach. And the list goes on. I DO work slow, even on my minor and I am pretty good at controlling where in the flame I work. I think the problem is that I like to WORK the glass. I shape, and reshape, and reshape again. I'm wondering if this is the same glass I bought at AS a year ago called "pig" glass.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-01-25, 12:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarae View Post
I was really disappointed with my Devardi order. I emailed them, and they never responded, which is also disappointing. I'm going to give it another go, but I'm discouraged.

The clear was horrible, bubbly and full of ridges on the outside. The dichro burned no matter what. The peach wasn't peach. And the list goes on. I DO work slow, even on my minor and I am pretty good at controlling where in the flame I work. I think the problem is that I like to WORK the glass. I shape, and reshape, and reshape again. I'm wondering if this is the same glass I bought at AS a year ago called "pig" glass.
I am sorry to hear that Mona. I haven't used the clear so I can't comment on that but my peach glass is a very nice colour. The dichro is very thin and delicate and if you are reworking and reworking your glass with dichro in it, Yes, you are going to have problems. Natasha and Daniel have been selling this glass for at least a year and I never saw it advertised as anything else.

Better luck in future.

Kym
Old 2010-01-25, 12:11am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Thanks for the empathy Kym. I watched the video on the dichro before I purchased, so I was aware of the issues there and don't overwork it. I also bought some really cool clear dichro beads, but unfortunately those fade too, with only enough heat to adhere them to the suface...such a bummer cuz it is sooooooo pretty in hand.

I just got my newsletter and wish I knew what new items they added. I'm waiting for the golden copper black...oooooooh so pretty.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-01-25, 4:09am

I bought some of dichro and its awfully pretty but so delicate! I think I have had two successful applications with it because I get closer and closer to the heat and also, like you, I tend to rework the bead which the dichro doesn't cope with. The best of the two was made on a thin tube on clear, dichro applied (at least so thin it goes on very easily just on the edges of the flame)
Then I encased it with ....amber.... very deeply about 3 layers.. I aimed the flame on an acute angle and tried to keep the inside of the bead much cooler than the outside edge and I ended up pressing it. It came out well with the dichro intact but it was a lot of fiddly work.

I haven't heard of the golden copper black...sounds very interesting but then I am a glitter 'ho!

Kym
Old 2010-01-25, 5:24am

I have had no problem with the clear. The outside of the rods have been irregular-but that does not mean anything to me. No scum or discoloration. The occasional bubble or two do not bother me. They have not been large.

I don't know which color peach that you got. I got a translucent shade that is very nice.

I found out the best color to cover the dicro is vetro clear. Not as stiff as the devardi-so less heat to burn it out.

The copper black looks very neat! A definite color that I need to try!
Old 2010-01-25, 7:35am
Hot Glass Neophyte

They have different quality in clears - one is a super clear and another that is not that level of lovely. I really liked their super clear, and I used the lesser grade clear where it didn't matter as much (over solid colors). These goldfish had the better clear over them.

The middle bead has dichro that was starting to spread and break down due to over working, but encasing it right away really helped!

I am careful to clean their clears with alcohol just before each using, and that really makes a difference - especially with the lesser grade of clear.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-01-26 at 5:49am.
Old 2010-01-25, 9:53am

Mona, I just got an email from Natasha this morning in answer to some questions, she has always gotten back to me right away. She mentioned that over the last several days they've been swampped with people wanting to sign up for the free glass giveaway, possibly your e-mail got "buried" in those. Try again and she'll help you.

Sonja uses the clear and has had great luck with it.....Sonja....HELLOOO. Chime in girlfriend, and give Mona a hand here.

I've used the dichro and have had great luck but I work cool, on a HH with bulk propane. It takes a bit of fiddling with to find the perfect place to work it, outside of the direct flame. I've encased with clear stringers and that works great. I burned the bejesus out of the first bead I made but after that...all went well. You can do it too !!!
Old 2010-01-25, 9:57am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to try to to make some dichro lentils, small, simple, quick, as soon as it warms up enough to open the window.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-01-25, 11:10am

I rarely have any trouble with the clear, I am on a hothead though so don't know if that has anything to do with it. The rods are not pretty but it melts very well and doesn't burn or scum which was a problem for me with a lot of the other clears. I don't think I have the super clear, just the regular. Although its on my list of things to try. If you can, preheat it, you will get much less problems with it that way.

Lunamoonshadow thank you for that tip, I do still have some of the lauscha clear and now that I have the kiln, I will give it a try glowing. I just hated to waste glass that expensive when every two out of three was cracking.

I just got some olive green transparent and opaque that I am dying to try lol. also a sample rod of the baby pink. and metallic black. Sheesh, I need another week off just to play with fire.

I do know that this is truly becoming my go to glass, the one I reach for first and most often. I love the way it melts (even when it occasionally blows up on my, I keep the pieces and make frit with it, and truly, the more I use it, the less it tends to happen. I also preheat on the top of my kiln which makes a huge difference. And sometimes I will have a rod just be toast but the next rod from the same batch is fine, so for that price and the luscious colors, if I lose a rod here and there, I am okay with that lol). the slightly more stiffness to it, and how hard it is to burn lol!

Old 2010-01-25, 11:13am

These are encased in the Devardi clear

Old 2010-01-25, 8:30pm

I didn't have any problems with the clear (devardi)--I tried the "super clear"--seemed ok--but I did burn the heck out of the dichro...I've got to give that another go & see if I can keep the sparkle attached to the glass......at least when I burnt it off it turned a nice white & not the 'ash' color that regular dichro turns--so the bead wasn't a total loss--it just looked like swirled filigrana not like "burnt dichro", if you know what I mean?

Old 2010-01-25, 9:55pm

I need to get some pix taken, but if you have not tried it yet, the transparent champagne rose is a dead ringer for the original amber rose

Old 2010-01-25, 10:14pm
Semi Retired

Carol, I can see a stampede heading toward the Devardi web site. Looking forward to the pictures.

Sonja, gorgeous pendants!

Well, I still have no luck with the dichro. Only one bead with dichro on black came out. It is just not for me because I am not a patient person. So, who wants to try it? The first person ask for it following this post gets it along with some shorts and other Devardi goodies.

|

|

|

|

Last edited by dichromary; 2010-01-25 at 10:14pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2010-01-25, 10:24pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

I wonder how the dichro fuses.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-01-25, 11:16pm

Dirchomary: I would gladly take it, and give it a try.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2010-01-26, 5:57am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Sonja - very pretty beads and findings!

Whoever works up their coming Metallic Copper or their 99.9% Pure Silver Foil please post pictures and tell about it!

They just sent out notice that their new things will be here in early March - can't wait!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi