LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-21, 4:55pm

Default CiM Glass Testing - new Sunset and Jellyfish

Hi all! I just blogged about two of the new CiM limited runs that we are testing right now. Take a look here -
http://coloraddictionblog.blogspot.c...t-ltd-run.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-02-21, 5:39pm
Glass Addict

You always do such a fantastic job with your color testing!! Thanks so much!! You ROCK!!

Old 2014-02-21, 6:03pm

Thanks Joy! I am glad you like it.

Old 2014-02-22, 7:08am
Lampworkaholic!

Very helpful review Kandice. I now *need* some Sunset.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-02-22, 4:13pm

Ooooh, pretty!

Georgia
Old 2014-02-22, 7:58pm
Wow. Just Wow.

Wow! Thanks!
Old 2014-02-23, 11:24am

Going for a lookie right now!

. Helene
Old 2014-02-28, 7:04pm

Does anyone have any idea when these and other new CIM colors will be on the market?
These are definitely "must-haves"!

FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE
Old 2014-02-28, 8:41pm

Kandice,
I so enjoy your testing and your blog on new colors!
Thank you for putting forth such a professional effort!
Jen
Old 2014-03-01, 4:45am

Well, CiM said February, but that didn't happen, so I can only assume it's very soon. Frantz's website has them listed, but you can't purchase them yet - they also say "coming soon". I hope so - I want several of the new ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassiebeads View Post
Does anyone have any idea when these and other new CIM colors will be on the market?
These are definitely "must-haves"!

Old 2014-03-01, 9:28am
yukue fumei

WOW Kandice! you make every color gorgeous….thank you for hte testing--it is always so helpful!

nagi

Old 2014-03-05, 11:35am

Sadly, the Jellyfish is ridiculously expensive. Just came out today, and I am not happy with the price. It's a gorgeous color, but I won't be buying it at that price.

Old 2014-03-05, 4:06pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

What's the difference between Jellyfish and Purple Haze? Purple Haze is 88.00 a lb.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2014-03-05, 4:21pm

Purple Haze has more of a pinkish tone, and Jellyfish is a true dark lavender. Both color shift, in different light. I blogged about both of them, so you can see pics of them on my blog.

Old 2014-03-05, 6:28pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

Thanks, I'll check!!

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2014-03-06, 6:32am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I've never had any problems with cased oranges or corals cracking but I use the old stiff Lauscha. Can't wait to see when these come out. Yum!
Old 2014-03-06, 9:23am
Queen Bee

I'm thinking not many people are going to pay $16.88 price for a quarter pound of purple glass - heck it's inching close to silver glass prices. Why is it so pricey? Reichenbach mystic violet is a beautiful purple and it's $8.50/lb when it's not on sale, and Lascha purples are about the same. What makes this so expensive?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2014-03-06, 9:42am
Lampworkaholic!

This is one color that different vendors have priced differently.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2014-03-06, 9:44am

My Jellyfish is $13.00 for a 1/4lb or you can buy by the rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
I'm thinking not many people are going to pay $16.88 price for a quarter pound of purple glass - heck it's inching close to silver glass prices. Why is it so pricey? Reichenbach mystic violet is a beautiful purple and it's $8.50/lb when it's not on sale, and Lascha purples are about the same. What makes this so expensive?

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-03-06, 10:52am

I am in the middle of moving right now but I have had Lauscha purple at half off for ages. I still have the 8 to 10 at half off which is just $12.00 a lb. It was only on sale because I had a lot of it. It is a wonderful purple and so is SuperNova which is purple with silver in it! New Lauscha is coming in at much higher prices than mine..

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-03-06, 12:39pm
Artistically Absorbed

I have to agree with some of the prices nearing silver glass prices. It would be one thing if they do cool things, but most don't. Why pay that much if you can find the colors in another line or COE, but that's just me. Some are worth it to me, and others just don't intrigue me enough for the prices.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-03-06, 12:50pm
Disconnected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoTantuli View Post
Why pay that much if you can find the colors in another line or COE
The thing is, you can't (see that bit about Effetre not producing 081), or you won't be able to in a near future. It's not about personal choices, it's about how supplies for our hobby (or for some of us, our job) are getting more and more difficult to find as raw material prices increase and production means are monopolized.

Old 2014-03-06, 3:03pm

Yeah the world is really changing...

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-03-07, 1:28am

Neither Lauscha purple and Reichenbach mystic violet are anything like Jellyfish or any other lavender, so it's not sensible to compare them.

Old 2014-03-07, 5:48am
Queen Bee

I wasn't comparing them but rather making a point that other purple glasses can be made at a reasonable cost, so why is this purple so expensive? I know there are differences in the various manufacturers and hues, but wouldn't the raw materials to make glass purple (such as manganese, etc) be pretty much the same?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2014-03-07, 7:12am
Disconnected

It is a good point Donna, but I think it's because there are as many recipes for purple as there are different purples, if that makes sense. Not two glassmakers have the same formula for the different purples in their brand and some may be more expensive to make than others, even though they all look purple to some of us. So, maybe one ingredient in the recipe for Jelly Fish and other $90/lb purples is the problem, whereas all the other ingredients that are common to other purples in the market are still available and affordable... for now.
If you could dig out more info about the mine from which the ingredient for our Jelly Fish is extracted (whatever that is), you would have part of the answer.
But even then, Paula said Lauscha prices are going up, and as for Reichenbach, that might be the case too.
Also, the cost of labor is rising fast in China, and while that's great news for the Chinese themselves, the rest of the world is having sticker shock about previously cheap manufactured goods.

Old 2014-03-07, 11:39am
A True Woofer

I think the element used to make transparent purples is neodymium and I ran across an article that said in the last 5 years the price of it has increased 10-fold. Although the same article said the price had plummeted recently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium

Old 2014-03-07, 5:40pm

China controls most of the rare element mines in the world. About 90%. Rare elements are the things that put color into your glass.

If fuel prices really explode in Europe glass could become to expensive to even make. Of course *I*have enough glass for the rest of my life so I don't have to worry about that! China has been buying up oil properties all over the world in anticipation of rising fuel prices happening so they should not be hurt as much..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_c..._color_marking

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2014-03-07 at 5:44pm.
Old 2014-03-07, 6:37pm
Chief Creative Goddess

Fabulous link Paula--thanks!!!

Old 2014-03-09, 7:22pm

welcome!

Like US on Facebook !