Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-07, 8:13am
Against the Grain

Question NS Fool's Gold

Anyone who has tried the NS Fool's Gold, what results did you have? I get a shimmery black with mine. If you beam light on it, you can see tiny flecks. Is this what you are getting too?

The color I am in love with is electric bronze.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
under construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2008-04-07, 10:44am
Gay rights R human rights

Im not in love with fools gold. Bubbles and boils at the sight of the flame so all i get is a pitted black blob. Its a little better when encased but its not my favorite. Anyone want to buy 1/2 lb?

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2008-04-08, 6:53am

Has anyone encased with clear and mixed it up in the clear to thin it out?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-08, 7:59am
Against the Grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamn! View Post
Has anyone encased with clear and mixed it up in the clear to thin it out?
I've quasi done that. I was thinking about encasing the rod and pulling it, but mixing in the clear sounds like a good idea.

There has to be a way of getting this glass to look good. Once I get that figured out I'll buy Tiggybubba's 1/2 pound.

under construction

D-41
Old 2008-04-08, 10:41am

Hmm or maybe some of the Technolux amber.... lolol Karen I think I might play with this today! Thanks for the sample!!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-09, 1:43pm

Work it like you'd work disco sparkle, Use a ridiculous oxy flame. Yes ill buy the 1/2 lbs.

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-04-09, 1:50pm

Let me weigh it....I think I might have 2 1/2 lots. These are short rods. The glass is very brittle and the long bundle I got was shattered on one end. I'll keep all the broken bits and weigh the longer half.

Old 2008-04-09, 3:29pm

From what I understand it breaks a lot Leslie! It must be the sparkle!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-09, 3:43pm
Against the Grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadymilkman23 View Post
Work it like you'd work disco sparkle, Use a ridiculous oxy flame. Yes ill buy the 1/2 lbs.
Disco Sparkle is not a color I know how to work. Lots of oxy, is there anything else, like treat it gentle, encase first, pull thin?

I don't have the boiling issue so it's good there.

Thanks for the tip Ben.

under construction

D-41
Old 2008-04-09, 4:08pm
crabby...who me?

Ive encased it in clear and didnt burn the shit out of it in the flame,but when it came out of the kiln it always is the sparkly black.The only way Ive got it to stay gold was put it in a fiber blanket and not the kiln.I still kinda like it.
Jeff
Old 2008-04-09, 4:11pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

It's all just sparkly black crap to me.
I was so disappointed, it looked magical on the rod.

And OH yes about the breakage.
I actually got them to refund my money on mine because
of the condition it arrived in (I'm literally working
from a bunch of nubs in a bowl). The rods practically exploded
in shipment. I know it had nothing to do with the packing, since
all the other glass wasn't even chipped. Just the fools gold.

So - crank up the oxygen and torch the hell out of it?
Any pics of the final results if done that way?
I'd post pics of mine, but to save you the time...
envision a bunch of black beads......

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-04-10, 7:31am

If it looks great in the rod there is a way to get it to look good. I guess you can stick it in a tube and melt the tube down around it and then pull out into stingers. Anybody try that? I didn't get mine out yet. lolol So I'm watching to see how you all worked it.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-11, 6:48am

Sorry i dont have any pics, I do always encase it after I apply it to my piece, otherwise it'll leave bubble holes and such. So apply then encase is what I do. I've used it with a reducing flame and it seemed to boil for me. So i cranked up my oxy (very loud hising flame) and that seemed to help alot.

When i work it I usualls get a black/gold mix. I think you can keep the gold color by using the oxy flame. Reducing for me got a blackish sparkle.

Also has anyone tried mixing this color yet? I'm hopefully going to get some torch time in this weekend if the blizzard allows me to leave my house.

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-04-11, 8:20am

I dont get torch time til Sunday but will try mixing it with clear at that time. I may encase some of the smaller chunks with tubing and then mixing the whole thing with clear.

Old 2008-04-11, 9:23am

maybe try mixing it with a white, i think that might have a neat effect

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-04-11, 10:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadymilkman23 View Post
Sorry i dont have any pics, I do always encase it after I apply it to my piece, otherwise it'll leave bubble holes and such. So apply then encase is what I do. I've used it with a reducing flame and it seemed to boil for me. So i cranked up my oxy (very loud hising flame) and that seemed to help alot.

When i work it I usualls get a black/gold mix. I think you can keep the gold color by using the oxy flame. Reducing for me got a blackish sparkle.

Also has anyone tried mixing this color yet? I'm hopefully going to get some torch time in this weekend if the blizzard allows me to leave my house.
Blizzard?? Hasn't anyone told you guys up there its Spring??

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-11, 11:13am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I've encased it in clear, mixed it in clear, used oxy, used propane, held my
tongue right, did my happy dance. Bleah. Nada.

I think that just the act of annealing it tends to make it go black too.
I had one bead stay mostly gold - but that was one I made in oxy and
just stuck in the fiber blanket (no anneal). Personally, I don't sell unannealed
beads - so that's not an option.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-04-11, 11:49am

bummer.... I will still mess with it as soon as I can... I keep saying I will play with it but
I made it to the front page of Etsy in a treasury with my some of my ribbons and am up to my elbows in orders from there and my website! doing the busy happy dance!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-13, 10:06am

JEFF!!! If this is the same gold sparkly rod you gifted me at open torch, then I have decided that I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. Is it one and the same????

Here's a marlbe I made with it.
Jo

Old 2008-04-13, 12:35pm
crabby...who me?

Yes Jo,its the same rod.
Jeff
Old 2008-04-13, 12:45pm

ARgh.... second question... WHERE CAN I GET MORE!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????
Old 2008-04-13, 4:16pm
crabby...who me?

I guess I could give you some.
Old 2008-04-13, 5:36pm

LOL
Jo Is it the purple/gold or the black or is it both?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-14, 8:18am
Against the Grain

I tried working with Fool's Gold yesterday and got a lot of gold coming through. Yay! I did a little over ivory blush.

Beautiful marbles Jo!

under construction

D-41
Old 2008-04-14, 1:31pm

Thanks, Sherri!!!

Jamn, it's both. A very very light layer of AP over the Fool's Gold is the purple that you see! and the black sparkly, that's the Fool's Gold with clear over it.

LOVE THE STUFF!!!
Jo
Old 2008-04-14, 3:22pm

So it looks like it would be fun to encase it with colors to see what kind of sparkle you get! Not just clear!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-15, 1:28pm

lol... to be honest, I wasn't particularly looking for that design, it kind of just happened, but now that I know, yes indeed I will try different encasing.
But I know I'll use very very very light colors.
I bet ex light yellow would be stellar. Will have to try.
Old 2008-04-15, 1:47pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

That's beautiful! I think I'd be game to try some. So who sells it?
Old 2008-04-15, 3:59pm
Against the Grain

Passion extreme over fool's gold. That might just work!

Good question as to who sells it. I got mine from Glasscraft with one of their email flyers. I am hoping that Northstar makes more of it.

under construction

D-41
Old 2008-05-01, 7:40am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Ahh Jeff.... what an angel you are! He sent me some Fools Gold to try along with some other colors. Thank you! That was very sweet...