LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-09, 12:25pm

Default Reduction issues

Hi. I have been corresponding with Bestysym, who has kindly been helping me to figure out what is going worng with my reductions. She has asked me to post pics of my problems so that she can address them in forum, for all of us who feel frustrated with this problem. I am referring to the mirror like finish that some people can get with a reduction. First of all, I want to show Betsy's beautiful success:

As you can see, the deliniation between glasses is distinct and clearly defined.

Now, here are the sample beads that i have thrown together to show my difficulties: the 1st one is a reduction of raku only, to show that I do understand a reduction flame--

Now the failures I keep getting. It would appear to me that I am fuming the surrounding glass somehow...

I have put down black, raku for the reduction, and black to define the shapes I want. I have also tried dark blue instead of the black.

Any and all help is welcome, but a special thanks to Betsymn who has generously helped me so much already. She has gorgeous beads on Etsy for sale, y'all, so have a looksee!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com

Last edited by emoon; 2009-05-09 at 3:32pm.
Old 2009-05-09, 12:40pm
Entropy increasing....

Most people don't use raku for reduction, they strike it. It's not really all that pretty as a reduction glass, it just gets dark brown metallic. You would do better to use a glass like DH Triton, R4 Black Pearl or Reichenbach Iris Gold.
Old 2009-05-09, 12:49pm
Life is change. Love it

I wish I could help, but I have never used raku as a reduction glass, I always strike it. I'm not sure what effect you want, but would suggest using some of the silver glass colours that are easy to reduce, Triton, Aurae for example.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-05-09, 1:57pm

Indeed, I have tried the DH glasses, as well. I am looking for the silver mirror effect. the problem is that whenever i try to reduce it the glass all around the silver glass, or the raku glass gets reduced as well. What I want is a way to mask out the glasses i don't want reduced and only reduce the areas that fit my designs...

Old 2009-05-09, 2:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoon View Post
What I want is a way to mask out the glasses i don't want reduced and only reduce the areas that fit my designs...
You might try reducing in the same manner you have used, then hitting the other areas of your bead with a tiny pointy oxidizing flame. I sometimes do that to remove or change reduction in areas where I don't want it.

Glass Witch: n; a sandwich to which heat and pressure have been applied
Old 2009-05-09, 2:02pm
Ready to hit the road

Hi Melodie,
Thanks for the compliments!

Don't use ivory because that will reduce.. The opaque yellows, oranges and greens work well. Another thing, as in the 3rd bead, space your dots further apart so there's more background space to set off the reduction rings more. You're getting the reduction, but you're not getting the contrast that really sets the reduction off. Think light, dark, light, dark. The reduction will really pop out if you finish with a light color encased with clear (like the Double Helix glasses). That's where I really have fun.

•

•

Old 2009-05-09, 2:42pm

Check the type of flame you are using for reduction. Some torches you only have to use the slightest reduction flame to have the glass reduce perfectly without fuming the glass around it.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2009-05-09, 2:51pm
Ready to hit the road

Melanie, here's an example. I've got the black layer, raku, black, silvered ivory, and then Pandora encased. Hope this is helping.

•

•

Old 2009-05-09, 3:24pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post
Another thing, as in the 3rd bead, space your dots further apart so there's more background space to set off the reduction rings more. You're getting the reduction, but you're not getting the contrast that really sets the reduction off. Think light, dark, light, dark.

I think this is why you're not getting the look you want either, lack of contrast. I can see that you have a metallic reduction ring between your black layers, it's just that your base color and your final color don't set it off well enough. If you use just clear over black as your last layer, all you see is black and nothing to define your last "ring".
Maybe try an experiment bead as Betsy suggested with different colors . . . . try a yellow base bead, black layer, raku layer, black layer, yellow layer, then encase the yellow with clear. I think you're closer than you realize, you just need to pick different colors.

Great beads by the way, I can see why Betsy would be an inspiration for you!!

Old 2009-05-09, 3:33pm

Thanks guys! I will try again tonight when it cools down some. The studio is baking!! When I can get something to be proud of, I will post it for sure!

Old 2009-05-09, 4:06pm
Lampworkaholic!

Also, try using the barest amount of reduction. Turn down your Oxy and just waft your bead in and out of the blue part of the reduction flame. Triton gets a mirror finish very easily that way. You don't need a raging dragon breath flame to reduce.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-05-09, 4:18pm
da General

I don't reduce Raku so am not familiar with how much of a reduction flame is needed for it. Perhaps pick a silver glass, such as Aurae, that reduces quickly in a small reducing flame?

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-05-09, 5:24pm
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyHampton View Post
Great beads by the way, I can see why Betsy would be an inspiration for you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Also, try using the barest amount of reduction. Turn down your Oxy and just waft your bead in and out of the blue part of the reduction flame. Triton gets a mirror finish very easily that way. You don't need a raging dragon breath flame to reduce.
Thanks Ginny!

Melodie is using Reichenbach, and with playing with that, it does need more reducing than DH glass. Aurae or Triton you can just give a whiff and it'll reduce nicely, but with Reichenbach's iris colors or raku, I've found I have to really push it into a reducing flame to get that metallic sheen.

•

•

Old 2009-05-10, 7:05pm
Lampworkaholic!

Melodie said she is using DH as well as Reichenbach 96:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoon View Post
Indeed, I have tried the DH glasses, as well. I am looking for the silver mirror effect. the problem is that whenever i try to reduce it the glass all around the silver glass, or the raku glass gets reduced as well. What I want is a way to mask out the glasses i don't want reduced and only reduce the areas that fit my designs...

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-05-10, 7:57pm

Okay. i will try the DH more. i got some this weekend that I will post tomorrow. i am getting shine, but it tends to the blue metallic rather than the pure silver mirror effect I admire so much in Besty's beads. But, I am not done yet!!

Old 2009-05-10, 8:50pm
I speak Murrini!

Melodie~~~

I read through the thread and please forgive me if I missed it, but what type of torch are you using? This may help us help you further...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-05-10, 8:53pm

You can always encase the bead in clear and then use a decoration of reduction color.
Old 2009-05-11, 12:25pm

I am on a Nortel Minor torch and am using all Moretti glass, except for the reduction effect. I am trying Reichenbach mostly but will be working with DH more as well to get the look I want.

It is very helpful to know that the DH can reduce way out in the blue part of the flame, by just wafting. These are subtle things that are part of the learning curve. That curve is shortened alot by your suggestions!! Going to post two pics from last night in just a few minutes. I will include the glass details so you can comment...

Thanks and keep 'em coming!

Old 2009-05-11, 12:48pm

another glass that will give you mirror finish, btw, is Dark Silver Plum Effetre..

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-05-11, 4:59pm
Ready to hit the road

Melodie,
Aurae reduces really easy!! Triton for me is a little bit harder to get the mirror finish on the dots. I can get it on the plunges really easy.

•

•

Old 2009-05-15, 8:35am

Boy, I have lots of silver plum, and I know it reduces, but I just never thought to use it in this application...duh!!

I want to add Aurae into my next glass order! I see it used in many ways and I really like that it reduces easily!!

I am close to getting what I want, thanks to all of you! Your tips have been so useful!

Bought one of Betsy's beads, and I must say, her pictures don't lie!! It's very nice!

thanks again all!!

Last edited by emoon; 2009-05-15 at 8:36am. Reason: addl.