LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-03-28, 10:38am
Anna Duhame

Default Patterned Lenitl Tutorial, or even a nudge....

I just can't seem to make them look the way I want them to look....I think my biggest problems have to do with color...I am thinking that I need to be stacking dots...I am trying to go for kind of an Indian Sari type pattern, with paislies and such....I have things looking decent, but when I start raking I mess the whole thing up. It is driving me nuts but I need these for a jewelry project I want to make....it is good practice in any case!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hummingbird3172; 2006-03-30 at 4:12pm.
Old 2006-03-30, 4:13pm
Anna Duhame

I guess it should read...LENTIL and not Lenitl....I actually did fail typing in high school!

Old 2006-03-30, 7:08pm
TAJ

Anna ,let us see where you are coming from and maybe we could suggest some things that might help. Sounds like you got it going on just don't start
raking.
taj
Old 2006-03-30, 9:56pm
Anna Duhame

LOL....yeah, I guess it would help if I wasn't sticking them all in the water bowl...lol. I don't think the ones I made are bad...exactly...I think I just need some more layers of white or something...I feel like the colors are just...flat. I will try and get a picture of ones that survived so I can explain better. Thanks Teresa!

Old 2006-03-31, 6:00am

I vote ditch the water bowl.

I set down the worst problems and anneal the rest. Might as well see how they look. I find I often learn something from the bead after it's out of the kiln. (Just hope no one is standing there when you try to explain you knew there were problems you just wanted to see them annealed. )
Old 2006-03-31, 10:13am
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy
I vote ditch the water bowl.

I set down the worst problems and anneal the rest. Might as well see how they look. I find I often learn something from the bead after it's out of the kiln. (Just hope no one is standing there when you try to explain you knew there were problems you just wanted to see them annealed. )
OK...the latest (that lived) are actually not bad...they are OK...my biggest issues were with color and part of the reason I was hating them is the way they looked hot...of course once cooled the colors looked much better . I am just trying to get a certain look...I am going for a look kind of like Indian sari fabric, with stripes of different patterns...I guess I just need to be experimenting more...lol.

Old 2006-03-31, 10:55am
On a good hair day.

I've been working hard at learning to do floral lentils myself and I had a really hard time with the colors I wanted to use. The petals looked great until they were melted in. They got swallowed up by the base color. What I have told is that transparent bases work better than opaque because they don't do that. I have also played with a transparent base, opaque dots and transparent over those. You could try that. Or maybe clear over your colors. You would probably have to etch though to get the look I think you are looking for. I hope this helps a little.

Patricia

Old 2006-03-31, 11:14am
Anna Duhame

Ok...here they are...I think I need to be layering color more or something...they just look....flat.

Patricia, those are good ideas...I will maybe do a base of brown or black or clear..since those colors are very stiff and see if that helps!

Old 2006-03-31, 12:29pm

I think they look fine, but not if you're looking for something different. As for flat, yah, I'm thinking layering some how. (But what do I know, I mess up lentils all the time.)

I've got a couple in the kiln at the moment. I of coure hope for greatness, but may get things that look like I should start using a water bucket.
Old 2006-03-31, 1:21pm
Anna Duhame

OK...I just tried a few things...and what I found is that layering dots is the right thing....it kind of breaks up the color...and I tried a base of silvered ivory and I think that may be the direction I need to go to get the look I want. I have the problem of getting an idea in my head and then when I can't perfectly recreate it...I get mad at my beads and give them the bowl of water assassination attack, even if they aren't exactly bad...my sister has rescued many a bead from my wrath! Hoping the kiln fairy is good to you, Nancy!

Old 2006-03-31, 7:23pm

Glad you getting there. And thanks. I'm hoping the kiln fairy has something nice in the morning. (Two beads in particular ~ dang, that probably jinxed it right there. )
Old 2006-03-31, 10:50pm
Anna Duhame

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it didn't!

I kept experimenting and to get the look I wanted I need to layer dots...the hard thing is to use the right colors...I discovered that rubino and coral don't seem to get along...so I have to keep them apart...the colors I like to use together are dark sky blue, dusty pink coral, violet, copper green, opal yellow and white...then I just started layering dots and seeing what patterns I get...I had three that I am very pleased with...and I only need a few more for my bracelet so I am off to a good start...I do think I want to etch them, though...

Old 2006-04-02, 10:01am
TAJ

wright down your pattern sequence. I always get it just right than have to figure out exactly what I did. so I try to put the colors and dots down as I go.
or as soon as I put it in the kiln.
It really does help ,for me any way .I have SHORT term memory. duh
Good luck Anna, I know you can do it.
taj
Old 2006-04-03, 9:00pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by taj
wright down your pattern sequence. I always get it just right than have to figure out exactly what I did. so I try to put the colors and dots down as I go.
or as soon as I put it in the kiln.
It really does help ,for me any way .I have SHORT term memory. duh
Good luck Anna, I know you can do it.
taj
I did get some to look more like what I was going for....I think the key to getting the look is layering the dots...kind of like in scrapbooking when you alway have the pictures matted...I like the look when there are colored dots stacked.

I really like when there are several lines of patterns on one bead...it just looks like an Indian Sari to me...and I found this really cool elephant charm that I want to use with Bali beads...I thought that these would be perfect! Thank you TAJ, you are always awesome help.

I get memory problems when I work too...I need to draw it out, I do that with other things too and it makes a world of difference!

Old 2006-04-06, 11:27am

OK stupid newbie question here. When you use a press, lentil or otherwise, I am assuming you make the bead then decorate? Do you ever do it the other way, decorate your glass then press it? Holly told me this but I forgot the answer and I just ordered a press. WoooHoo Zoosiis lentil tdrio, can't wait!
Old 2006-04-07, 10:18am
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasser
OK stupid newbie question here. When you use a press, lentil or otherwise, I am assuming you make the bead then decorate? Do you ever do it the other way, decorate your glass then press it? Holly told me this but I forgot the answer and I just ordered a press. WoooHoo Zoosiis lentil tdrio, can't wait!
You usually make the design and carefully press...so it is kind of tricky, the bead can't be too hot. You will enjoy your press!

Old 2006-04-18, 2:46pm
Surrounded by Trouble

If your press is a graduated size press, You can use a smaller size, base color press it, add your decoration to it, even encase it, and than press it again on the size up.
This works best for me especially with an encased press bead.

Old 2006-04-18, 7:21pm
Formerly Travelin'gal

I always make the whole design, then press it. It takes practice though to know how much base bead and decoration to use.

~
~
~
~
~