LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-04-06, 11:22am

Default Constellation beads

I looked in the tut archive and don't see any information about these beautiful beads. I would love to see how they are made and try my hand.

Is this where I beg?
Old 2006-04-07, 6:20am
Carpe Beadum

Do you have a picture? I'm not sure what beads you mean....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2006-04-07, 6:26am
Life is change. Love it

This is probably not what you are looking for, but I'll give you the info because they are super easy to make.
Start with a base of cobalt and roll in silver foil. Add small amounts of Val's Silver Lake reactive frit and melt in. Press (or not if you want a round bead) then wave in the top of the flame to accentuate the silver outlines.
Done

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Carolyn M; 2007-05-17 at 8:39pm.
Old 2006-04-07, 7:47am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

It sounds like you do not burn off the silver foil....but how are you picking up frit after you marver the foil...mine wouldn't be hot enough?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M
This is probably not what you are looking for, but I'll give you the info because they are super easy to make.
Start with a base of cobalt and roll in silver foil. Add small amounts of Val's Silver Lake reactive frit and melt in. Press (or not if you want a round bead) then wave in the top of the flame to accentuate the silver outlines.
Done

Old 2006-04-07, 9:08am

That is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing that technique. Not exactly what I am thinking of, the bead I saw was more like looking at the night sky, one I saw gave the illusion of a milky way and stars. Seems like it was on a cobalt base. Thanks Pam
Old 2006-04-07, 9:58am
Life is change. Love it

Sorry, yes you burn the silver in before adding the frit

Old 2006-04-07, 10:13am
San Diego Toni

Default like these maybe?

Something like this??
Attached Images

Old 2006-04-07, 10:14am
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasser
That is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing that technique. Not exactly what I am thinking of, the bead I saw was more like looking at the night sky, one I saw gave the illusion of a milky way and stars. Seems like it was on a cobalt base. Thanks Pam
Hi Pam!

Here is my galaxy bead:

This was made with a cobalt base also, but with dots of rubino added before I wrapped it in foil...the rubino and the silver create the greenish gold "galaxies"..then I use stringers to twist different areas. Also there is some silvered ivory in here. This one is encased.

Try making a cobalt bead..wrapping it in silver and just melting the silver away...you have instant stars...then if you slightly reduce it...you can get "silvery milky areas"....this looks beautiful too!

Toni and Carolyn, those are beautiful!

Last edited by hummingbird3172; 2006-04-07 at 10:16am.
Old 2006-04-07, 10:17am
San Diego Toni

Thanks Anna!
Gorgeous focal!!!!! Mine are done with the same steps...I love these and make tons of them!
Old 2006-04-07, 11:52am

cool, thanks for the tips, i think i've been trying too hard

Old 2006-04-07, 12:23pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni L.
Thanks Anna!
Gorgeous focal!!!!! Mine are done with the same steps...I love these and make tons of them!
Thanks Toni! It is funny, we were posting the same idea at the same time (Twilight Zone music)! I think you got much prettier colors though!!! Mine was the only one like that I have made! LOL

Glasser, you can also make a constellation effect with fine silver wire...very pretty!

Old 2006-04-12, 3:08am
Viking Flame Keeper

A tip for making this kind of bead is to encase in Efftre or Vetrofond rather than Lauscha.
I've found (and was told by Corina) that the Lauscha clear reacts with the silver in a ugly way that Efftre/Vetrofond doesn't.

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2006-04-12, 8:20am
Is it May yet?

Is that why my silver turned kinda goldish???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikki
A tip for making this kind of bead is to encase in Efftre or Vetrofond rather than Lauscha.
I've found (and was told by Corina) that the Lauscha clear reacts with the silver in a ugly way that Efftre/Vetrofond doesn't.

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2006-04-12, 8:42am
Carpe Beadum

Silver turning goldish is usually from Effetre clear rods. Silver should stay silver if you encase with Vetrofond clear. However, if you use a very pale effetre color (like that super pale blue) then it will usually stay silver and still appear to be encased clear.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2006-04-12, 9:56am
Crazy, but happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M
Done

Hi Carolyn,

I'm a relative newbie in beadmaking and some of the 'stuff' you mention is unknown to me. Please explain what Val's Silver Lake reactive frit is and where to get it. Also, is the silver foil you mention actual silver leaf, or something else.

Thanks for your reply.

Karin

Don't hate yourself in the morning, sleep till noon.
Old 2006-04-13, 10:44pm
HourGlass Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraaloog
Hi Carolyn,

I'm a relative newbie in beadmaking and some of the 'stuff' you mention is unknown to me. Please explain what Val's Silver Lake reactive frit is and where to get it. Also, is the silver foil you mention actual silver leaf, or something else.

Thanks for your reply.

Valcox.com
Old 2006-04-14, 5:30am

Toni and Anna, Yes! those are what I was thinking of! Thank you. Now I need to go shopping as I have none of the stuff needed to make them! Thanks again, Pam
Old 2006-04-15, 5:43am
Crazy, but happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie L
Valcox.com
Thanks!

Karin

Old 2006-04-15, 8:49pm
HourGlass Studio

Hey your very welcome !!!
Old 2006-04-15, 11:19pm
San Diego Toni

Certainly! Don't forget to show us when you make them!

toni
Old 2006-04-17, 6:32am
Insane? You're Insane!

I can't wait to show mine off, I made a bracelet before I even took pictures of them. WOW I am so happy with these! Thanks for sharing how to make them.
Old 2006-04-19, 8:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraaloog
Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Kraalog:
Reduction frit (not reactive, although it does react) is frit that you can get to reduce to a silver or metallic finish in a reduction (propane-rich) flame. Silver foil is the same as silver leaf, only it's thicker & much more manageable. Leaf is very difficult to work with sometimes, even hard to pick up. Foil is also a bit more pricey due to the thickness.
Hope this helps!

Evolution is only a theory, just like, um, gravity.

SAVE THE CHEERLEADER, SAVE THE WORLD!
Old 2006-04-20, 8:20pm
Is it May yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMuse
Silver turning goldish is usually from Effetre clear rods. Silver should stay silver if you encase with Vetrofond clear. However, if you use a very pale effetre color (like that super pale blue) then it will usually stay silver and still appear to be encased clear.
I use Lauscha clear-Moretti gets too scummy for me! I have worked Lauscha for over an hour on a HH, and not burnt/scummed it yet.
But my silver usually gets a slightly yellow tint to it

Old 2006-04-21, 1:59pm
Crazy, but happy

Kimberly,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am still at the early stages of bead making and I must say that the beads you guys make are overwhelming. I don't think I'll ever be able to make those, but even slow progress is progress, right?

Some day...............................

Karin

Old 2006-04-23, 7:45pm
Is it May yet?

I made some this weekend!! So cool! I had wondered how to do this style, and at one point had heard, but I never got around to it. Who woulda thought that using cobalt and rubino and silve leaf would make green? I may have a new favorite bead style!