Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-01-21, 11:39pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Sorry dot typos, typing o. A tiny screen will read tomorrow, goodniht

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-01-21, 11:57pm
I speak Murrini!

Nite sweetie! And thanks for coming to visit this thread too! The idea of using such thin stringers for dots kinda blows my mind...but I'm gonna bet it part of what I'm doing WRONG trying to put dots down with regular sized rods!

Keep the advice rolling please! And sheesh, whata we got to do to get YOU to write a full blown tut? You seem to really have these down!

Looking forward to the weather warming up a bit; way too cold in the studio to torch! Not that I wouldn't totally bundle up and freeze my face off to try these - my rods just keep going snap, crackle and pop because of the cold! Argh...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-29, 6:55pm
Mr Brutus RIP

This is another awesome floral thread. I've been trying to do a floral or two at each time at the torch. They are coming out better each time..........just need to get a better clear (thanks De!) and then I can really get them better!! Everyones florals are SO beautiful in here.........Cynthia, beautiful!!!
sue

Old 2010-03-14, 9:13pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

:jawd rop: omg. those are beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catts View Post
Hi DeAnne,
Great tut you did there. I use a lot of silver in my backgrounds & lately I’ve been using black as my first color for the petals. If I get it right it leaves just a thin black line around the petals…which makes them really show up on a light background. I have an old picture here. I love making beads but I don’t get to take many individual pictures, just groups so I can keep track of what I have when I go to shows..

To answer your question…. I use quite thick but not very long stamen canes & I plunge them pretty deep. I hold the mandrel in my left hand with the end of the stamen cane steadied by a tall marvering pad & I use glass nippers to cut it. I filed a little off the glass nippers so they close better & will cut quite small stringers.

Beautiful orchid Heather, I know what I’ll be trying tomorrow….

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-03-17, 12:36am

Hi Kelly,
Thank you for that lovely complement. I’m still making florals & I’m still taking very few pictures.. All I ever wanted to make when I first saw Lampwork was encased florals & it still thrills me when they turn out alright. These days I do make other kinds of beads, don’t tell anyone but I copy everyone….

I love it when the stamens stand out from the flowers, I hate it when a bubble hides under the stamen & there is nothing you can do without damaging the flower… Maybe it is just a drop of dew.

Cheers Kerry
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-17, 5:25am
Formerly Kellyhorton

no wonder my yellow keeps turning red! ha ha ha. it was unlabled and turned red, and stayed red........doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Kathy: What you might be using is "Rainbow Red" - it's quite a pain sometimes, and it can turn a muddy, "blood" (real blood, that is!) reddish color. I'd try Medium Red Effetre and a good Striking Red - see how that works.

Cynthia: Thanks for clarifying - now I know why I didn't get it...didn't occur to me to use this to reshape and reround the beads - but it makes perfect sense. Best part - I have one of these...now I know what to use it for (giggle!)

Thanks again everyone! Keep the goodies coming....
DeAnne in CA

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2011-01-23, 12:15pm
I speak Murrini!

Giving this wonderful thread a little BUMP since it's been a long time since anyone's posted...and since I'm STILL struggling with encased (non-murrini) florals!

Nevertheless, I find much joy and inspiration from this thread...and will continue to persevere! I've got another idea...and came back here to get perspective and a shot in the arm!

Bless all of you who can make such beautiful encased florals and continue to try and help us that can't...well, can't YET! I swear, I'll never give up on this! I may never succeed, but I'll continue trying!

Kerry (Catts): You're encased florals continue to amaze and mesmerize me! Oh, how I wish I could magically teleport to Australia and watch you work!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-01-23, 1:48pm
Rare Florida Native

Thanks for the bump De - I have been reading up on "florals" and making notes for stringer colors.......

Old 2011-01-23, 2:04pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Giving this wonderful thread a little BUMP since it's been a long time since anyone's posted...and since I'm STILL struggling with encased (non-murrini) florals!

Nevertheless, I find much joy and inspiration from this thread...and will continue to persevere! I've got another idea...and came back here to get perspective and a shot in the arm!

Bless all of you who can make such beautiful encased florals and continue to try and help us that can't...well, can't YET! I swear, I'll never give up on this! I may never succeed, but I'll continue trying!

Kerry (Catts): You're encased florals continue to amaze and mesmerize me! Oh, how I wish I could magically teleport to Australia and watch you work!

De
well i got to handle (read fondle and drool) over Kerry's florals yesterday and they are just stunning.

we should really get Kerry to post some pics of her treasure beads, i just couldnt stop looking at them either

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-01-25, 7:32pm

De, thank you for your lovely comments & I am loving your new orchid murrini, will be keeping my eye out for those. You will of course be having some for sale?

Just for you PerfectDeb, some treasure beads.... After I've made a couple of forals I always make something not so stressful. These are fun to make just dots, on dots, on dots. A good way to use up all those little bits of stringer on your desk.

Now back to the florals,

Kerry
Attached Images

Old 2011-09-13, 5:27am

I am trying to make encased florals and found this fabulous thread...

Bump!

Thank you ALL who have posted in this....

Time to go out to the garage and try again

Joan