No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-04-06, 5:10am
"Twirl that Honey round".

Default Bases for Silver Glass

I started jotting these down last year for my own use,never thinking I was going to post this info here. Just everytime someone would mention what they used as a base for one of their beauties I would take note. So I therefore apologize if you see your favorite here and don't get credit for it. This is only done in the spirit of sharing the info to help someone else. Alot of colors are pretty sparse or non existent so if you feel like sharing what you have had sucess with please feel free to post your favorites. A third of the battle is getting a base that works well. I haven't tested each one of these combos yet,these are other folks opinions. TIM

NYX-Opal Yellow,Moretti Black,Dark Silver Plum,Lt.Violet,Cobalt,Turquoise Leaky Pen,Pale Green,Clear.

PSYCHE River Rock,Ivory,Yellow Ice,Carmel Apple,Straw Yellow,Lt.Silver Plum

KHRONOS_ Dk.Silver Plum,Ivory

Khronos2-Lt.Aqua,Medium Blue Lapis,White

GAIA-Ivory,Lt.Aqua,NYX,Silver Pink,Turquoise

ELECTRA 1-Cobalt,DK.Ivory,Black Intense,Dk.Silver Plum

TERRA-Silver Rattan,Lemon Ice,Silveres Ivory,Davinchi2,Opal Yellow

AION-Hades,Ivory,Opal Yellow

TERRANOVA-Opal Yellow,Silvered Ivory

LUNA- River Rock,Silver Plum,White,Likes to be Silvered

DAVINCHI1-Lt.Violet,Dk.Silver Plum,Opal Yellow,Carmello

VANGOGH-Ivory

MONET-Moretti Black,Cobalt,Clear,Ink Blue

PICASSO- Transparent Sage Green,Dk.Amethyst,Halong Bay,DK.Lavender.

ROCIO SILVER MIST- Cobalt

CHAGALL- Black,Cobalt

KANDINSKI-Opal Yellow,Silver Pink

MATISSE- Copper Green,Intense Black,Ivory,Moroccan Swirl

OLYMPIC RAIN- Black,Cobalt,Amethyst,Dk.Silver Plum,Carmel Apple,Ink Blue

Black Pearl-Silver Rattan,Ivory

SILVERSTONE- Tabby Grey,Ivory

WATERFALL-Ivory

ZEUS-RubinoOro,Silver Pink, Black ,Orange

MIRO-Yellow Ice

BLACK NEBULA-Amber Rose,Cobalt,Silver Plum,Straw Yellow
ELECTRA2-?
DALI-?
CEZANNE-?
PERIDOT-?
SISSLEY-?
MICHAELANGELO-?
GREEN ENVY-?
MOUNTAIN HONEY-?
DAVINCHI2-?
BLACK PEARL-?
PERIDOT-?
KHAOS-?
HURRICANE RUMBLE-?
SUPERNOVA-?
VANILLA ICE-?
CARMELLO-?
And I've bound to have left out some and more get invented. Hope this helps someone. TIM

Last edited by fcfmountain; 2008-04-06 at 11:24am. Reason: spacing for clarity
Old 2008-04-06, 6:06am
Ready to hit the road

Tim,
Thanks for posting this! I have GOT to be more organized and write things like this down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-04-06, 6:21am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Tim, that's some great information!!

Vivian

-

Old 2008-04-06, 7:16am

Thanks for putting this all down I have tried the silver glass on yellow ice and didn't like what I got can someone post a picture of what they got

R-118
Old 2008-04-06, 7:37am
yukue fumei

AWESOME!
Thanks Tim!

nagi

Old 2008-04-06, 8:31am
Life is change. Love it

I've found Hades and Silver Cinnamon to be the most consistently awesome bases for silver glass. They pretty much work for all the silver glass colours

Old 2008-04-06, 9:38am
Dangerous Woman

For Nyx and Psyche I love a very light transparent base. Either clear or a very very pale color - dosn't matter if it is green, purple, or blue. Then I use stringers of Nyx or Psyche over the clear base.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-04-06, 5:30pm
Plays with Fire

I would add Silver Cinnamon and any blue/green/purple transparent for Psyche, and transparents amber or purple (any shade works nice) for Aion.
Jen
Old 2008-04-06, 9:14pm
moth to the flame

Great list, thank you.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-04-06, 9:18pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I've found Hades and Silver Cinnamon to be the most consistently awesome bases for silver glass. They pretty much work for all the silver glass colours
I'd love to see a bead with a Hades base and silver glass on top. I finally got some Hades and want to try it.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-04-06, 10:16pm
Trying to Hope!

I love the blueish silver colors on fish pink I know it go ahead and hate me I still love fish pink

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-04-06, 10:51pm
Entropy increasing....

Silver Cinnamon, silver Rattan and Caramel Apple are fabulous with the silver colors.
Old 2008-04-06, 10:58pm

Here ya go Tink!
This is Steel Blue - a silver odd from Ron at R4 over Hades

Sissley over Hades

Unknown silver reduction glass (Picasso Blue perhaps) over Hades

I have not found a silver glass yet that does not play really well with Hades.

Old 2008-04-06, 11:29pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
I agree! I love hades and silver cinnamon with luna 2 and khaos!

and terra totally pops bright bright colors on tongue pink! I find that many of the silver colors like tongue pink...

I LOVE this thread! Great idea! I have been writing down all these things on a white board by my torch.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2008-04-06 at 11:32pm.
Old 2008-04-06, 11:37pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Thanks, Carol. Those are stunning!

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-04-07, 7:05am

Thanks!

Old 2008-04-07, 1:31pm

Thanks Tim for starting this!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-07, 1:56pm
just plain silly

Fabulous that you remembered to jot these combos down - unlike me, who can't remember what I'm using as I'm using it! Thank you for sharing!

Suzanne
Old 2008-04-07, 2:29pm

have you tried TAG Tibet yet? It's like the classic boro Amber Purple. Looks great with black, ivory, cobalt, pink (including ASK Lilac Ice) and it's *outrageous* on copper green.
Old 2008-04-07, 7:04pm

You know I had forgotten to list the "New Kids on the Block",though I think they are only "New" to 104 Silvers. Anyone else had a chance to play with Trautmans Art Glass? They deserve some time,Firebrand is having a ball with them it seems. Does your camera talk to your computer(mine doesn't),would love to see how it Plays Pretty. TIM
Old 2008-04-07, 7:57pm
Dangerous Woman

I'm not familiar with TAG. Is it 104? Where do you get it? Glass hos need to know.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-04-07, 8:03pm

It's Trautman Art Glass. Yes it's 104. Paul Trautman was the first person ever to make boro color and now he is carrying it over to soft glass. He is the former owner of Northstar. You can buy it on flamedame.com and we are going to have a quickie silver glass sale this weekend. Probably Fri,Sat, Sunday.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2008-04-09 at 6:59pm.
Old 2008-04-07, 9:36pm
Glassy Lady

I can add one. Try original DH Elektra over Effetre 049 Straw Yellow. You don't need to strike it or reduce it, just encase it.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2008-04-08, 4:31am
Gimme that silver glass!

Great thread! Thanks for the tip, there are some combo's I haven't tried yet!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-04-09, 6:55pm

Well Paula,you know how some folks get about a sale. We'll see if Uncle Sam will leave me enough to indulge in a little more play pretty stuff. Besides,it comes so highly reccommended! (any excuse will do I'm afraid) LOL
TIM
Old 2008-04-09, 7:00pm

Thanks Tim!!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-04-10, 4:49am
Striking-impared...

I've used both Electra and Gaia with copper green for a neat effect.

Old 2008-04-10, 9:56am
Missing presumed fed

Pictures would be good . . .
Old 2008-05-05, 4:13am
Most have those beadies

Tim, Thank you very much. I just love this thread.

my
my

my
my

Old 2019-03-20, 6:15pm
Formally ZiggyS

Hi! I know this thread is super old but I had to stop torching right around the time when everyone started playing with DH.
Are all these colors that are listed compatible with 104COE (not that I'll ever find 'em all now. )