Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-07-15, 6:28am

Default Moonstone

One of my students want to make a marble that looks like moonstone. Is there a recent color of glass that would work ?
Apart from white opalino of course.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Ebook
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Follow me on
- My
shop

Last edited by Anne Londez; 2014-07-15 at 7:08am.
Old 2014-07-15, 8:01am

The recent CIM Cirrus is nice. The first batch I had just went opaque and I thought it was me. Maybe a little silver/blue dichro inside.

Old 2014-07-15, 9:15am

I have some old Cirrus and it tends to go clear and refuse to strike back. Maybe it's been perfected since I bought it, it was a long time ago.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2014-07-15, 9:54am
Redheaded Thread Killer

I was going to say Cirrus too, but I think CIM also made "Halong Bay" - not sure if it will be too blue or not? It has that sort of moonstone appearance, from what I have seen. (Haven't used it personally.)

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2014-07-15, 2:47pm

There is a Czech Preciosa glass that works really well. The one I have is numbered 01092. It seems to be a variation on 0109. Not sure which dealer would be able to get it for you. I got it straight from the factory.
Here is an example of beads I made with it.
You could also get in touch with Preciosa, see if they might know a dealer near you. They are very helpful in my experience.
http://www.preciosa-ornela.com/glass

Old 2014-07-16, 5:32am
Unmedicated since '62

Shampoo glass

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2014-07-16, 9:16am

A thin layer of CiM Marshmallow over dichroic might do it. Halong bay is a good thought, too.
Old 2014-07-21, 11:46am
all for the love of glass

Have you ever tried Lauscha glass Anne? Look up 608 Thüringian Herb..very moon stone-ish I think.

http://www.lauschalady.com/LLGlass.html

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -- Robert Henri.
Old 2014-07-21, 8:00pm

Anne,

if you can get your hands on some clear rods of Reichenbach Silverbrown, this will do the job.

Elke
Old 2014-07-26, 6:51pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locococo View Post
Anne,

if you can get your hands on some clear rods of Reichenbach Silverbrown, this will do the job.

Elke
Wow, I love that Reichenbach!! That isn't an odd lot, is it? I hope it's available somewhere!

-Patti
Old 2014-07-27, 1:28am

Frantz Art has it.
I love using the silver brown, and it gives great effects. Have to say though, that it really depends on how you work it, and which batch you have, which result you will get. I have silver brown rods ranging in color from transparant to the color of cola. Don't think I managed to get the result that Elke shows yet, even with the transparant rods.
Old 2014-07-27, 2:31am

Yep........the rods can vary like shown here.

I described how I work the clear rods here:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...h+silver+brown

Good luck!
Elke