Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-04-27, 6:32am
Crunchy ol' Momma

Default Moretti that looks like boro?

There was a tutorial posted here a long time ago (maybe around Christmas time?) that showed how to make beads with Moretti that look like they were made with boro. It was very interesting, but now I can't find it. Help?
Old 2006-04-27, 8:31am
Oooooh Baby!

Hi, it's in tips and techniques. Here's the link:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...look+like+boro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-04-27, 8:53am
Crunchy ol' Momma

Yep, I was just coming back to say that I found it - man, that took forever!! LOL! Thanks for posting the link - maybe someone else will be interested in it too. There are some gorgeous beads in that thread!
Old 2006-05-01, 9:23pm
I'm not Barbie.

Thanks or bringing this up! What a great thread! I can't wait to try!

Donna
Old 2006-05-02, 6:12am
Crunchy ol' Momma

Okay, after several days of trying, I am just ending up with ugly beads, nothing as pretty as what was in the other thread. I'm using dark iris gold frit, melted into moretti transparent light brown, and then pulled into stringers. I'm making a base of transparent emerald green, squiggling the stringer on the base, then encasing with clear - all of my beads look like poopy. Am I doing something wrong? I would post a picture, but I'm too embarrassed. The whole experience has actually prompted me to buy a sample pack of the Northstar rods and just try the real thing ...
Old 2006-05-05, 3:56pm
I fart diamonds

I think it's supposed to be Light Iris Gold. At least that's whay I used over trans cobalt and trans red and they turned out lovely. (In color. The beads were ugly as hell 'cause that was when I 1st started, lol).

Old 2006-05-05, 8:00pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

Well, I guess I'll just have to try light iris gold then ... thanks Shawnette!! I must've gone through about an ounce of dark iris gold trying to get this to work ...
Old 2006-05-05, 10:00pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntfingers
Well, I guess I'll just have to try light iris gold then ... thanks Shawnette!! I must've gone through about an ounce of dark iris gold trying to get this to work ...
Have you tried looking at the beads under a good bright light? I made some using the same recipe and they looked rather ho-hum, but then I took them in the sunlight and WOW!!!

Also, I learned the hard way that you can't encase any "Iris" type frit by using Lauscha clear. It makes it pale and muddy looking. I use Vetrofond or Moretti to encase my "Iris" fritted beads.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2006-05-05, 11:24pm

Perfect timing for the thread. I just ordered some iris gold from Glass Diversions....Now I'm really anxious for the package so I can try this!
Irene
Old 2006-05-06, 3:18pm
Mama said

Maybe Kaye will see this thread. I remember she posted some really neat beads that looked like boro.

~Michelle
Old 2006-05-07, 8:37am
Got space flowers?

Hi there,

I also tried a few beads with this recipe and they are not bad. But in the sunlight I really like them. I made some pics:

I don't get them that nice as Lynne, but I hope you like them anyway....

I don't have that straw yellow or light brown - I want to order it today and then try it again.

Karin

Karin

Old 2006-05-07, 9:30am
HourGlass Studio

Beadfairy - Karin....

I love the first one !! What colors did you use - if its okay to ask. I love the pinky/white whispyness......very dreamy!
Old 2006-05-07, 9:51am
Got space flowers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie L
Beadfairy - Karin....

I love the first one !! What colors did you use - if its okay to ask. I love the pinky/white whispyness......very dreamy!
Hi Laurie,

thanks! Sure you can ask!

I'm trying to get the colors together (I tried so many colors yesterday and today)

I choosed 056 Moretti dark blue - wraped the irisgold over the rod and then I pulled a stringer. The base bead is 040 light amethyst and the crysal layer is Lauscha.The dots are Irisgold.

Hope this helped. If you try it with these colors please show your pic here

Have a nice week!
Karin

Karin

Old 2006-05-07, 4:42pm
Boheme Flamework Designs

Lt. iris gold will also work with the lightest color of pale amber/topaz.

Here's some that I did on striking red and carnelian.

Deb Cline
Old 2006-05-08, 6:11am
Crunchy ol' Momma

Mine looked nothing like any of your beauties! I'm not even going to post them ... ... off to the torch for more experimenting.
Old 2006-05-19, 10:24pm
HourGlass Studio

Thanks Karin
Old 2006-05-19, 10:29pm
HourGlass Studio

I finally tried this techinque today...they are in the kiln cooling down right now. So far they looked amazing. Crossing my fingers they come out of the kiln looking the same way. This was so much fun - I got into glass because I loved boro so much. I have yet to try boro because there are no teachers in the area - so this is perfect.

If they turn out I will post them - if not......well I will just try to make some more. hehe
Old 2006-05-20, 1:12am
Save the Numbats

One thing to ponder, is what makes 'boro' looks like boro?
What is the signature look that people think of when they think 'Boro'
I'd have to say its the effects that come from using colors with silver in them - Exotics, Amber Purples, Amazons, Lusters and the other striking/polychromatic colors.
There are lots of soft glass colors that have polychromatic effects around lately. To me, the Raku stuff looks like a polychromatic color that Boro just wishes it had.
Um... If I knew more about specific soft glass colors maybe I'd have more suggestions!! Oh Well!
Old 2006-05-21, 10:31am
HourGlass Studio

For me the "Boro Look" is the whispyness of the colors in the glass. Almost like smoke rising from a cigarette. You can have several colors all together in that whispyness and they dont blend together and turn grey - they remain their brilliant vibrant colors.

There is just no way to compare soft glass to hard glass. Boro has its own look. Take one boro and one soft glass bead and hold them in your hand.....you will see the difference. Its mesmerising (sp?)

Oh and my faux boro turned out amazing !!! I am so excited. I only tried it on bases on cobalt, emerald and striking red. By far my fav is cobalt.
Old 2006-05-21, 1:48pm
Crunchy ol' Momma

I actually got 2 beads to turn out great - and as soon as my mom saw them she snatched them. So, I have no picture of them - - BUT it worked!! I'll have to make some more so that I can show you guys how they turned out. I also made them on a base of transparent cobalt, and they were lovely. I'm going to try the emerald next and see what happens. The light iris gold was definitely the trick, so thank you (I think it was Shawnette who told me), because you really helped me from wasting anymore of my iris gold frit.
Old 2006-05-22, 5:02am

Smile

thank for bringing this up, love the effect on these beads I'm defenatly going to try this one!

Jacky
Old 2006-06-09, 9:10pm
A Splash o' Glass

I love the Iris gold frit, but it loses it's effect on a transparent base IMO. I just sold a set on EBay that I really loved. I made a base of opaque brown, encased that with light transparent brown, and then the Iris gold frit on top. All those pretty colors really stood out with the opaque base. I need to try this on different color opaque bases with either the transparent light brown or straw yellow encasing the base color. These two colors of transparent are so light that they shouldn't change your base color much, but yet react with the Iris gold in such a way to bring out those beautiful hues.