LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-03, 12:55pm

Default D.H. AURAE & Kulglar clear reaction..?

I made a set with double helix aurae and encased them in kulgar clear, they all cracked. What clear should I have used? Please help...

this is the set in question.
Old 2010-01-03, 1:23pm
Living out Loud

You might ask this question in the silver exchange where they work with all of the silver glasses. My limited experience might suggest that you stick with a double helix clear Aether, just maybe that would help ensure compatibility. I'll be watching to hear what others suggest. Your bead are stunning. Sorry the cracked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-03, 3:25pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

My understanding is that Kugler often has compatibility problems.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-03, 6:44pm
Life is change. Love it

I didn't know Kugler made a compatible clear any more. I used it about 5 years ago and every bead I used it with cracked.

Old 2010-01-03, 6:50pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Yep, Kugler is the problem. I think Kugler coe is 96 and of course DH has a coe of 104. I always make a test run of a bead when I'm combining different manufacturers if I'm unsure of compatibility issues before a I put very much money into a set. Aeither would be the best bet, but I have successuflly used Moretti super clear, and Lauscha clear. However, I wouldn't recommend using the Lauscha until you do a test run first. So far everything I've tested with the Lauscha that I have, has all worked out great. I know sometimes though it is problematic. Your set looks gorgeous. Too bad they cracked.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-01-03, 7:12pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Kugler has a 104 line too, and I assumed that is what she is using, but there are a lot of compatibility problems with it.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-03, 7:17pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Oh yeah, that's right. I bought some before, AKS from Arrow Springs and still have some, then it was discontinued. I remember there were a lot of problems with the clear from that line of glass and that was 104. You can now buy it directly from Kugler and other distributors. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Patsy

Ebay:

Last edited by killerbeedz1; 2010-01-04 at 1:02am.
Old 2010-01-03, 8:01pm

Yes its 104 Kugler. I just ordered some DH Aether clear thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 2010-01-03, 8:21pm
Storm Queen

Ok...nevermind. I'm using Reichenbach clear. PHEW!

Old 2010-01-03, 9:21pm
Disconnected

My experience with Aurae is no Lauscha, no CIM, no Diamond Clear (although the latter was a bad batch)...

Old 2010-01-03, 10:54pm

I have used Lauscha with Aurae easily!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-01-03, 11:50pm
just plain silly

Thanks Flonche for your input. I was also thinking that Aurae doesn't like to be encased sometimes. I was talking to Craig (Arrowsprings) and he was saying that you can encase with ASK/Kugler but to pay attention to which silver glass you were using if you get incompatibility cracks because it is usually the fault of one silver glass and eliminate it from the encasing mix.

Suzanne
Old 2010-01-03, 11:53pm
just plain silly

Oh... and I forgot to say - Teena, what a shame your beads broke because they are REALLY gorgeous!

Suzanne
Old 2010-01-04, 1:04am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I encase aurae all of the time. It's beautiful that way.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-01-04, 7:31am
Disconnected

I said what my experience is. As usual, it's a matter of what you do and how you do it, it's not about trying to convince each other that it can be done.
It's useful to look at each people's beads and know how they work if you want to compare your results with theirs.