Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-03-01, 8:42am
Spring is coming, right?

Default The first five tools?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the boro realm. I have my first two small boro orders on the way and a nice box of shorts from one of our LE members to play with. (Thanks Craig)

What are the main tools I would need to get started? I do soft glass so I have marvers and some basic poking tools and tweezers but what else would you suggest? What can't you function without?

My projects would include beads, marbles and some small off mandrel sculptures/pendants for now. I'm working on a nortel major minor and two oxycons.

Thanks a bunch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jocelyn

Last edited by j.deskur; 2013-03-01 at 8:43am. Reason: Bad bad grammar choice! Lol
Old 2013-03-01, 8:51am

Welcome to the dark side!

The tools I use the most...
Handy Andys, a pair of needle nose pliers, some heavy duty scissors, masher, and a hotfingers/claw grabber thingy.

Have others of course, but those are used in just about everything.
Hope that helps some

(I make pendants, hearts, tops, small off mandrel sculpture... no on mandrel beads, and my marbles are horrible lol)

Last edited by untamedrose; 2013-03-01 at 8:54am.
Old 2013-03-01, 10:08am

basically the same tools for soft glass. unless you'll be making pipes...you'll need a bowl push.

get some 8mm or so boro rod for puntys.
Old 2013-03-01, 10:10am
Spring is coming, right?

That helps a lot. Thank you so much!

Jocelyn

Old 2013-03-01, 10:12am

a good marble mold!!!

Old 2013-03-01, 10:29am
Spring is coming, right?

Yes! Thanks Deb!

Jocelyn

Old 2013-03-01, 11:16am
Now part of the Dark Side

3mm and 4mm boro rods for encasing. 3mm rod can be heated white hot with a small flame, and if done properly one can encase bubble free.
Old 2013-03-01, 10:00pm
Spring is coming, right?

Great tip Roy! I never would have thought of that. Thanks!

Jocelyn

Old 2013-03-02, 5:52am
Run Free Sweet Boy

a good paddle/marver, and BIG time on a good marble mold, tungsten pick, I use a tapered graphite rod a lot as well... its a hexagon one that tapers gradually down to a very fine point.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-03-02, 12:49pm
Spring is coming, right?

How will I know what is a good marble mold and what isn't? Is there a brand that is better or is it the composition of the mold?

Thanks.

Jocelyn

Old 2013-03-02, 2:46pm
Co-owner

Jocelyn,

Check out our Scorpion marble mold. I will toss in 10 lbs. of Schott clear to get you started.
C'mon. You know you love our truffles.

Robert

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576
Old 2013-03-02, 3:13pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Infinite rim mold, best mold on the planet. I just haven't purchased one yet.

http://frittsartglass.com/marbles/molds/index.html
Old 2013-03-02, 4:32pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Molds.
Look for a very fine texture or grain size. It should be shiny and smooth; rub it with your thumb and it should feel silky almost 'wet'. The rim should be crisp and even but not 'sharp'. Kind of hard to describe but you will know it when you see it. The rim should also have a very small shiny highlight ring that sits evenly within the curve of the rim edge. Hope that makes sense.

There are many good molds out there. Many feel the infinate rim is the very best and I use mine for every marble I make BUT I finish the marble with only the rim of the infinate mold or with a regular spherical mold.

My most used tools for marbles;
Graphite plate 6" square
Small graphite paddle, 1.5" X 4"
Marble molds
Drew Fritts style marble tongs
Tungsten pick(s)
Tweezers or needle nose pliers

PJH
Old 2013-03-02, 7:17pm

A thumbs up for the one from Terminal City Glass, I have that one, two actually.

Old 2013-03-02, 11:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
Infinite rim mold, best mold on the planet. I just haven't purchased one yet.

http://frittsartglass.com/marbles/molds/index.html
I own 4 of these. No need for anything else. Get them at artcoinc.com
Old 2013-03-02, 11:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothpayne View Post
Jocelyn,

Check out our Scorpion marble mold. I will toss in 10 lbs. of Schott clear to get you started.
C'mon. You know you love our truffles.

Robert
Do bribes really help?
Old 2013-03-03, 3:32am

larry, it's a $30 mold, not some huge profit item. this guy gives more glass away to newbies then i can count. i've seen it again and again. and never once has he done it to make hundreds of dollars...

now to me, that's a good thing. maybe you see something wrong with it, but that doesn't surprise me.
Old 2013-03-03, 10:09am

I like the look of the scorpion mold. And yes if I had the money and the offer was to me the extra glass would sway my decision.

The fact that it is cheap clear glass wouldn't really be about the money. But a little extra goes a long way.
Old 2013-03-03, 11:59am
Run Free Sweet Boy

dont know anything about the scorpion marble mold,, but I ditto the infinite rim molds.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-03-03, 1:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.deskur View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the boro realm. I have my first two small boro orders on the way and a nice box of shorts from one of our LE members to play with. (Thanks Craig)

What are the main tools I would need to get started? I do soft glass so I have marvers and some basic poking tools and tweezers but what else would you suggest? What can't you function without?

My projects would include beads, marbles and some small off mandrel sculptures/pendants for now. I'm working on a nortel major minor and two oxycons.

Thanks a bunch.
Been thinking about this since you posted it. I would have atleast 5 tools needed for each of the projects you mentioned and they are not necessarily the same. In my opinion you might want to pick one of those projects and concentrate on learning how to do it well before moving on.
Old 2013-03-03, 1:29pm

[quote=istandalone24/7;4256888]larry, it's a $30 mold, not some huge profit item.

What am I missing, or misunderstanding? Went to the site and it's listed as $84.11. I own 3 IR's and don't feel any need to consider anything else......except maybe a fourth.
Old 2013-03-03, 2:03pm
Dakine glass man

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
larry, it's a $30 mold, not some huge profit item. this guy gives more glass away to newbies then i can count. i've seen it again and again. and never once has he done it to make hundreds of dollars...

now to me, that's a good thing. maybe you see something wrong with it, but that doesn't surprise me.
Your right, he doesn't do it to make hundreds. He does it to make thousands. If someone kicked me a bunch of stuff when I first started I would still be buying from them and my glass budget is about $15k a year so you do the math. Loyal customers won over at the beginning of their career. Brilliant marketing. Actually most of the marketing tactics I've seen from him are pretty smart. Get the community involved and excited, then sell them a ton of supplies. I don't see anything wrong with it... Win-Win

Sorry for thread high hacking. Here is my advice on tools.

1)med-large graphite plate ( this can act as a frit tray as well until you get one later) at least 6x6 but preferably 10x10 or larger
2) rod rests (putting hot glass on table makes it dirty and scuzzy)
3) good graphite paddle. I recommend a Menzies paddle. They are high grade and counter weighted)
4) good marble mold. Infinite rims are the best
5) handy Andy tweezers. These are the best loop/hole punchers out there. And with the removable tips, this tool will last your entire career. Also has a pick on one side and a rounded shaper on the other. Very worth $65

Other things to consider.
A water bucket
A dry scrap bucket
Good lighting
Elbow rests
Darker glasses
Floor mats(if you stand while working)
Upgrade to gtt phantom eventually (best all around torch for price)

Ok that's my $.02

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2013-03-03, 4:16pm

well my bad then.....for that kind of $ get the infinite rim.
Old 2013-03-03, 4:29pm

When talking about marble molds, I always advise people to check out this thread:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...m*+marble+mold

Click on the link and read the thread. INHO, these are the best molds around and you get what you pay for. If you're gonna do it, do it right. My opinion and worth about what ya paid for it!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2013-03-03, 6:24pm
Spring is coming, right?

Wow everyone! There are lots of great suggestions and advice to consider. Thanks so much for that. It helps a lot.

Robert, thanks so much for the generous offer. I'm dying to get my first glass order from you. Looking fwd to the truffles too! I'm sure it will be here in a couple days.

LarryC, you have a good point. Focus on one discipline at a time. I'm set up with enough tools for beads so I plan on doing those first to get a feel for how the boro behaves. Marbles thrill me to death so that will be next. Im just mesmerized by implosions. Sounds like I'm only a few tools away from starting that.

Thanks Cheng076 and Maui for the intensive lists. I'm pretty much just missing the marble mold, marble tongs and the handy Andy tool. That makes me feel better.

Everyone's input is greatly appreciated. I will consider it all. Thanks again

Jocelyn

Old 2013-03-04, 8:26am

After you decide what you want you may want to go to Talkglass.com and search through their classifieds. That site has been a great source for used stuff for me.
Old 2013-03-04, 11:47am

^^definitley. also, check out http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/g...3007134823614/
facebook lampworkers classifieds.
Old 2013-03-05, 6:47am
Spring is coming, right?

Thanks guys! I'll check both places out. Not everyone likes to ship to Canada though but if I really want something I can usually convince a person that its not too scary.

Jocelyn

Old 2013-03-05, 9:54am

Where in Canada are you Jocelyn I'm in B.C.

Old 2013-03-05, 9:59pm
Spring is coming, right?

Hi Deb. I'm in Ontario.

Jocelyn