Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-02, 8:48am

Nice vessels! My order is due on Monday.
The book looks great!

Here is a picture of the clear drops for the chandelier. I think I am going to make two more, two of these look a tiny bit yellow to me. I have two of the purple ones done and 9 more to go. I should be able to do half of those with the glass that you guys were kind enough to send me and the rest with what I ordered. The purples ones are twice the size and a different shape. I am learning a huge amount about heat control and how glass flows lol. The purple ones are probably close to two or three inches long and fat at the bottom.

These don't look like they would be all the hard but they are heavy and the release kept breaking. And they aren't just oval drops lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-02, 9:29am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Nice vessels!

These don't look like they would be all the hard but they are heavy and the release kept breaking. And they aren't just oval drops lol.

Wow Sonja! Such even work! These would make a great Tutorial too. I can't wait to see your long ones.
Old 2010-10-02, 2:07pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default More Devardi Vessels

It's my weekend for Vessels... I got my order!

The green one has encased Goldstone swirls and I used the new Vessel Mandrel to blow it round. But I made a small hollow bead off the end of the Mandrel first. My first attempt blew a hole in the glass!

The Dk. Transparent Rose is so nice as a color. I think I will try to do the wire and chain work to finish them, and maybe the cork inserts too. I'll post pics if I do.

Anyone else making Vessels these days?

Old 2010-10-02, 5:05pm
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina, love the vessels. I too have been practicing vessels. Due to limited funds I try hard not to waste my glass so every time I blow a hole in the vessel I turn it into a silly face. You wouldn't know were I could get corks to fit the 1/4 hollow mandrels by any chance?

Name:  moms man 002.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  20.5 KB

SRA#P109
Old 2010-10-02, 5:06pm
Remember to keep smiling

Oooooops sorry about the pic size

SRA#P109
Old 2010-10-03, 7:25am
Hot Glass Neophyte

What a GREAT idea Paula - cute face! I'll remember it when I blow out my next one.

Here is a link with tiny corks for sale. She can also make up combo packs if you ask.
http://www.beadworx.com/

This is another site with more sizes but higher prices:
http://www.widgetco.com/cork-stopper...FUFl7Aodsypl0Q
Old 2010-10-03, 10:46am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Okay, here are the Vessels worked up. I got pretty elaborate I'm afraid!

Old 2010-10-04, 5:26pm

Gorgeous Kristina!

My order came today. I cannot tell you how excited I am lol. Oh my the sop purples are so beautiful! And the misty colors, and some of the oranges. Ohh and the mustard yellow! Argghhh I have to work all day tomorrow at my day job lol! I also got the rod warmer which will free up about a quarter on my kiln that I was using to pre heat the rods in.

Oh and I got opaque white, I am dying to try some of the deep rich dark transparents over the white. I am hoping that it being the same glass they wont get incompatibility cracks.

Old 2010-10-04, 5:28pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Can't wait to see and hear! Give it a whirl Sonja!
Old 2010-10-04, 9:18pm
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Default cranberry colors

Hi everyone, been a few days since I popped in... Thank you for the kind words about my beads..

Marcy.. Are you still looking for some Devardi frog green (D-123).. I do have 2 full rods and 2 short rods that I would part with.. PM me with your address and I will ship them to you...

Kristina.. WOW, wonderful vessels.. And I like how you worked them up, very pretty..

Sonja.. Beautiful water drops.. Great shape.. Would love to see the purple drops too...

Paula.. Thank you... That bead is too cute... it looks like something did not taste very good... LOL

My glass order (4 boxes) is out of Canada customs, so should be here on Wed. or Thurs.. I am so excited, I can hardly wait.. Handstands and cartwheels to those that have gotten your new glass... Now we need to see beads in all the new colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
I was using the Light trans cranberry last night. Did anyone have trouble getting it to strike red? It came out of the kiln a orange. Pretty orange-but definitely not red!
Bethany.. Congrats on the 10LB win...
I did a few test beads of the cranberry colors that I have..
Cranberry, Light Cranberry, and Extra light Cranberry... (from top to bottom).. If you look at the tip of the mandrel you get a better idea of the colors.. These were very hard to get the true colors in a picture.. The extra light cranberry is quite orange, almost a light tangerine.. The light cranberry is almost a Chinese red, which has a red-orange under tone.. The Cranberry is a true deep cranberry color when held in the light.. Hope this helps
Attached Images

Big Hugs, We all need them...

Last edited by starlightforge; 2010-10-04 at 9:36pm.
Old 2010-10-06, 6:53am

Houkje thanks for the cranberry tests! I have the extra light and the light mixed together. I will have to strike the ends so that I can keep them apart.

I love the vessels! I have not made any in at least a year. They are fun!

Sonja, have you thought about making the drops off mandrel?

My winnings came in on Tuesday. I did not have a grasp on the amount of colors Devardi has until now. Wow! I am going to keep the tagged ends for a color chart. I will have fun playing with these! I will be torching tonight and tomorrow night too!
Old 2010-10-06, 9:18am

Bethany, the drops have a hole across the top so the rod is really a must. And I stink at off mandrel work anyway lol. It has been and is a wonderful learning experience in the way glass flows and how to keep everything warm etc. I think the purple ones are close to three inches long!

I have noticed with the cranberry (at least the dark cranberry) that when you put it over white it turns into an orangey brown.

Old 2010-10-06, 9:35am
StudioMarcy

Hi Sonja, I love your drops. Have you tried super blue dip n go bead release? I use it for my asymmetrical sculptures.

Kristina- very pretty vessels.

Paula, your face makes me smile. I go to my local Ace Hardware for corks.

Houkje, I will pm you. Thank you. I like your tests. Cranberry reads differently as it lightens, doesn't it?

Bethany, glad you got your treasures. That's a lot of glass!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-10-06, 4:53pm
*Desa Elliott*

I ordered Devardi's semi-opaque Misty Golden Gray. I got it today, and I am not sure what to do with it. It is a little more strange gray than golden. Anyone else have this color, and what did you do with it? Any suggestions?

G-88
Creideamh, Sùil, Dìlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry
Old 2010-10-06, 5:45pm
StudioMarcy

that is a funky color, isn't it? I had to look it up on their website. I bet it would be a good color for casing with a nice transparent- like a deep green, or a deep turquoise. That's where I'd start. I'd also check to see what it does with silver foil... might look good.
If you could post a good photo of it, we could see it better.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-10-06, 6:05pm
*Desa Elliott*

Lol! they should have named it Bogey!

Like all colors Devardi, the bead looks exactly like the glass rod. I didn't have the time tonight to do anything but make a sample bead of a couple of colors, but I will do a little R&D on it when I get the time. Probably not until the weekend, though. When I do that, I will post a couple of pictures.

I do like the semi transparent dark violet. That is a pretty color, comparable to CIM eggplant. That is going to be part of my Autumn collection.

G-88
Creideamh, Sùil, Dìlseachd

(Scottish Gaelic: Faith, Hope, Love)

www.ETSY.com/shop/GothicGlassJewelry

Last edited by FyreFiend; 2010-10-06 at 6:10pm.
Old 2010-10-06, 6:15pm
Live and Let Live

The Misty Golden Gray was some serious frit-on-a-stick for me, even though I had preheated it under the kiln first. The finished bead was unremarkable. Pretty much an opaque white actually. The only notable trait, aside from the violent explosions, is that silvered ivory stringer really wanted to s-p-r-e-a-d on this color. No dark halo to indicate a reaction with the silver though. Glad I only got 1 rod to try it out. It's a FAIL in my pallette.

Old 2010-10-06, 6:25pm

Haven't tried the misty golden gray yet, I will have to play with it a bit, with some different things. Haven't really had time. I did try out one of the semi opaque purples, its in the kiln as we speak. Looks really yummy so far.

Old 2010-10-07, 11:49am
Companion

I have a new one with a base of a devardi transparent yellowish orange (unlabeled rod). Cracks all over

I love the devardi colors, but it's always a surprise if they explode or not and if they are compatible to my other glass...

I have several of the pink luster rods...they are nearly unusable, even if preheated. Same with two of the opaque pinks.

The colors are great, but i don't know if i'll order them again.
Attached Images

Don't you cry no more

Last edited by Steffi; 2010-10-07 at 11:51am. Reason: forgot pic
Old 2010-10-07, 12:00pm

Sorry you had trouble! I always put my devardi pink rods in the kiln until I use them.
The only incompatibility that I have had was dark trans rose encased in Vetro clear. I changed to Effetre and had no problems after that.
Old 2010-10-10, 9:17am

Hi everyone..
My glass has arrived, one 18LB box on Thurs. and three 18LB boxes Fri.... I have it all sorted but haven't had time to play... Some of the colors are very interesting and others are to die for.. I can't wait to see what all these new colors look like in beads...
It is Thanksgiving here in Canada this weekend so I will have to wait until Tue. to play..
Post pics of your beads and reactions, would love to see them...
I'm back to the kitchen... Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadian torchers...

Old 2010-10-10, 10:16am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffi View Post
I have a new one with a base of a devardi transparent yellowish orange (unlabeled rod). Cracks all over

I love the devardi colors, but it's always a surprise if they explode or not and if they are compatible to my other glass...

I have several of the pink luster rods...they are nearly unusable, even if preheated. Same with two of the opaque pinks.

The colors are great, but i don't know if i'll order them again.

Hi Steffi, do your beads go directly into a kiln when you are done? You do beautiful work!
Old 2010-10-11, 8:17am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I guess I'm stuck on vessels lately! Here's a Froggie Fellow I'm working up. He's a mix of Devardi and effetre. I'm waiting for corks to finish him.

Old 2010-10-11, 8:54am
StudioMarcy

Kristina, that's really cute. Is the vessel itself Devardi and the rest Effetre?

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-10-11, 9:26am
Hot Glass Neophyte

The vessel is a mix. The lip is Devardi's Frog Green color and the vessel and cap are effetre 027 Transparent Dark Teal. The flowers and leaves are Devardi and the frog is effetre pea green, so it's a real mixed bag!
Old 2010-10-12, 6:28am
Companion

Kristina, i work directly into my kiln...i put everything in it, even the smallest spacers.

I really love your vessels and frogs
Don't you cry no more
Old 2010-10-12, 7:53am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Steffi! They are a joy to make and I am hooked I am afraid! I would love to see more of your work. That bead is beautiful and so well done.
Old 2010-10-17, 3:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman
I have been reading through threads on Devardi glass.

Is it possible you could take a picture of your purchase.

I would liked to see the different sizes of shaped glass.

I read the rods are not straight, bumpy, and irregular.

Appreciate and please tell us the results.
Enjoy the glass!
Thanks,
Cliff
This is a PM that I got from Cliff (cman).. Cliff also said it would be okay to post his query with some pictures of some of the glass I got in the last shipment.. Hope this will help you decide to try the Devardi glass Cliff.. If you have any other questions, just ask and either myself or someone on the thread will be more than happy to answer them..
First pic. Transparent, 7 colors, 1Lb bundles.
Second pic. SOP, 7 colors, 1LB bundles.
Third pic. OP, 8 colors, 1LB bundles.
Forth pic. Stringers, 16 colors, 1/4LB bundles.
Fifth pic. Mixed Red, about 2Lbs.
Attached Images

Old 2010-10-17, 3:26pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Nice pictures Houkje. My understanding is that the rods are irregular because they are ALL hand pulled at the factory. The stringers make it really easy to use if shocking is a problem and you don't want to preheat with each use.
Old 2010-10-17, 3:42pm

Hi Kristina... Love the vessel beads.. You always do such wonderful work..
Thanks for expanding on the glass.. I did answer some of Cliff's questions in a PM to him too..
I did some test beads with the NCN-Semi-Opaque Light Lime Green and the NCN - Semi-Opaque Cranberry, here is a pic of the beads.. The leaf has vanes made with the masher with the teeth, they just don't show up very well..
Attached Images

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi