Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-04, 3:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Hey Jodi - is that the TAG Blizzard in the future wine-stopper? Or the Talc?
It is TAG pink blizzard. It is actually a darker pink in person, I'm still working on the whole photo taking part of this obsession I'd take another pic, but it has already sold.

As far as the stopper goes, it is a made of a metal that is resistant to corrosion. One customer has had one in constant use for several months now and reports no problems as of yet. Eventually I'd like to work with an all glass design, but I'm not there yet.
Old 2008-04-05, 3:25am
See my quote!!

Hi everyone,

Helen, you've been busy. Those marbles are fun.
Carol, great beads.
Jodi, ooh yummy. I just love what you are doing.
Kare, I just love your colours.

I tried to do crosses differently. Here are the results.

bbl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-04-05, 6:42am

Love them Michelle!!

Old 2008-04-05, 2:01pm
Against the Grain

Here is a pendant that I made. This one is the small version. I have the uber version as my necklace.
It's nice to see other work on here as well. Good job all.

under construction

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2008-04-05, 6:30pm
Pyromaniac

Sherri! Yay I love it! Those are fun to make.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-04-08, 7:51am
boro newbie

Here is my first attempt at a turtle. I think he turned out pretty cute.
Old 2008-04-08, 8:04pm

Great turtle Lisa!!

Old 2008-04-08, 8:53pm

Great job everyone! I always love looking at boro stuff!

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-09, 7:43am
Missing presumed fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by voic View Post
well, i heard that this kind of stooper tends to leave some kind of deposits on the bottle if it stays there for a while..
Clearly, the problem here isn't with the stopper -- it's with people who don't drink their wine fast enough.

(Remember the response to the Martha Stewart suggestion of freezing leftover wine in ice cube trays for use in sauces -- "leftover wine?")
Old 2008-04-16, 10:00am
Member of the Booger7

Well, I've posted this a few places already, but here is a marble from me.

Dianna -

Old 2008-04-16, 10:35am
Against the Grain

Cool marble!
I havent' ventured into marbles---> yet.
I like the color choices you did.

under construction

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2008-04-16, 5:29pm

Great marble Dianna!!

Sherri just realized I missed your pendent earlier. I really like the color combo super job.

Old 2008-04-19, 11:36pm

been playing with some TAG
Attached Images

Old 2008-04-20, 2:44pm

I haven't checked the thread out for quite some time...I'm way behind in comments. But I'm very impressed by what everyone is doing. I think we're going to have to rename this group to intermediates of something. Everyone is getting soooo good!

Old 2008-04-22, 7:21am

More stopper practice for me.

On the left is TAG Cobalt Blizzard striped with TAG Talc White and on the right is Momka Obsidian striped with TAG Talc White.
Old 2008-04-22, 9:04pm

Jodi! Those are terrible!! You should send them to Heidi and me right away so you don't have to look at them!!

Anything to help a friend Hehe

Old 2008-04-23, 7:32am

Definitely, Jodi! I'll relieve you of one of them! Always willing to help a friend in need

Old 2008-04-24, 12:33am
See my quote!!

Jodi, just send them both to me that way we won't have Heidi and Kare fighting over them.

“The greatest part of our happiness depends on our dispositions not our circumstances”. - Martha Washington

Old 2008-04-26, 9:00am

still playing with TAG colors... in a twisted mood
Attached Images

Old 2008-04-27, 8:55am

a few things from yesterday...
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-01, 8:03pm
Carol Bouler Owens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi_B View Post
Future wine stopper.

That's the most awesome thing i've ever seen! Beautiful!
Dogmama45
Old 2008-05-11, 3:27am
glass-a-delic

Finally, i got everything up and running!!!

I worked 7 hrs so far, starting from yesterday, and here are my first pieces:
(sorry about the photo... i tried to take it outside but my camera cant seem to focalize very well)

On the last 4 pendants on the right i tried some silver fuming (i dont want to waste any color yet) but it didnt turned out so well... the fuming is almost invisible... i runned them two times on the annealer at 1150F and then i tried to reduce them in the flame but still the silver didnt strike.. The one from the center has an implosion in it.
Maan' the loops are so difficult

The turtles were pretty fun to make

I love it!

I better get back to work.

P.S. I run my linx at 5psi propane and 15psi Oxy.

Old 2008-05-11, 10:21am
Lover of all things color

Default First boro beads and questions

I'm a newbie at boro and have a basic question. Is it true that it is more forgiving in the flame or from fracture?

And, what in the world makes it so much more beautiful? The colors are so etherial and alureing. Ya just can't make a bad bead.........(thank goodness).

For my first bead I left the side unencased so that I could see how they reduced in the flame. I much prefer the part that was encased. These two beads are the same rod, I assume that the amount of heat applied prior to encasement caused the difference in the color???

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-05-11, 12:15pm

Hi Jan!
Nice first beads! You go girl!

For the most part I have not noticed much difference between moretti and boro as far as how long you can keep a bead out of the flame before it cracks. Boro gets stiffer quicker though
You asked why are your beads different colors but from the same rod?

It could be two reasons haze and how the bead was worked (time and temperature) and flame chemistry.

Also, when you put clear on a bead it causes the heat to take longer to get to the color. If you want to develop the color to a deeper color strike it a bit longer. This is the one part of boro that makes it so interesting. You can use one rod and get so many different colors by applying clear!

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2008-05-11 at 12:20pm.
Old 2008-05-11, 7:09pm
Lover of all things color

Thanks Heidi, I love the look of boro and love both of the beads. I will have to try some more next weekend. I ordered some more rods to add to my growing collection. Guess I need to just use them....

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2008-05-11, 10:19pm

welcome to the dark side Jan!

Voic--great to see you up and running!!

Keep the pictures coming

Old 2008-05-12, 5:27am
glass-a-delic

Thanks,

Here are some more turtles at a penguin show

And here's my firt attemp at an implosion with Cobalt Blue

Old 2008-05-12, 9:01pm

Voic, love the Penquin, he looks like he is getting ready to take a bow Great job on your first implosion.

Old 2008-05-13, 11:28pm
glass-a-delic

Thanks Kare,
here's my second implosion using NS hyacint wich i think turned out pretty well... i spent 80minutes on it.. it's less than an inch.. about 2cm in diameter. trapped some bubbles in it but i like it... too bad the pictures dont show it well.... i dont know if its me or my camera...

Too bad i dont have too much time for torching... i have a big school project...

Old 2008-05-14, 4:58pm

Voic, you are doing great!!! You might try more light.